O'Connor's staff dismissals

Evergrey

Since I live in Ohio :( ... I'd like to know what the Pittsburghers on here think of O'Connor's dismissal of three key staff members in response to a supposed "power struggle". I've read several articles, but the information concerning the activities that took place leading to the dismissals... has been rather cryptic... so I don't know what to make of the situation... and have no opinion whether it was warranted.

The reviews on O'Connor's radical action have been mixed... some... especially close political allies and Council members.... have praised O'Connor for staying in control while at the hospital... while accusing those dismissed of unethical and even illegal political machinations in O'Connor's absence. Conversely, many prominent community leaders are expressed shock and disdain at O'Connor's actions. Those dismissed were initially praised for their professionalism and experience outside the political realm. This was part of a strategy of promoting a new "progressive" atmosphere in Pittsburgh city government.... which may have been shattered by O'Connor's bold action. Some are concerned that Bob may have received limited and distorted information from close allies.

There were worries that an unstable power vacuum would emerge in O'Connor's absence... and apparently infighting between the professional and political factions existed even before O'Connor's hospitalization. I've been suprised and very pleased by O'Connor's brief tenure thus far... and I hope this shake-up does not have a negative effect on the momentum that has been building downtown and throughout the city.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm further away than you, but I would think that even if were in the city, we wouldn't know anymore and would only still know from what we read. That said, I'm trying to figure this out. Is it justified? Is it the mayor just flexing muscle in the hospital to show that he is very much still in charge (and if so is it still justified).

My gut agrees with the PG... what in took weeks his office falls apart? There really should be more clarification from his office on why this is good.

Additionally he has a very serious condition and can't possibly let him work at full capacity. Someone else (or two or three) has to step up and focus on certain aspects. Someone should be a point person for the downtown developments and go to the mayor when necessary, but they would do the daily follow through etc.

...and so forth

They were unelected officials and they shouldn't have been making political maneuvers to get rid of a post in a manner which contradicted an elected official's will, all based on fears that someone other than one of them could potentially become deputy mayor. It sounds like an unfortunate thing and they seem to have done themselves in, no matter how competent they were in other respects. That's if this is all true. I'm not a big fan of O'Connor, I always thought he was too much of an establishment Democrat shoed in for the job by having seniority. Even if he was trying to fill his staff with crony appointees, I don't think that behind-the-scenes posturing by well-meaning staff members was very tactful, especially while he's sick at the hospital.

Archived