Rain Gardens

LanCity

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Economic impact..... I don't think any direct impact can be linked to the rain gardens. However, if my memory serves me correctly, these rain gardens will meet rain water run off requirements that the city would have had to invest in, regardless of whether or not this came together. So its a win-win, the city gets some badly needed streetscapes and accomplishes some environmental issues that would have had to been tackled in the future. Hats off to Kathie Dunbar on this big win, she had to overcome the councilmembers that can't seem to see the big picture. If all the city has to chip in, is 70k, that's a pretty good investment.

When combined with the streetlighting, the area will definetly be a little more pedestrian friendly, as most of Michigan avenue is not really all that inviting. Who knows maybe a few new businesses will decide its time to move to Lansing, it surely looks like we are doing what we can to create the environment for small business growth.

As has been said, economically, this isn't a huge deal. But, it's a beautification project with an added bonus: it helps clean stormwater runoff, something Lansing was going to be required to do, anyway, next year. Lansing's made huge environmental strides in cleaning the Grand, and while it's still too polluted, it's the cleanest its been in many years from what I've heard, and this will only add to it and make Michigan Avenue look good.

The reason I'm so excited about this is that it's showing, with the help of Councilwoman Dunbar, that the city is moving towards being progressive and proactive, as it's been stagnant for far too long.

Lmichigan

When you run for mayor, I want to work on your campaign. By that time I hope they get light rail from Meridian Twp. to Delta. If my driving skills decline, I want to live in a place where I can still get around ...

Rain gardens sound wonderful.

Archived