Triad's Biotech Sector growing

suburban george3

According to this article in today's Journal, the biotech sector here in the Triad is being relatively successful. We now have 4,278 people employed in the biotech sector and growing at a slow and steady pace. There are now 101 biotech companies located in the Triad area which have received 36 patents in the past year; more than the biotech sectors of Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Atlanta, or Baltimore. We also received more grants than biotech sectors did in Charlotte or Richmond. Can we cultivate this into a major employment sector/industry here? I know "biotech" is the hot thing at the moment in almost every city, but so far even though we're doing it slow I think we're doing it right. Thoughts?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news for the Triad. I'm not surprised that the Triad has more jobs in this industry than Charlotte (since there isn't a medical school or large healthcare industry there) or even Atlanta and Richmond, but it's surprising that it has more patents than Baltimore. I would imagine that Johns Hopkins University would edge out a school like Wake Forest in generating patents.

I think the Triad will always remain a lower to mid level biotech area especially now that NIH funding is being slashed. The Triangle will continue to engulf this industry for a long time to come as evidenced by the latest addition of huge biotech companies to the area including Novartis, Merck, United Therapeutics, Steifel Institute, etc. The Triad sits pretty well as a regional entity in this field and has positioned itself well against Charlotte and points south. I was just in Toronto and saw their innovation district across from U of Toronto-very impressive-this is the kind of competition the Triad will be facing.

Link

Its pretty funny that they mention Silicon Valley and Raleigh as their competition in the vitual tour area.

Archived