The Mint

pack-man

Moonlight used to be located where Mojo's is, at Glenwood and Peace. I like the Boylan Ave. location a lot. I am betting they will open a second location downtown, as they put a lot of money into their current location.

Also, I was under the impression Fins would be opening a second location, not relocating all together... I could be wrong though.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering the same thing orulz. I like their restaurant now with the outdoor patio, but it is somewhat far away from everything and isolated. Wouldn't this be the third location the restaurant has had in downtown?
I'm kind of hoping that they stay on Morgan, and open a new restaurant at Palladium. The current location is just a couple blocks from Glenwood South. Together with new development like Bloomsbury Estates just down the street, Moonlight could help be an anchor for Glenwood South to grow south of Hillsborough Street.

They seem to do pretty good business down there, anyway. I'd say Moonlight is at least in the same neighborhood as places like Jillian's and Flying Saucer, if not everything else in the warehouse district. It's really not that isolated at all.

I lived in Cameron Court (refrain from gay ghetto jokes-- it was a nice place!) for a few years, and came to know Moonlight as sort of a neighborhood establishment. Seemed to get a lot of foot traffic from Boylan Heights, more so than people driving in from outside the area. As the neighborhood has become even more expensive and desireable since I lived over there, I would bet their business is doing just fine and will only get better, with developments like Bloomsbury going up. I hope they stay where they are and open another downtown. Do you think they are too close together for this to make sense?

The only pizza place on the east side of downtown is Vics in City Market, and it is kinda high end. Moonlight is a different market, kind of like a "grown up Lilly's".

With *no* good (if any) pizza delivery options for the eastside of downtown, the Paladium Place site could serve PP, Founders Row, Carlton Place, RBC Condos, the Hudson, the apartments in the martin/blount/davie/wilmington block, etc. *and* do good lunch business from all the downtown workers. All this without impacting the current Boylan/Morgan location.

I *really* hope this is a signal that there will be ground floor activity for Palladium! According to Palladium Plaza's presales website, all the units that front Davie Street have not been sold, and the ones closest to City Market have all been sold, but that might be put there as a place holder while they tried to do this deal. The Cabarrus side is where Men At Work car wash used to be, and is right across from Lincoln Theater. If Moonlight goes in, this could be a "cool" area, with Lump gallery not that far away either, and in the shadow of whatever ends up at site 1.

The news about the Eastside Hatem sites' (Times Bar, Morning Times, soul food and the other (medeteranian?) ) progress is also exciting. Yea!

I lived in Cameron Court (refrain from gay ghetto jokes-- it was a nice place!) for a few years, and came to know Moonlight as sort of a neighborhood establishment. Seemed to get a lot of foot traffic from Boylan Heights, more so than people driving in from outside the area. As the neighborhood has become even more expensive and desireable since I lived over there, I would bet their business is doing just fine and will only get better, with developments like Bloomsbury going up. I hope they stay where they are and open another downtown. Do you think they are too close together for this to make sense?

you are damn right about it being a gay ghetto. i wish i lived there! but i'm just down the street.

all that aside, it seems like every time i want to go to moonlight pizza, they are closed. usually its after 9 or so, but i do wish they would stay open late!

Also, I was under the impression Fins would be opening a second location, not relocating all together... I could be wrong though.

Good question - I seem to recall in the original TBJ (I think it was) article that first mentioned a Fin's location downtown, the author made it a point to say they didn't know whether they were opening a new one, or moving the exisiting one. I've never been to Fin's before (actually never heard of it, as I don't venture that far out in North Raleigh very often), but it sounds like a nice place with excellent reviews. I'll have to check it out after it moves downtown.

Moonlight used to be located where Mojo's is, at Glenwood and Peace. I like the Boylan Ave. location a lot. I am betting they will open a second location downtown, as they put a lot of money into their current location.

Due to some inside connections, I will find out. :alc:

Fins is in a typical north raleigh strip mall almost out by 540... i have consistently heard it is one of the best restaurants in the triangle... but i can't get past the strip mall part. ; )

It is in the Greystone Village Shopping Center which is on Lead Mine Road about a mile north of Millbrook Road. It is a great place and one of those really good restaurants you find tuck away in strip malls across N Raleigh.

JB

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Fin's is official! The press release came out today, and they seem to be keeping both locations open, from what I can tell.

Also mentions cafe Zen - I'm quite excited about this too. I didn't realize it would have all those different kinds of foods. Great news for downtown!!

Fins to Open Upscale Bistro Restaurant in Downtown Raleigh

"We are pleased that Fins has decided to come downtown," said Rodney

Gaddy, vice president, Corporate Services. "This is yet another example of how

well downtown revitalization is proceeding. A restaurant of Fins' caliber will

add to the growing list of amenities strengthening downtown Raleigh's

reputation as a civic, cultural and commercial center."

Great news! Fins is one of those places that deserves the exposure it will get downtown, as some just ignore it due to it's current location. This is one of the best meals I've ever enjoyed out. Having a loyal clientele should help it transition nicely in to it's new location as well. I'm also excited about the other restaurant announcements that have been made recently around there. I'm really buying in that this area's going to take off. :D

Here is the N&O story on Fins going into Progress 2: Retailing column on DT restaurants It will not be open untill late this year/early next year, way after Fayetville Street opens to traffic, but more than a year before the convention center and paladium plaza come online.

The article also mentions Yanc(e)y's, which is now going into the Fayetville Street side of the Hudson. One part will be a restaurant, while the other part is a banquet/party place, on either side of the WTVD studio. There was some "high end" New Orleans place that had that space, but it looks like this is combining with that, and the "Yancey's at the Warehouse" sign has been down for a few weeks as well. August/September seems like an agressive schedule -- Gandalfo's seems to be taking its time on the Wilmington street side of the building. Between Fins, Zen, this, and two other restaurants in the 200 block, Fayetville street is starting to pick up!

Times Bar on Hargett also has a "help wanted" poster up for restaurant and bar positions, so they appear to be opening in the next few months as well! If the "new" Sosta has later hours than La Joy did, maybe something can get going over there...

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, Morning Times will be in the old Dakota Grill space, and function as a breakfast place. I heard somewhere it will have bagels flowin in from up north, but am not 100% sure. Morning Times' kitchen will also be used for Times Bar at night, so it will be more than just a bar.

• 4 months later...

I was walking down Fayetteville Street last night. I noticed a new restaurant called The Mint. I can't remember at what intersection but it was in a tall white building on the right side coming up to the capital building. Building had some kind symetrical shape. I think it's close to The Hall Mark shop.

This is in One Exchange Plaza, where a lot of city offices have moved to. It is in what was the First Union building before they moved to what is now the Wachovia building. It is about halfway down the 200 block on the east side, just north of the old Wachoiva building with the escalators you can see from Fayetville Street.

The Mint is the "white linen tablecloth" restaurant the city is helping with loans, etc. to help establish Fayetville Street. In Alexander Square, an ice cream shop will open soon.

There has been a Quiznos in this building, halfway between Fayetville and Wilmington Streets for about 6-7 years.

I thought the white tablecloth restaurant was going to go into the space on the left of the Urban Design Center. Am I wrong?

onexchg.jpg

One Exchange Plaza is that hideous mistake of a building that sits next to the hideous mistake of a building Wachovia moved out of before the merger. That Wachovia building had bathrooms only in the elevator lobbies on each floor. The problems with vagrants going up there and messing them up was so bad that they had to lock the bathroom doors and use office keys; like an old gas station with outdoor bathrooms.

I thought the white tablecloth restaurant was going to go into the space on the left of the Urban Design Center. Am I wrong?

onexchg.jpg

One Exchange Plaza is that hideous mistake of a building that sits next to the hideous mistake of a building Wachovia moved out of before the merger. That Wachovia building had bathrooms only in the elevator lobbies on each floor. The problems with vagrants going up there and messing them up was so bad that they had to lock the bathroom doors and use office keys; like an old gas station with outdoor bathrooms.

That alley way between these two buildings had eating tables set up between them. What a perfect place to set up outdoor dining. A couple of restaurants could share this place. But with banks and such in the lobby's, not sure there is space to put restaurants.

EDIT (next day after post) : Actually, I went by today and an thinking of the alley the next building over but both would make good eating alley's.

Archived