Murrow Station Developoment (Greensboro)

cityboi

Add another residential project to the list of all the others. John Kavanagh, who is currently building townhomes near the ballpark plans to develop an 8 acres site in the northeastern section of downtown. It will be a major housing/office/shopping complex that will include 35,000 sq ft of commercial space and 250 residential units, including condos, live-work condos, townhomes and apartments. The development would likely include a restaurant and a small grocery. In addition to this development. The YWCA want to build a new downtown building adjacent to the mixed-use development and their plans will include a second building with 48 residential units to house the elderly. John Kavanagh and the YWCA have talked about the possibilty of including the YWCA within the 8 acre mixed-use develpment also. The site butts up against Edward R Murrow Blvd which divides downtown from the historic Aycock neighborhhood.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just read the article. this development does include Pet Dairy, but where did u get 250 units/grocery store from? i didnt see that in the article.

Its in the news print of the News & Record. If you read an article about it online, sometimes they dont have the full article.

• 5 months later...

according to WFMY news 2, this plan is moving forward and the proposal has grown from 250 residential units to 300 residential units. If John Kavanagh plans to build 300 units, we could see some tall midrises or maybe buildings that reach as high as 10 stories. I say that because 8 acres really isnt that big considering all that is being proposed in this project and to cram that many units on a site that small along with commercial buildings and a large YWCA, you have to build upward. Not to mention land needed for YWCA parking. The plan includes town homes and live-work units which will take up some land as well. It will be interesting to see further details on this project and im hoping for at least one highrise.

judging from the distance from the skyline and the pricetag, this sounds like a mixed-use village..."7 residential buildings east of downtown" according to the bizjournal. hopefully N&R will release some renderings soon so we can see whats envisioned for this corridor. with that said, im still not counting out a mid-rise.

even though this isnt exactly in downtown, this is evidence that the city is trying to better connect the surrounding neighborhoods to the center city. murrow, south elm, east market, and southside will all blur that "downtown" boundary. and thats how it should be in every city.

judging from the distance from the skyline and the pricetag, this sounds like a mixed-use village..."7 residential buildings east of downtown" according to the bizjournal. hopefully N&R will release some renderings soon so we can see whats envisioned for this corridor. with that said, im still not counting out a mid-rise.

even though this isnt exactly in downtown, this is evidence that the city is trying to better connect the surrounding neighborhoods to the center city. murrow, south elm, east market, and southside will all blur that "downtown" boundary. and thats how it should be in every city.

• 2 months later...

Looks like this will be a very nice project! I agree about the number of buildings. I believe high rise development would have looked a bit out of place here...away from the core of Elm Street. However, mid rise would have worked very well.

Nevertheless, this is yet another piece of the puzzle of downtown redevelopment This is a blight and rundown area of DT.

Development here may also trigger and continue the "sprucing up" of Summit Ave. I will cheer when that ugly Pet Dairy building comes down! Woooohoooo! :thumbsup:

I don't know much about Kavanagh. However, I have been very impressed with Brown Properties. They are using

Windsor Construction to build "Arbor House" condos. I can assure you that AH is being built "rock solid". It will be interesting to see if Windsor will be a part of this development.

One advantage of the shorter buildings, may be an added element of density due to the higher number of buildings. It all depends on how they lay things out. I'm all for adding height to downtown, but at the same time, a more tightly packed cluster of buildings makes for more of an "urban neighborhood" feel to me. Charleston SC, for example: bunch of 2-4 story buildings, but really a great place to take a stroll. I know they can't build 'em like they used to, but you get where I'm coming from. Hopefully they show some imagination in giving this development a real "community" feel, that's unique, without feeling manufactured or "tacked on" to downtown.

Archived