Murfreesboro Sub-Forum

dfwtiger

Should there be a Murfreesboro Sub-Forum to the Nashville Forum?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Yes or No to indicate your position on a new sub-forum

• Yes
    • No

Nashville / Middle Tennessee (if possible) or Nashville Metro are both good ideas in my opinion. On a side note, I (personally) would like to keep the metro/micropolitan listing below whatever name is chosen so as to not indicate the exclusion of significant news or forumers from such smaller cities/towns.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a Nashville/Middle TN or Nashville and vicinity is fine. I really don't think Murf has enough going on to warrant their own forum and I'd like to be able to go to one forum to see the topics for all of the Nashville area. I don't think any other cities/metro areas are contemplating moving a suburb into its own forum.

Just this weekend, I met two people and asked where they were from and they responded 'Nashville', but further discussion revealed they were from Murf. Hint, hint....

Murfreesboro is not a suburb. If you believe it is a suburb, I would like to see your reasoning.

Sociology of place. Typically most people reference from the largest to the smallest. I live in Texas. If someone ask where I'm from....I tell them Tennessee.....then Murfreesboro. This is common....your statement provides no insight as to the perceived dominance of Nashville over the region. Afterall, Nashville/Davidson County represents less than half of the statistical area population.

It would be interesting to see the commuting patterns for Rutherford County and Murfreesboro. The last I remember was 35,000 go out of the county to work while 22,000 come into the county to work.

Here is a quick history of the city.....

In 1811, the Tennessee State Legislature appointed a committee to select a new site for the Rutherford County seat. The site eventually chosen was 60 acres of land belonging to Captain William Lytle. The General Assembly named the new town "Cannonsburgh," honoring Newton Cannon, a young politician in Williamson County, but upon Captain Lytle's request, changed the name to "Murfreesborough" one month later. The naming was in memory of Lytle's friend, Colonel Hardy Murfree. In 1817, "Murfreesboro" was recognized as an official city by the State Legislature and, in 1818, was named the capital of Tennessee because of its central location. However, Nashville regained title as the State capital in 1826.

In the early years of Murfreesboro, it was mainly an agricultural community, with corn, cotton, and tobacco being the main crops. By 1853, the Murfreesboro area was home to three colleges and several academies, prompting it to be called the "Athens of Tennessee" by a visiting religious reporter. Although education suffered from the military occupation and the trauma of the Civil War, by the early 1900's it began to regain momentum. In 1911, Middle Tennessee State Normal School, for the training of teachers, was opened in Murfreesboro, joining Tennessee College for Women, which had opened in 1907. Today, Middle Tennessee State University is the home of 23,000 students and has the highest undergraduate enrollment in the state.

After WWII, Murfreesboro and Rutherford County began to change from an agricultural based economy to industrial and manufacturing. Industrial growth has been steady since that time, contributing to a stable economy and phenomenal growth. In the past decade, Murfreesboro has enjoyed substantial residential and commercial growth. The City's population has increased 53.2 percent from 44,922 in 1990 to 68,816 in 2000. Murfreesboro now has, by special census, a population of 81,393.

Named the Most Livable Town in Tennessee, Murfreesboro is the fastest growing city in the state - and it's not hard to see why. Murfreesboro provides the quality of life that attracts growth-plentiful housing, excellent schools, employment opportunities, outstanding services, recreational programs and regional medical facilities

Edited by dfwtiger

According to some it is a matter of opinion if Murfreesboro is a suburb or not.

Here are a few things to read. One considers Murfreesboro as a suburb or also an exurb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murfreesboro%2C_Tennessee

http://www.nashvilles-real-estate.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murfreesboro,_Tennessee

I am sure we can find article and opinion to say both, however the consciences to most business and govt.'s in the area is that the Boro is a burb. I can see where you are at though because it is 30 miles away.

In the Atlanta area 30 miles is considered a suburb. As all the cities grow, the line between them will eventually be blurred.

According to some it is a matter of opinion if Murfreesboro is a suburb or not.

Here are a few things to read. One considers Murfreesboro as a suburb or also an exurb.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murfreesboro%2C_Tennessee

http://www.nashvilles-real-estate.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murfreesboro,_Tennessee

I am sure we can find article and opinion to say both, however the consciences to most business and govt.'s in the area is that the Boro is a burb. I can see where you are at though because it is 30 miles away.

In the Atlanta area 30 miles is considered a suburb. As all the cities grow, the line between them will eventually be blurred.

I do not rely on Wikipedia. It includes information entered by anyone who wishes to contribute.

Websters

Main Entry: sub

Edited by dfwtiger

Glad to know we are a colony. Maybe it time for a revolution. :lol:

As always it is a matter of opinion. I am not in favor for or against, just showing what the majority may think.

No kidding...however, it is interesting to think of cities in the larger context....who hold the capital and gathers the wealth...and who is being farmed for capital and labor.

Good healthy conversation...tis what I miss at the job.

Commuting patterns that the census studied would suggest, and make a good case for it, that Murfreesboro is in fact a suburb. Trust me, I travel to Nashville every morning and the interstate is packed form Highway 96 all the way into downtown Nashville. I know that those people are coming from somewhere cause they all have "Rutherford County" tags. Think what you want to guys, but Murf-vegas relies on Nashville far more than some on here want to believe. Don't believe me, look up the commuting patterns on the US Census website and then make a case for Murfreesboro being a singular city by itself. I doubt it can be done totally.

Edited by Lexy

^ Agreed. The only reason 22,000 people travel TO Rutherford County for work is because of LaVergne. There's just not that many jobs within Murfreesboro.

When the morning rush hour packs traffic jams on I-24 going TOWARDS Murfreesboro, call me and I'll change my classification from suburb to city.

Man you guys act like your sending Murfreesboro off to college or something. She'll still be around. Murfreesboro is now 18 years old and she's ready to go off on her own. It's time she explores her options. I mean, big sister, Nashville will always be there to pick her up when she falls, but even she is only 21, herself, compared to her much more mature cousin Atlanta who's pushin 25. Everyone grows up eventually.

I live in Murfreesboro, work in Franklin, and have much of my social life in Nashville. People's idea of what "here" is tends to reflect what is involved in their daily life. The people in Brentwood/Franklin and even Spring Hill think anything outside of the stretch of I65 between them and downtown Nashville qualifies as out of town. Hendersonville, Mt Juliet, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro qualify as some other foreign land to them. Truth is...the entire area is very much intertwined economically and socially...it just depends on how you fit in to that scheme. If you work and live only in Murfreesboro I can see how you would think of it as a totally seperate place. Same if you have no reason to ever come to Murfreesboro. Lots of us depend on the other areas aorund here for work and socialization. That's what makes a metropolitan area what it is. Murfreesboro wouldn't exist as is 100 miles from Nashville. Nor would Nashville be as major an area without Rutherford County. Exurb, Suburb, town outside of Nashvile, whatever you want to call it. It's all intermingled. No subforum is my vote.

I live in Murfreesboro, work in Franklin, and have much of my social life in Nashville. People's idea of what "here" is tends to reflect what is involved in their daily life. The people in Brentwood/Franklin and even Spring Hill think anything outside of the stretch of I65 between them and downtown Nashville qualifies as out of town. Hendersonville, Mt Juliet, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro qualify as some other foreign land to them. Truth is...the entire area is very much intertwined economically and socially...it just depends on how you fit in to that scheme. If you work and live only in Murfreesboro I can see how you would think of it as a totally seperate place. Same if you have no reason to ever come to Murfreesboro. Lots of us depend on the other areas aorund here for work and socialization. That's what makes a metropolitan area what it is. Murfreesboro wouldn't exist as is 100 miles from Nashville. Nor would Nashville be as major an area without Rutherford County. Exurb, Suburb, town outside of Nashvile, whatever you want to call it. It's all intermingled. No subforum is my vote.

Someone brought up in another thread that it was unfair for Murfreesboro to have its own forum without having a Hendersonville, Clarksville, Franklin one etc. Well my question is , WHERE ARE THEY AT? Why hasn't anyone from those places showed up and requested their own forum? No one is stopping them.

Edited by Justiceham

I live in Murfreesboro, work in Franklin, and have much of my social life in Nashville. People's idea of what "here" is tends to reflect what is involved in their daily life. The people in Brentwood/Franklin and even Spring Hill think anything outside of the stretch of I65 between them and downtown Nashville qualifies as out of town. Hendersonville, Mt Juliet, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro qualify as some other foreign land to them. Truth is...the entire area is very much intertwined economically and socially...it just depends on how you fit in to that scheme. If you work and live only in Murfreesboro I can see how you would think of it as a totally seperate place. Same if you have no reason to ever come to Murfreesboro. Lots of us depend on the other areas aorund here for work and socialization. That's what makes a metropolitan area what it is. Murfreesboro wouldn't exist as it is 100 miles from Nashville. Nor would Nashville be as major an area without Rutherford County. Exurb, Suburb, town outside of Nashville, whatever you want to call it. It's all intermingled. No subforum is my vote. My God, I need more socialization.

Edited by MurfRez

^ Agreed. The only reason 22,000 people travel TO Rutherford County for work is because of LaVergne. There's just not that many jobs within Murfreesboro.

When the morning rush hour packs traffic jams on I-24 going TOWARDS Murfreesboro, call me and I'll change my classification from suburb to city.

I agree its a suburb, but....I know people who commute to all of the following places in Rutherford county from Nashville/Davidson county, Wilson county, Williamson county, and even Sumner County: MTSU, Verizon, State Farm, The VA, Middle Tennesse Medical Center, Nissan, various retail businesses, even a social worker in some housing projects. Not a one of those is in Lavergne.

I live in Murfreesboro, work in Franklin, and have much of my social life in Nashville. People's idea of what "here" is tends to reflect what is involved in their daily life. The people in Brentwood/Franklin and even Spring Hill think anything outside of the stretch of I65 between them and downtown Nashville qualifies as out of town. Hendersonville, Mt Juliet, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro qualify as some other foreign land to them. Truth is...the entire area is very much intertwined economically and socially...it just depends on how you fit in to that scheme. If you work and live only in Murfreesboro I can see how you would think of it as a totally seperate place. Same if you have no reason to ever come to Murfreesboro. Lots of us depend on the other areas aorund here for work and socialization. That's what makes a metropolitan area what it is. Murfreesboro wouldn't exist as it is 100 miles from Nashville. Nor would Nashville be as major an area without Rutherford County. Exurb, Suburb, town outside of Nashville, whatever you want to call it. It's all intermingled. No subforum is my vote. My God, I need more socialization.

Here here! i agree!

I vote down on the Boro subforum as well.

Man you guys act like your sending Murfreesboro off to college or something. She'll still be around. Murfreesboro is now 18 years old and she's ready to go off on her own. It's time she explores her options. I mean, big sister, Nashville will always be there to pick her up when she falls, but even she is only 21, herself, compared to her much more mature cousin Atlanta who's pushin 25. Everyone grows up eventually.

Justiceham....RIGHT ON!

For discussion sake.....for those of you who are not in favor of a sub-forum for Murfreesboro....why do you even care? The discussion of suburb....city....and colony have been great. In the end, however, why is this an issue? Why can't a group of people who are interested in a city that is the 5th or 6th largest have their own subforum?

Justiceham...I agree with you....I kind of feel like I have taken a step back in time....Dad...can I drive the car? No...you don't have enough experience.... As adults...can we afford one another a little freedom? Can the wizzard who controls who can and can not have a subforum give us a chance to explore the possibilities?

I think a good compromise would be the following...

Give Murfreesboro a six month trial. If it does better that the last place sub-forum...it stays...if not...it goes back under Nashville. In the end, forums should be created and kept based on user traffic....not over an argument as to whether Murfreesboro is a city or a suburb!

Someone brought up in another thread that it was unfair for Murfreesboro to have its own forum without having a Hendersonville, Clarksville, Franklin one etc. Well my question is , WHERE ARE THEY AT? Why hasn't anyone from those places showed up and requested their own forum? No one is stopping them.

I agree. We need to go ahead and resolve the Murfreesboro issue.

If it's in its own forum, I'll never look at it.

Agreed. Until it can show us true Urban INFILL, I have no use for reading about suburban office parks and shopping malls.

Not to mention that it needs more users for it to be succesfull and worth UP spending the money on more bandwith to support it (if they hve to do that, Metro M. you can help on that).

Murfreesboro is a part of Metro Nashville either way you cut it and on this board, it should stay that way as well. I think the current format is fine, but if a name change is in order...that is fine as well.

Edited by Lexy

Not to mention that it needs more users for it to be succesfull and worth UP spending the money on more bandwith to support it (if they hve to do that, Metro M. you can help on that).

Bandwidth and money are not a consideration in this issue. We would love to see enough growth in the Nashville area to warrant more forums.

Bandwidth and money are not a consideration in this issue. We would love to see enough growth in the Nashville area to warrant more forums.

Well that certainly is good to know. I didn't know for sure so I am glad you cleared that up. Thanks.