Are gated communities bad for society?

voyager12

I grew up on Hilton Head Island, SC in a series of "plantations" :rolleyes: Hilton Head's town symbol should be a gatehouse. Anyhow, I am not a fan. But I can see why some people, my parents included like them. They are safer and have private security patrols. If you only want to associate with people just like you it works that way too. I think they became more popular as cities decayed and people wanted their own private world away from the society at large. Which I think is unhealthy and divides people even more. These days many cities are experiencing rebirths and empty nesters are moving back downtown. I don't think the gated community craze is as popular now. Its a free country of course and some will always want to be separate and "exclusive". But trends do seem to be moving toward mixed use and mixed income walkable developments which is a good thing.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it may seem elitist, but to some people, this is an extra sense of security. Heck, some of these places even incorporate into towns. (one did outside of my city, Bermuda Run, which was a high-end developement built around a golf course.) I don't deem them bad for society or find them elitist. Now if everyone in one social class, race, etc lived in these types of neighborhoods, that would be different.

On the surface gated communities doesn't sound like such a bad idea. The reality of a private security force, and an enormous drop in the possibility of crime would appeal to almost anyone.

BUT unfortunately it does create a facade of separatism and elitism.

Here's my question: if crime was reduced to the levels as seen in Canada, would gated communities still flourish in the States?

If it's all about crime, we can probably all relate to those kinds of concerns. If it's about "being around people like yourself" with everyone else fenced out, then it smacks of elitism and economic segregation.

I see gated communities as a manifestation of people not wishing to associate with those who are different from themselves. A gated community would definitely not be for me - I don't even want a privacy fence. My ex wanted us to build a privacy fence and I had to put my foot down. I live in a city neighborhood so that I CAN be around other people. I can think of no worse thing than being separated from other people.

waccamatt you are so right. Sometimes people who live in the largest cities, are the very ones exhibiting anti-social tendancies. Seems like those kind of folks would prefer living on a remote farm or something (?)

If ya don't like cosmopolitanism, cultural diversity, racial diversity and yes, economic diversity, then why live in a city in the first place?

I agree with an earlier post which mentioned that folks who live in gated communities are the ones that really lose out in the whole thing....living in homogenized, rigidly conformist, artificial environments. It can't be pleasant in the long run......

One of the most annoying aspects of gated developments on Hilton Head is the conformity. Every single mailbox has to be the same. Every house color preapproved. Having to call in gate passes constantly for people that did not live in our "plantation". Although it was a failsafe way of not having to see people you did not like!

I couldn't live in a gated community. I would feel like I'm missing out on so much more. From a safety aspect, I could understand but overall, gated communities are a big no-no. Uptown New Orleans is definitely not a gated community in the least, this area is very diverse in terms of race & economics.

I love to shake things up; when do we get started? :yahoo:

I'm ready when you are, buddy!

What I've always wanted to do (since I want to be a hot rod builder and classic car restorer someday) is to drive some of my more raucous creations around the place...have a party now and then...generally, be the guy who's a little out of sorts, and then turn around and be as neighborly to them as anybody else would be at the same time. The point being, that I hope they would realize that even the "base element" people like myself that they are trying to get away from are not such bad people.

I like the idea of shaking things up in the gated communities! Bring 'em diversity whether they like it or not.

I'll start off the action by ringing the gate bell, and let them get a load of my blue Mohawk! lol

ps yes I really do wear a blue Mohawk:)

A blue Mohawk sounds way cool, can we see a picture?

• 7 months later...

According to today's ACT, Asheville, NC's City Council is planning on banning gated communities inside the city limits because they go against the city's inclusive spirit. A bold move, the Council is dominated by progressive Democrats and the lone Republican voted against the introductory measure. I hope Asheville's stance creates a ripple effect nationwide.

I don't think they're evil, but I really don't like them. Too many rules and the houses (McMansions) all tend to have a sameneness to them. But, some people like that sort of thing.

I had a buddy that lived in one and was happy to tell you how wonderful it was because it 'kept the riff-raff out.' He changed his tune when he got a megabuck sports bike and was written up by the HOA for parking it in his driveway.

I'm not sure. They're not for me, but if someone wants to do it I don't really see the harm.

Like the Captain's story, this one guy in a gated neighborhood here had an old school bus that he used to transport mentally challenged kids around for some group he ran. The neighborhood forced him to get it out of sight. Being rich, he simply built a massive garage in his backyard for it.

My dad is a plumber and he once parked his old truck in another evil gated neighborhood called Connifer Place here in town. The snobs there told him that his truck was too old and that he needed to park around back and to knock on the back door when he had work to do.

I had a buddy that lived in one and was happy to tell you how wonderful it was because it 'kept the riff-raff out.' He changed his tune when he got a megabuck sports bike and was written up by the HOA for parking it in his driveway.

HOAs are ridiculous to me and they aren't limited to gated neighborhoods. I visited a friend in Dallas, their house cost about $150K. He showed me the book of HOA rules, amazing. Things like "basketball goals must be portable and stored out of sight when not in use", "grass must be cut weekly", "no childrens play equipment visible from the street or within view of any neighbors"... It is amazing to me that kind of snobbery exists in a solidly middle class neighborhood.

i think if i ever lived in a place with a HOA, i'd be sure to find loopholes and make sure i flaunted breaking them. i think it's pointless. if i want to keep a basketball hoop in front of my house for my kids, who are the neighbors to tell me i can't? if i want to sell my car, whose to tell me i can't keep it in front of my house with a for sale sign on it? seriously... some of the rules are just plain dumb. if i want to paint my door red and the house black, why can't i? if i want a storm door on the front of the house, why shouldn't i be allows to have one?

Archived