Slate Hill?

designerjunkie48

He misjudged the tenant enthusiasm about locating in that neighborhood. If he had landed a major retailer, I'm sure he'd be more enthusiastic about it.

The way I read the article and previous stories was that there wasn't an intention of landing a major retailer for Slate Hill. It was going to be assisted living (and I would assume very upscale assisted living), condos (and I would assume upscale condos), boutique retail and office space. That's a big collection of retired folks with lots of discretionary income so Bass Pro sounds like a no brainer. Nordstroms surrounded by a bunch of folks in their 60s through 90s? Not so much. I also read that he isn't as enthusiastic not because of lack of retailer interest, but because you've got a bunch of old guard in Roanoke who piss and moan every time someone thinks outside of the box for a change. Seventeen flipping Hardies within 10 square miles? No problem! Some assisted living and shopping for the people who actually provide the majority of Roanoke's tax revenue? Hell no! :)

The highest income folks in general are concentrated in SW Roanoke County at this point, not close to Slate Hill (*cough* *cough* McVitty *cough* *cough*). If you look at the census maps that color regions of area counties by income it's pretty obvious where the money is. A friend of mine lives in SW Roanoke County and his 6,000 square foot house is one of the smaller ones in his neighborhood. His neighbor has a 12,000 square foot home. You don't (yet) see that kind of money in the southern edge of Roanoke because at this point all you have is Hunting Hills for affluent older folks and those upscale condos on the hill across the road. Plus with all the box stores it doesn't scream upscale as much as it once did. BUT, Slate Hill is in a great location, lots of folks including higher income folks in northern Franklin County (me included) and from southern Roanoke County funnel into Roanoke passing right by Slate Hill. And over time I believe southern Roanoke will outpace SW Roanoke County in development for all walks of life because Franklin County is the fastest growing county in the Roanoke Valley area.

Sean

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The highest income folks in general are concentrated in SW Roanoke County at this point, not close to Slate Hill (*cough* *cough* McVitty *cough* *cough*). If you look at the census maps that color regions of area counties by income it's pretty obvious where the money is.

Last I checked, Slate Hill was pretty close to Hunting Hills, and that's a pretty well-off area. Besides, this is Roanoke we're talking about. You can be from one side of town to the other in 20 minutes, so it's not as if location is as off-putting as in a larger area.

It does appear that the wealthiest people are in the 24018 zip code. But there aren't many highly visible arterial intersections is SW county that would be very accessable to anyone other than SW county residents. And the slate hill site is very accessable from that area (419) and wedged between the wealthiest part of the city (south Roanoke) and one of the wealthiest in the county (hunting hills), plus quick access via 220 S/ 581 to everywhere else in the region. It is convenient to the Franklin county side of Smith Mountain Lake, while Botetourt residents only have to drive an extra 10 minutes past Valley view to get there. My question, therefore, is why doesn't the management of Tanglewood mall understand that THEY, not ValleyView, are in a more desireable retail location. My prediction is that Tanglewood will have a major overhaul in the next 10 years, and become much more upscale (and busy).

My question, therefore, is why doesn't the management of Tanglewood mall understand that THEY, not ValleyView, are in a more desireable retail location. My prediction is that Tanglewood will have a major overhaul in the next 10 years, and become much more upscale (and busy).
They need one. Anyone who knows me knows how nostalgic I am about Tanglewood, but even with the improvements they've made, it's being wasted. It's one of the most desirable retail locations in the valley, and yet the management is letting it wither away into irrelevance.

Steven, do you have a soft spot for Tanglewood?
It was my favorite mall for a long time. I'd read children's books at Woolco, adult books at Waldenbooks, eat dinner at K&W, watch movies at Cinema I-II-III, get clothes at Leggett and JCPenney. It was the place to shop before Valley View.

I wish you could have seen Tanglewood back in the day.

Between Time-Out and the old French Quarter, Tanglewood was THE place to be for my young self. When I visited for the first time in years last Xmas, I couldn't help but think of Crossroads' decline.

Archived