All that we are is a point in the Sky

monsoon

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

That was worth the bump.. I hadn't even seen it myself. It really puts things into perspective. What's even more telling is our location within this galaxy... we're in the 'burbs of the Milky Way -- stellar sprawl. . :)

I am looking forward to seeing what a "Mars-rise" looks like from its two moons, Phobos or Demos.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for bumping this up - I'm a new member and I haven't seen anything like this before. It's great! So did anyone notice how bright Mars was in our skies this past week? My kid refused to believe it was anything we normally have in the night sky, so I told him it must be a UFO then. He settled for my first explanation after that. :rolleyes:

Nope, I didn't notice that.

Well, if we get any clear nights soon, it might be worth a peek. I think it was brightest last weekend, but it should be pretty good still. It's big and orange-ish, and it definitely does not twinkle. We were looking at it in the east sky maybe halfway up about an hour after dark.

Well, if we get any clear nights soon, it might be worth a peek. I think it was brightest last weekend, but it should be pretty good still. It's big and orange-ish, and it definitely does not twinkle. We were looking at it in the east sky maybe halfway up about an hour after dark.

Indeed, Mars will not be this close again until 2018. This evening in the eastern United States you should be able to see Venus shortly after sundown. It will be a bright spot near the crescent moon.

Archived