CT's worst roads...

MadVlad

In today's Courant, they list a group of the most dangerous roads in CT, compiled by a group of victims of the Avon MTn crash. How they know, I have no idea, but here's a few of the roads in the Hartford area....

Rte 44 Avon Mtn..... duh

Rte 6 in Eastern CT .... duh

Rte 66 near the Arrigoni Bridge in Middletown..... ok

So, 2 are slam dunks, but what exactly is dangerous about the Arrigoni Bridge area?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's Courant, they list a group of the most dangerous roads in CT, compiled by a group of victims of the Avon MTn crash. How they know, I have no idea, but here's a few of the roads in the Hartford area....

Rte 44 Avon Mtn..... duh

Rte 6 in Eastern CT .... duh

Rte 66 near the Arrigoni Bridge in Middletown..... ok

So, 2 are slam dunks, but what exactly is dangerous about the Arrigoni Bridge area?

is that the portland bridge?

if so... that area of 66 is a bit confusing, especially on the middletown side before you get to the bridge.

if not... i don't know where the bridge is.

is that the portland bridge?

if so... that area of 66 is a bit confusing, especially on the middletown side before you get to the bridge.

if not... i don't know where the bridge is.

That bridge has seen a lot of accidents.

That bridge has seen a lot of accidents.

oh wait... i forgot how narrow the lanes are on that bridge and how people fly across it... you're literally inches from the side in the right lane and inches from cars in the left lane and cars going the othr direction. it's not a fun bridge (but it looks nice)

oh wait... i forgot how narrow the lanes are on that bridge and how people fly across it... you're literally inches from the side in the right lane and inches from cars in the left lane and cars going the othr direction. it's not a fun bridge (but it looks nice)

It is a nice bridge, but the road leading to -- and from there is bad -- on both sides. I used to go to O' Rourkes from Portland. I miss O' Rourke's.

Jim

It is a nice bridge, but the road leading to -- and from there is bad -- on both sides. I used to go to O' Rourkes from Portland. I miss O' Rourke's.

Jim

is that the awesome diner that makes a superb breakfast?

the bridge looks nice, but the lanes are too narrow if you ask me. and yes, the turns on either side of it are killer...

Exactly and people go way to fast on it at times.

Exactly and people go way to fast on it at times.

Route 44 over Avon Mountain shouldn't on that list. It's dangerous not because of design, but because it's used so frequently. There are plenty more dangerous roads that go up moutains in this state. People are so attached to their cars, they think its normal to go up and down a mountain every day and expect total safety, puh-leese.

You know what, too bad. People can't drive and actually stay in their lane, they'd rather chat on the cell phone, try to smack the kid in the backseat, put on their make-up, or whatever. If people would learn to drive, it wouldn't be a problem.

You know what, too bad. People can't drive and actually stay in their lane, they'd rather chat on the cell phone, try to smack the kid in the backseat, put on their make-up, or whatever. If people would learn to drive, it wouldn't be a problem.

i saw someone today driving a car on 495 in MA literally eating soup or something with a fork and holding the bowl with her other hand... no hands on teh wheel and no co-pilot to hold her food for her. honestly, i think people like that deserve to get into accidents... unfortunately, they usually take someone else down with them.

i also wish other states would adopt CT's cell phone law (although studies show taht hands-free sets are equally as dangerous as talking on the phone without one).

i saw someone today driving a car on 495 in MA literally eating soup or something with a fork and holding the bowl with her other hand... no hands on teh wheel and no co-pilot to hold her food for her. honestly, i think people like that deserve to get into accidents... unfortunately, they usually take someone else down with them.

i also wish other states would adopt CT's cell phone law (although studies show taht hands-free sets are equally as dangerous as talking on the phone without one).

I catch a few people here and there still holding their phone on their ear. Heck I got stopped once, but I talked the cop out of giving me a ticket. I was amazed how much of a kissass I was. It worked though!!! :D I use my headset from now on though.

I catch a few people here and there still holding their phone on their ear. Heck I got stopped once, but I talked the cop out of giving me a ticket. I was amazed how much of a kissass I was. It worked though!!! :D I use my headset from now on though.

I never talk on a cell phone while driving, headset or not. I just enjoy having 100% control of my car too much.

Ok, I drove over the Arrigoni bridge the other night (twice), and I don't see the problem. If people are paying attention, which they should be, it really is a non-issue. The Portland side is a real minor curve leading to the Bridge. The tight curve on the Middletown side is no big deal either, maybe if it was icy, but I hear they close down the Bridge when it's icy anyways. People just drive like crap, and heaven forbid they don't panic on a bridge. I don't see any difference with a different bridge. When I used to drive to Fairfield County every day, people would freak out over the Sikorsky bridge, the New Haven Tunnel, it didn't matter, anything that wasn't normal road would cause brake lights and panic....

Route 44 over Avon Mountain shouldn't on that list. It's dangerous not because of design, but because it's used so frequently. There are plenty more dangerous roads that go up moutains in this state. People are so attached to their cars, they think its normal to go up and down a mountain every day and expect total safety, puh-leese.

I have to respectfully disagree. My parents now live right on the mountain, so whenI'm in Connecticut I'm always going back and forth over the mountain. I think it's dangerous for many reasons, first and foremost are the sharp curves, especially the one right near the top of the mountain where Deercliff and Montivedeo Rd converge. That curve is way too sharp, and it only complicates things in the winter when there's snow/ice on the road. Another problematic sharp curve is the one halfway down the Avon side where the road takes a dramatic left turn. There needs to be a left lane for turning into Wright Drive there because people come speeding down the mountain, round that curve, and then have no time to stop if there is someone waiting to turn left. Also, the grade of the road, particularly on the Avon side, is very steep. It's listed at 10%. I don;t know how that ranks for roads, but just for comparison, that probably wouldn't even be a beginner trail on a ski mountain, it would be closer to an intermediate. Obviously, if people stopped speeding on the mountain, much of the accidents could be avoided, but we have to deal with the reality that almost no one goes the posted 40mph. Most people are doing 45-60mph. The DOT's plans to soften the curves and add left turn lanes will help tremendously, IMO>

Ok, I drove over the Arrigoni bridge the other night (twice), and I don't see the problem. If people are paying attention, which they should be, it really is a non-issue. The Portland side is a real minor curve leading to the Bridge. The tight curve on the Middletown side is no big deal either, maybe if it was icy, but I hear they close down the Bridge when it's icy anyways. People just drive like crap, and heaven forbid they don't panic on a bridge. I don't see any difference with a different bridge. When I used to drive to Fairfield County every day, people would freak out over the Sikorsky bridge, the New Haven Tunnel, it didn't matter, anything that wasn't normal road would cause brake lights and panic....

that bridge is really narrow. the lanes are really narrow. i think part of the problem is people don't pay enough attention like they should.

the sikorsky bridge was a different story. when it was originally installed (back when it was a steel grate), it was installed wrong. that's why when you drove over it, the tires would pull from side to side. that bridge is no longer in use (and might be gone).

Yeah, you don't even drive over the old bridge anymore, there's a brand new one. Doesn't matter though, people still slam on their brakes just because it's a bridge....

kind of like the people who do 5 under the speed limit when there's a snow flurry...

I never talk on a cell phone while driving, headset or not. I just enjoy having 100% control of my car too much.

Aren't you special...JK

How does I-95 not make the list through the Bridgeport area?

The best CT road by far is I-84 northeast of Hartford :)

I agree there. I84 past Hartford is very wide and I don't hear about to many accidents on that stretch of highway.

I'm seriously surprised that Rt 7 in Fairifield County isn't on that list. It seems like each year 3-5 people die on it. I am certain if 7 was an expressway now, there would be far less casualties and congestion.

Well, the lower part (South Norwalk) and the upper part (Danbury) pretty much are expressways. I used to drive that stretch from time to time, I didn't ever feel like that route was unsafe...

Well, the lower part (South Norwalk) and the upper part (Danbury) pretty much are expressways. I used to drive that stretch from time to time, I didn't ever feel like that route was unsafe...

Those two expressway parts are pretty safe. Other parts aren't, like making left turns out of the shopping centers and office complexs. Last year or the year before that, there was a major accident that closed a good portion of 7 in Ridgefield for 2-3 days when a was turning out of a sidestreet onto 7, hitting a fuel truck that forced both to flip over and catch on fire.

How does I-95 not make the list through the Bridgeport area?

The best CT road by far is I-84 northeast of Hartford :)

I think you might have been joking, but does a 14 lane monstrosity that makes me embarassed to take guests east of the river count as a good road? That road is a joke, completely destroyed East Hartford.

I 100% disagree. That road should be left alone, it's not everyone else's fault that people want to live in the mountains. You want to live in the mountains, live in the countryside? Fine, go there, but there are roads in Hartford that are ridiculous. Yet we are subsidizing sprawl by fixing that road. It's a shame some people died, but it still makes no sense turning a road going over a mountain that connects Hartford with some weathy sprawl housing and not much else, into a superhighway!

I'd rather turn the road into a one-lane road that stops at the top so people can get views of Hartford, and make people going across it go down to Waterbury and come back up that way! A little overdramatic I know, but it's worse to keep pumping money into route 44 when I can't drive down Broad Street in Hartford without damaging my undercar.

I have to respectfully disagree. My parents now live right on the mountain, so whenI'm in Connecticut I'm always going back and forth over the mountain. I think it's dangerous for many reasons, first and foremost are the sharp curves, especially the one right near the top of the mountain where Deercliff and Montivedeo Rd converge. That curve is way too sharp, and it only complicates things in the winter when there's snow/ice on the road. Another problematic sharp curve is the one halfway down the Avon side where the road takes a dramatic left turn. There needs to be a left lane for turning into Wright Drive there because people come speeding down the mountain, round that curve, and then have no time to stop if there is someone waiting to turn left. Also, the grade of the road, particularly on the Avon side, is very steep. It's listed at 10%. I don;t know how that ranks for roads, but just for comparison, that probably wouldn't even be a beginner trail on a ski mountain, it would be closer to an intermediate. Obviously, if people stopped speeding on the mountain, much of the accidents could be avoided, but we have to deal with the reality that almost no one goes the posted 40mph. Most people are doing 45-60mph. The DOT's plans to soften the curves and add left turn lanes will help tremendously, IMO>

I 100% disagree. That road should be left alone, it's not everyone else's fault that people want to live in the mountains. You want to live in the mountains, live in the countryside? Fine, go there, but there are roads in Hartford that are ridiculous. Yet we are subsidizing sprawl by fixing that road. It's a shame some people died, but it still makes no sense turning a road going over a mountain that connects Hartford with some weathy sprawl housing and not much else, into a superhighway!

I'd rather turn the road into a one-lane road that stops at the top so people can get views of Hartford, and make people going across it go down to Waterbury and come back up that way! A little overdramatic I know, but it's worse to keep pumping money into route 44 when I can't drive down Broad Street in Hartford without damaging my undercar.

Some goog points you have there. However, right now rt 44 over the mountian IS a superhighway. Even though the problems on that road can be largely attributed to sprawl, it doesn't mean we should just leave it alone. People are dying all too often. At the top of the mountain there's still paint marking where a 21 year old kid on a motorcyclet died a couple weeks ago. The Farmington Valley isn't goint to stop growing anytime soon and Avon mountain is already handling too many cars as it is. I like everything about the DOT's plan (softening curves, adding left turn lanes, putting in a center median w/ cable-wire guardrails) except that they plan to widen each lane to 11ft. I think that will only encourage people to speed.

Archived