The Mint

pack-man

It looks like the City gave its approval for the first restaurant of hopefully many more to come on the new Fayetteville Street. The restaurant will be located on the ground floor of the One Exchange Plaza building and will have outdoor dining along the sidewalk. No details on what kind of restaurant it will be, but I'm excited to hear of new ventures starting to take place.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's some more info

I'm not sure which building this is. Anyone have a picture?

Here's a link to the Google Map search for it.

If you have ever been to "Slims", it is the building across the street (backside) that fronts Fay Street. There is a nice passage way between that building the one beside it going to Fay Street. I have noticed it as it looks empty but I think it is only the first floor as they don't need the bank any more on the first floor. I think this is a 7-10 story white building. If someone is not familiar with "Slims", the building is on Fay Street parallel to the Moore Square Parking Garage.

If you have ever been to "Slims", it is the building across the street (backside) that fronts Fay Street. There is a nice passage way between that building the one beside it going to Fay Street. I have noticed it as it looks empty but I think it is only the first floor as they don't need the bank any more on the first floor. I think this is a 7-10 story white building. If someone is not familiar with "Slims", the building is on Fay Street parallel to the Moore Square Parking Garage.

Slims, I am quite sure, is on Wilmington Street. :whistling:

oh, reread...I follow you now, yeah, you got it right...old Raleigh Federal is 10 stories.

One Exchange building is the new offices for the city of Raleigh inspections department. It is 10 floors, the back side faces Slim's bar. There is a Quizno's on the bottom floor in the plaza area. Its kind of hard to see.

But this sounds like a good plan.

I knew the city was moving staff into this building, but didn't know they outright owned it.

They have had a "looking for restaurant tenant" sign in the doorway that fronts Fayetville Street for about six months or so. In my dream world, I would have opened a restaurant/bar with a bank theme since it still has an intact valut visible as you walk in. It would be nice to see this plaza get energized and accomodate pedestrian traffic mid block between Wilmington and Fayetville/Hargett and Martin, but I feel this might be the start of an "upscale" trend that might trump "cool" but who knows....

I'm not certain I know what "low country Charleston fare" means, but I think I like the sound of it.

The more restaurants downtown, the better. This is great news!

I would look for something very similar to Savannah's at North Hills or Cypress in Charleston, SC. Contemporary feel and kind of 'big city' new-southern. Very nice addition to the downtown dining scene!

There is a new upperscale Mexican restaurant/bar called Jibarra downtown too. Anyone know where its located?

Jibarra is the new restaurant at Sawmill and Six Forks where Gregory's used to be. Can't wait to go. I hope that some nice mexican restaurant does come downtown. <dream>Rosa Mexicano Rosa Mexicao. Please please please Rosa Mexicano!! </dream>

I heard that they are having a very tough time finding a tenant for the Progress II spot. I guess they are charging a very high lease, I hope something upscale will come along. It is a great looking space with a lot of potential considering possible future developement across the street.

I heard that they are having a very tough time finding a tenant for the Progress II spot. I guess they are charging a very high lease, I hope something upscale will come along. It is a great looking space with a lot of potential considering possible future developement across the street.

It will get easier once Fayetteville Street reopens to traffic. It would be hard for any business to survive the critical first couple of months. Throw in the headache of construction and it is that much worse. Once Fayetteville Street starts hopping, tenants will be easy to find. Unfortunately, it may not happen until after RBC and the new CC is complete.

Has anyone heard anyting else about Fin's moving to Two Progress Plaza?

oh man i would love it if there was a Fin's in Raleigh. i went to the one in new orleans 2 years ago and had some of the best food and the atmoshpere is way sweet (they have tire swings at the bar - a bit dangerous, but fun) ! i think it would do very well in downtown Raleigh

Fins is AWESOME. I don't like seafood and thought my meal was fabulous. I don't think they have a website, but CitySearch did their normal crappy job posting this.

The chilean sea bass that my wife got was really really really good. I wish I had gotten a menu.

They are easily N. Raleigh's best restaurant (located at Sawmill and Lead Mine). Entrees are $20-$30, so it's pretty nice.

oh man i would love it if there was a Fin's in Raleigh. i went to the one in new orleans 2 years ago and had some of the best food and the atmoshpere is way sweet (they have tire swings at the bar - a bit dangerous, but fun) ! i think it would do very well in downtown Raleigh

THe Fins's you are talking about is different than the one they are talking about. (At least I think). The FIN's DMMcCALL starting talking about is a small privately own restaurant in North Raleigh known for high end meals at expensive prices. It is good.

Looks like Fin's moving to Two Progress is coming closer to being a reality. There is a good article about some of the new eateries coming online in the coming months (Mostly by Greg Hatem). He's also bought another building to rehab next to the Heilig-Levine building.

* Progress Energy is close to a deal that would bring Fins, an Asian restaurant, to an 8,900-square-foot space in Two Progress Plaza. Fins would join Cafe Zen and Pharaoh's.

Unlucky Site Being Rehabbed

From the article:

* Next door, owners of Moonlight Pizza have a contract to take space in the Palladium Plaza condominium complex. Roland Gammon, president of White Oak Properties, which is developing Palladium, said the group may open a restaurant there in 2007.
Wait a second, I thought Palladium Plaza wasn't going to have any ground-level retail?? All of a sudden I'm a lot more excited about this project.

So, does this mean that Moonlight Pizza will be moving to Palladium from Morgan Street? Or will they be opening a new restaurant there?

From the article:

* Next door, owners of Moonlight Pizza have a contract to take space in the Palladium Plaza condominium complex. Roland Gammon, president of White Oak Properties, which is developing Palladium, said the group may open a restaurant there in 2007.

Wait a second, I thought Palladium Plaza wasn't going to have any ground-level retail?? All of a sudden I'm a lot more excited about this project.

So, does this mean that Moonlight Pizza will be moving to Palladium from Morgan Street? Or will they be opening a new restaurant there?

Archived