Murfreesboro Sub-Forum

dfwtiger

Should there be a Murfreesboro Sub-Forum to the Nashville Forum?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Yes or No to indicate your position on a new sub-forum

• Yes
    • No

Would it be possible for Murfreesboro to move out from under Nashville (currently we are a subforum) and have its own Form. I hate having to scroll through all of the Nashville new to find items concerning the BORO.

Thoughts? Comments? Opinions? What do we think?

Edited by dfwtiger

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm interested in what goes on in Murfreesboro. It has changed from its previous incarnation as a nice college town to a city of almost 100,000 building $65 million dollar hotels and enormous retail and residential developments.

There seem to be enough M-boro folks to warrant such, imo.

Edited by it's just dave

You've got my vote^. I do not like having to scroll to find topics about Murfreesboro either. Murfreesboro is a major city in Tennessee and deserves its own forum. It is pretty obvious that it's time for one seeing all the Murfreesboro threads or even seeing it mentioned in threads where they have nothing to do with Murfreesboro.

Edited by Justiceham

I think that Murfreesboro should just be in the Nashville forum. The Forum heading lists the different cities this forum includes, and if you don't want to read about it, just keep scrolling past Murfreesboro stories. Murfeesboro is big, but really, it's still part of Nashville, thus should be in its forum.

I think that Murfreesboro should just be in the Nashville forum. The Forum heading lists the different cities this forum includes, and if you don't want to read about it, just keep scrolling past Murfreesboro stories. Murfeesboro is big, but really, it's still part of Nashville, thus should be in its forum.

I think that's just it, people who only want to read Murfreesboro topics would have that option, and I'm pretty sure it would save those only interested in downtown Nashville some time from scrolling through "suburban topics" and posting "so what/it's only sprawl" threads.

^ Murfreesboro is not part of Nashville. I understand the reasoning behind why Murfreesboro is included in the Nashville forum, however.

Yes it is. It relys on Nashville for way too much overall. Matter of fact, it wouldn't be what it is today had it not been for the explosion of Nashville.

I know this is gonna p some ppl off... but... IMO... Murf can have its own forum on UrbanPlanet when it gets more urban development :P

I'm gonna go out on a stretch a bit and agree with this. What is going on here now is in no way "Urban" by definition and that, IMO, goes against the name and principal behind this entire forum. But that is a totally different issue so lets leave it at that. LOL!!! If they want their own forum, then let them have it. Just don't set it as a subforum of this one and give them their own. I would include "suburban" in the title of it though.

Edited by Lexy

^ Murfreesboro is not part of Nashville. I understand the reasoning behind why Murfreesboro is included in the Nashville forum, however.

Murfreesboro is most certainly part of Nashville and is classified as such that being the Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro Metropolitan Statistical Area. However, I do believe the point of the matter is that Murfreesboro does not depend heavily on Nashville the way it used to. One does not have to travel over thirty miles anymore to do simple shopping, to work, or to enjoy the night life, it's all here. Murfreesboro is an urban area in Tennessee whether anyone is willing to admit it or not. It was once the capital of Tennesee from 1819-1826 before Nashville was even considered. The city has an urban growth boundary, a thriving public square (one of which Nashville, itself, has even had to jump in and build one of its own), a diverse university community, state of the art medical and recreational facilities, the list goes on. Yes, there are no high rises (yet), high crime rates, abundance of buildings built up to the street, stacks of parking garages, or cranes dotting dowtown, but there is a sense of place, history, community, and independence no one can take away.

Edited by Justiceham

Murfreesboro is most certainly part of Nashville and is classified as such that being the Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro Metropolitan Statistical Area. However, I do believe the point of the matter is that Murfreesboro does not depend heavily on Nashville the way it used to. One does not have to travel over thirty miles anymore to do simple shopping, to work, or to enjoy the night life, it's all here. Murfreesboro is an urban area in Tennessee whether anyone is willing to admit it or not. It was once the capital of Tennesee from 1819-1826 before Nashville was even considered. The city has an urban growth boundary, a thriving public square (one of which Nashville, itself, has even had to jump in and build one of its own), a diverse university community, state of the art medical and recreational facilities, the list goes on. Yes, there are no high rises (yet), high crime rates, abundance of buildings built up to the street, stacks of parking garages, or cranes dotting dowtown, but there is a sense of place, history, community, and independence no one can take away.

Well Shelbyville has an Urban Growth Boundry, but that doesn't mean its urban. There are places in Murfreesboro that are urban, but for the most part, it's a very suburban town by definition. The population density is still really, really low for a town its size.

We all seem to have different definitions of some key things here, and that's ok - it demonstrates how we each approach these concepts. I would never argue against the importance that Nashville has played in the history and growth of Murfreesboro. I like Nashville, and am typically there several days a week. It is also inarguable that Murfreesboro is part of a statistical area dominated by Nashville, though as Justiceham pointed out, the correct name for the MSA is the Nashville-Davidson-Murfreesboro Metropolitan Statistical Area.

I don't think of myself as a Nashvillian, however, and I personally choose not to call Murfreesboro "Nashville" because I think that doing so fails to recognize Murfreesboro for the wonderful city that it is. (Just as calling Nashville "Murfreesboro" would do the same to the wonderful city Nashville is.) I happen to work in Nashville, but save for that I would have little reason for visiting Nashville on anything close to a regular basis because in terms of things to do, shopping, and places to eat, Murfreesboro has me covered. And again, I like Nashville, so what I just said should in no way be taken to mean anything negative towards our great neighbor up the Interstate. It's just that with the amenities that Murfreesboro has, and the geographic distance that exists between us, Murfreesboro is (or perhaps has become) relatively self-reliant in many ways.

Another definition that I've debated over on this forum before is concerning the word "urban." The first definition given in the Oxford American Dictionary for "urban" states: "in, relating to, or characteristic of a city or town." By that definition, discussion of Murfreesboro development is certainly applicable to a forum dedicated to all things urban.

Should Murfreesboro have it's own forum? I think we have (or are getting close to having) sufficient discussion on the subject to warrant such a forum. Whether or not we get one will, I assume, be left up to the forum administrators, but I thank dfwtiger for raising the possibility for their consideration and our discussion.

Edited by Relient J

I believe when we speak of "urban" here though, we are really referring to New Urbanism... see here.

I think on Urban Planet as a whole there are some interesting distinctivenesses between the different forums. I try to keep up with the Tallahassee forum as well to see what's happening in my old home, and the topics there aren't as New Urbanism-oriented as they are here. While they definitely get excited about new high rise developments in downtown and infill, just about any type of development is discussed. I greatly enjoy posting both places, but I believe it illustrates that not everyone at Urban Planet discusses a single type of urban development. My interest in posting in the Nashville forum is largely to discuss my city and the changes and development it sees, while also trying to keep up with development throughout Middle Tennessee.

Edited by Relient J

As Justiceham asked, do we want to do a poll on this?

We could do a poll, and if there was support I can ask monsoon if it can be done. I don't see why it couldn't be since there appears to be enough forumers and interest.

Yes, please do. It would eliminate any more bickering/bashing from those who really are not interested in Murfreesboro.