Plans for Sewer on John's Island controversial

vicupstate

Plans for Sewer Line bring strong reaction

With Sewer comes development. This has the potential to make the Urban growth boundary meaningless. Proceed with caution,if at all.

There needs to be a Trident-wide summit on Growth and Growth management. This is a hot issue all over the Metro area. It's time for action rather than just words. It seems a day does not go by in Charleston that this issue is not raised by some new issue or project.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think this is a good idea, I think its a travesty that 5 to 10 minutes from downtown (in good traffic) sits virtually rural land, while development is forced out past Summerville and Goose Creek some 25 miles away. I understand the folks on Johns Island want to maintain its "rural character", but so do the folks out in Ridgeville and Carnes Crossroads. The growth boundary is controlled by politics, not by prudent planning.

And I agree this is a regional concern, with large developments announced in successive days for Dorchester County.

The article said they are going to only allow a fixed number of taps on the line. That will restrict development severely. It will preserve the physical character of the area once the current construction stops. The problem is that the taps wil be come a commodity of sorts. A pseudo black market. You could potentilaly sell yours to someone else and they could do something with higher density. There are impacts no matter what they do here. The question is are the known impacts what the residents of Johns Island want?

Plans for Sewer Line bring strong reaction

With Sewer comes development. This has the potential to make the Urban growth boundary meaningless. Proceed with caution,if at all.

There needs to be a Trident-wide summit on Growth and Growth management. This is a hot issue all over the Metro area. It's time for action rather than just words. It seems a day does not go by in Charleston that this issue is not raised by some new issue or project.

I can't count how many times I've mentioned this. UGBs are absolutely ineffective in the absence of a regional plan.

Archived