politics and religion should be separated

cityboi

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well actually the ACLU has taken some amazingly far fetched stances in the past, when they put freedom of speech before being decent. But all-in-all I feel the ACLU is a hugely valuable resource, of which I have nothing but respect.

But getting back to church/state separation----here's my take on it:

To me, I couldn't possibly be less disinterested in any of man's religions. To me they're all the same. From Zeus, to Athena, to Thor, to Jesus, to Mohammed, to Allah, and Buddha....they were all were created and manipulated by man (mostly for selfish purposes of power).

I also don't believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, or George W. Bush.

BUT I have no problem whatsoever with anyone's religious beliefs. I totally support 100% anyone's right to believe any damn thing they wanna believe:) And even though I'm a contented atheist, I would even be willing to fight to my death to protect the right of freedom of religion.

Another BUT: here is my problem-----when religions attempt to hijack society and institute their religious beliefs into the code of law.

As long as religion doesn't seek to change me, and society (through laws) then I don't care what they believe.

Well actually the ACLU has taken some amazingly far fetched stances in the past, when they put freedom of speech before being decent. But all-in-all I feel the ACLU is a hugely valuable resource, of which I have nothing but respect.

But getting back to church/state separation----here's my take on it:

To me, I couldn't possibly be less disinterested in any of man's religions. To me they're all the same. From Zeus, to Athena, to Thor, to Jesus, to Mohammed, to Allah, and Buddha....they were all were created and manipulated by man (mostly for selfish purposes of power).

I also don't believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, or George W. Bush.

BUT I have no problem whatsoever with anyone's religious beliefs. I totally support 100% anyone's right to believe any damn thing they wanna believe:) And even though I'm a contented atheist, I would even be willing to fight to my death to protect the right of freedom of religion.

Another BUT: here is my problem-----when religions attempt to hijack society and institute their religious beliefs into the code of law.

As long as religion doesn't seek to change me, and society (through laws) then I don't care what they believe.

i have the same outlook on religion to a degree. they're all the same when brought down to the very basic morals that they set forth. the other rules that are outside of the standard morals assumed by all religions should not be put into law (like those in muslim countries where women are discriminated against, and those countries where you get the death penalty because of drugs). but the standard morals are pretty much the same between every religion, be it christianity, islam, hinduism, buddhism, shintoism, paganism, judaism, atheism, etc. those morals are generally agreed upon by the vast majority of people living on earth.

i don't see religion as anything other than a way of setting morals and a way of explaining those things that science has yet to explain.

Archived