Grand Rapids Metro Cruise

I just wanted to get the word out about the 2nd Annual Grand Rapids Metro Cruise. The GR Metro Cruise covers 13 miles along 28th street from Wyoming to Cascade. The GR Metro Cruise was mirrored after the Woodward Dream Cruise(Detroit), so if like the Woodward Dream Cruise then you'll like the GR Metro Cruise. Last years Metro Cruise, which was The Inagural Metro Cruise, was a success drawing over 125,000 spectators and this year they are expecting a big jump in attendance. Whats great about the GR Metro Cruise and the Woodward Dream Cruise is that they are not typical car shows. What I mean by that is you get to see the show cars in action cruising up and down the street, where as at a typical car show the cars would be parked in one spot the entire time. Another cool thing about Metro and Dream Cruises are that they last the entire day(9am to 10pm) while a typical car show will only run from 9am til 4pm. So if you like cars then get out to the GR Metro Cruise on saturday August 26th.

Here is the GR Metro Cruise website: http://www.28thstreetmetrocruise.com/

Wether you went to last years Metro Cruise or if you are planning on going(or not going) to this years cruise I would love to hear your thoughts on this event in general.

GRMetroCruise.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wether you went to last years Metro Cruise or if you are planning on going(or not going) to this years cruise I would love to hear your thoughts on this event in general.

GRMetroCruise.jpg

I ended up on the South side of GR that day last year and 28th Street was unbelievably packed with cars. If you like cars, it is definitly worth at least a drive through.

... 2nd Annual Grand Rapids Metro Cruise. ...

http://www.28thstreetmetrocruise.com/

Whether you went to last years Metro Cruise or if you are planning on going(or not going) to this years cruise I would love to hear your thoughts on this event in general.

GRMetroCruise.jpg

Gee, I can't wait.

With gas prices, not to mention Ozone Action days, it sure would make a lot of sense to have the vehicles become static displays. Spectators could ride their bikes up and down the now-vacant 5 traffic lanes, stop and enjoy the cars, then move on to the next viewing.

[OK, it's hot out, and I haven't had my 2nd coffee yet.]

[spelling edit; my brain must really be tired]

Gee, I can't wait.

With gas prices, not to mention Ozone Action days, it sure would make a lot of sense to have the vehicles become static displays. Spectators could ride their bikes up and down the now-vacant 5 traffic lanes, stop and enjoy the cars, then move on to the next viewing.

[OK, it's hot out, and I haven't had my 2nd coffee yet.]

[spelling edit; my brain must really be tired]

There are a number of areas along 28th St. with static displays. This is Michigan, people are going to drive in their cars.

Articles about the event on Woodward:

http://www.ipmba.org/printables/woodward-dream-cruise.PDF (my favorite kind of men in uniform!)

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiast...S294.A9121.html

"Not everyone is wild about cars - or car people. The Cruise kills a late summer weekend for many of the businesses along Woodward Ave., and a few proprietors have tried to get the event eliminated or at least cut back. Fat chance. A heavy presence of police makes sure Dream Cruisers keep things under control. Spin your tires even for a moment and you're likely to get a ticket on Saturday - another reason folks like to come out in the evenings before the official Cruise."

A blogger comments (warning: vulgarities)

http://www.suburbanbliss.net/suburbanbliss...tten_by_my.html

"But then the other night, Sunday night, six whole days before the one day event, we drove down Woodward and already there were people lining the road watching for classic cars. But instead they look like dumb asses watching my stupid minivan travel down the road...."

Good think my commute gets me to my 28th Street office via back roads. Maybe I'll call in well and go cycletouring.

Articles about the event on Woodward:

http://www.ipmba.org/printables/woodward-dream-cruise.PDF (my favorite kind of men in uniform!)

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enthusiast...S294.A9121.html

"Not everyone is wild about cars - or car people. The Cruise kills a late summer weekend for many of the businesses along Woodward Ave., and a few proprietors have tried to get the event eliminated or at least cut back. Fat chance. A heavy presence of police makes sure Dream Cruisers keep things under control. Spin your tires even for a moment and you're likely to get a ticket on Saturday - another reason folks like to come out in the evenings before the official Cruise."

A blogger comments (warning: vulgarities)

http://www.suburbanbliss.net/suburbanbliss...tten_by_my.html

"But then the other night, Sunday night, six whole days before the one day event, we drove down Woodward and already there were people lining the road watching for classic cars. But instead they look like dumb asses watching my stupid minivan travel down the road...."

Good think my commute gets me to my 28th Street office via back roads. Maybe I'll call in well and go cycletouring.

the metro cruise was really nice last year and I would expect a lot more people to know about it this year but it was like a side street compared to woodward which was amazing last year. I would not expect those "problems" here, woodward is the mother-cruise street and brings people from all over the country that stay there for the week or weekend, so of course the're going to cruise the nights before. Also unlike here, the locals actually cruise the street all the time along with gratiot and telegraph. If your a car fan you can see why they call it the motor city

"Spin your tires even for a moment and you're likely to get a ticket on Saturday - another reason folks like to come out in the evenings before the official Cruise."

Yep, the only drawback to the woodward dream cruise is that you can't spin the tires. Other than that it is the best car show/cruise I've ever seen. Last year at the GR Metro Cruise the police allowed people to spin their tires. They are probably more tolerant because its not as big as the Dream Cruise.

Yep, the only drawback to the woodward dream cruise is that you can't spin the tires. Other than that it is the best car show/cruise I've ever seen. Last year at the GR Metro Cruise the police allowed people to spin their tires. They are probably more tolerant because its not as big as the Dream Cruise.

See, Grand Rapids IS more open-minded than the East side. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

There's 3 cars I'd love to see, 1 classic in a way, and 2 newer:

Delorean (I saw one parked somewhere along 28th very briefly when I was 12 or so)

Plymouth Prowler (Haven't seen one since it was on display at Wayland Plymouth)

Vauxhall VX-220 (Designed after the Elise, I forget who made the Elise) looks amazing in Silver or Orange

Incidentally, I just listed my 3 favourite cars =p (With the classic bug in 4th)

There's 3 cars I'd love to see, 1 classic in a way, and 2 newer:

Delorean (I saw one parked somewhere along 28th very briefly when I was 12 or so)

Plymouth Prowler (Haven't seen one since it was on display at Wayland Plymouth)

Vauxhall VX-220 (Designed after the Elise, I forget who made the Elise) looks amazing in Silver or Orange

Incidentally, I just listed my 3 favourite cars =p (With the classic bug in 4th)

I saw a Delorean gassing up tonight at 28th & Wilson - appx 9:25PM. I glared at it for a minute, trying to see the Flux Capacitor and "Mr. Fusion". I love that trilogy. :P

There was one on 275S at around 3pm yesterday. :P

The one you saw on 28th st was probably at Pfeiffer Lincoln. They had one for sale there for a long time, I think it belonged to the dealership's owner.

The one you saw on 28th st was probably at Pfeiffer Lincoln. They had one for sale there for a long time, I think it belonged to the dealership's owner.

That would make sense, Pfeiffer was the local Delorian dealer back in the day.

Archived