Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DCMetroRaleigh

Pine Needles Plans $400 Million Village

11 posts in this topic

Southern Pines officials Monday got their first look at the proposed Pine Needles Village, a huge development that could cost $400 million and include 1,100 homes.

The 575-acre tract sits at the northeast edge of town in a roughly triangular area bounded by U.S. 1, N.C. 22 and Camp Easter Road. If fully completed in five to 10 years, the residential/commercial project

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


This area is growing and attracting alot of attention. Several of our customers in this area have reported double digit year to year sales growth recently and I don't see the momentum slowing anytime soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely a booming area. My company is expanding there in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely a booming area. My company is expanding there in September.

Moore County Vass and Southern Pines are supposed to get a lot of people from the BRAC process. Moore County Schools are concerned about the impact on schools

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moore County Schools are concerned about the impact on schools

The overcrowding of MCS has been an issue since the early 90s. Pine Needles is on the fringe with the Union Pines and Pinecrest school district, which id rather see them go to Pinecrest because UP is VERY VERY overcrowded, at least since 2000, most of the newcomers are from Woodlake, Whispering Pines and Lobelia. There has been talks for a while now of new high school being built between Carthage and Southern Pines.

A problem with this project will be NC 22. It would have a tough time if it were to ever be widened to 4 lanes however if theres a direct connection to US 1 (HOPEFULLY with no traffic SIGNAL, perhaps an interchange), it would be ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Since June of 2005, 99% of US 1 is now 4 lanes through the county but a 5 lane boulevard (continious center turn lane) through the southern end of Southern Pines and all through Aberdeen & Pinebluff. The remaining 1% is approaching the Richmond County line where it is 2 lanes with rare passing lanes between Hoffman and the Dragstrip. After 2010, the DOT plans to widen US 1 towards the SC state line with a bypass of Rockingham going in between Hamlet and Rockingham.

Prior to June of 05, US 1 was two lanes between the Lee County line and Lakeview. The new four lane expressway alignment is all relocated within Moore County but along the existening two lane highway in Lee County.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


^All of it is four lanes which most of the length is limited access, roughly half freeway and half expressway. The only slow part of US 1 between Southern Pines and Raleigh is just south of Sanford through the Tramway area where it has a couple traffic lights and its 45mph but otherwise, your smooth sailing between SP and the NC 55 exit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^All of it is four lanes which most of the length is limited access, roughly half freeway and half expressway. The only slow part of US 1 between Southern Pines and Raleigh is just south of Sanford through the Tramway area where it has a couple traffic lights and its 45mph but otherwise, your smooth sailing between SP and the NC 55 exit.

If they would only sync the lights in Tramway my trip to the Triangle would be nicer. I can understand getting stopped at one light to get in the traffic flow, but I've gotten stuck at all of them many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^Not too long ago, it was only one traffic signal at NC 78! It would be nice if the state added frontage roads between the southern end of the Sanford bypass and roughly 2 miles south of US 15/501 where the new four laning with frontage roads was done back in June of 2005. It does not have to be a freeway right now, but rather the continuation of the US 1 expressway that begins south of US 15/501 towards Aiken Road in Lakeview, Moore County.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.