Murfreesboro Sub-Forum

dfwtiger

Should there be a Murfreesboro Sub-Forum to the Nashville Forum?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Vote Yes or No to indicate your position on a new sub-forum

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please vote in the poll and then create a post stating the your support or opposition to the proposal so I can guage local forumer support against those voting in the poll (which is open to everyone on the site). Also, please keep your posts in support or opposition short and civil as to why there should or should not be a sub-forum, we really don't need to debate this as much as see where everyone stands on the issue.

I will leave the poll open for one week. If the poll comes out in favor of a new sub-forum I will ask Metro.m to create one for us.

Thanks.

I voted yes because a sub-forum would just be an easy way to keep the M-boro topics together in one place, but it would also allow for easy navigation between the main Nashville forum and the M-boro topics for those who are interested in both.

I voted no because Murfreesboro is much like any other suburb of Nashville, with many of the same issues/problems. Their decisions would have many impacts on me if I were still a Franklinite.

i voted yes. murfreesboro is a city that is really starting to come into it's own.

I voted yes. I think its a wonderful idea to give Murfreesboro its own forum. It's perfectly logical because this way members may post fair opinions about topics discussed under the city they want to (Murfreesboro!) as opposed to just posting something negative "just because" they happen to see it under the Nashville forum.

I said no simply b/c other communities would deserve forums as well (i.e. Clarksville, Franklin, Hendersonville).

Well...Do They deserve forums? The question here is whether Murfreesboro deserves one, not whether other cities do also. You should figure out a way to "undo" your vote since it's invalid.

The poll should really have more than one question.... like should there be a 'Metro Nashville' or should there be a 'Middle TN' subforum. I mean... if we give Murf a subforum... we are kindof leaving out all the other semi-major cities in the area... as others have said. So nothing against Murf... but I can't vote yes on just Murf getting its own forum... maybe if they had some major urban development initiative goin' on....

I am talking to Rural King offline about this but I did a search and I can only find 16 posts with Murfressboro in the title and maybe 200 total posts. This really is not anywhere close to enough activity to warrant an entire subforum. We have some individual topics on this forum that have far more activity than this. I am also not sure that I want do subforum an individual metro area. Nashville already has a main development forum and an coffee house. So far, there are only 11 people on this forum that thinks this is a good idea which isn't exactly a groundswell of support for the idea.

However.....

What I would like to know is why does this part of the Nashville metro need it's own subforum? I admit that I am ignorant about this part of TN so I am asking this for some more enlightenment. My inclination at the moment is to not go this route based on the activity and looking a map this city would seem to be very close to Nashville. However I am willing to listen to reasonable arguments as to why we might want to do it.

monsoon, I appreciate very much your consideration of this matter. I guess my main interest in having a Murfreesboro subforum is to get Murfreesboro out of the Nashville forum. I preferred it existing under the Middle Tennessee forum, though I understand the reasoning behind why the name was changed. I'm definitely in the minority in that regard, however. Part of that is because I think Murfreesboro is distinct from Nashville in many ways, and partly because I think we're going to see a lot more discussion on the topic of Murfreesboro in the future.

As to those who question why we need a Murfreesboro subforum and not a Franklin or Hendersonville subforum, etc., I would say it has less to do with Murfreesboro being more important than those other cities and more to do with the fact that Murfreesboro posters have simply put forth the idea of having a subforum for our city. It would seem to me that other posters who want to see a subforum for their city could propose one.

Edited by Relient J

Hey Metro!

Here are some of the communities that surround Nashville.

This is not all of them, but the major communities in each county.

Rutherford County:

Murfreesboro, Lavergne, Smyrna

Williamson County:

Franklin, Brentwood, Spring Hill

Sumner County:

Hendersonville, Gallatin

Cheatham

Ashland City, Pleasant View, Kingston Springs

Wilson County:

Mt Juliet, Lebanon

Dickson County

Dickson

Montgomery County

Clarksville

Robertson County

Springfield, Coopertown

Feel free to add anything left off, but I think I got most of them.

Edited by smeagolsfree

I am talking to Rural King offline about this but I did a search and I can only find 16 posts with Murfressboro in the title and maybe 200 total posts. This really is not anywhere close to enough activity to warrant an entire subforum. We have some individual topics on this forum that have far more activity than this. I am also not sure that I want do subforum an individual metro area. Nashville already has a main development forum and an coffee house. So far, there are only 11 people on this forum that thinks this is a good idea which isn't exactly a groundswell of support for the idea.

However.....

What I would like to know is why does this part of the Nashville metro need it's own subforum? I admit that I am ignorant about this part of TN so I am asking this for some more enlightenment. My inclination at the moment is to not go this route based on the activity and looking a map this city would seem to be very close to Nashville. However I am willing to listen to reasonable arguments as to why we might want to do it.

Personally, I would like to see the sub forum because I hate to wade through all of the topics speculating on future growth in Nashville. As a former resident of Murfreesboro, our interest in Nashville was minimal. The boro is far enough removed from Nashville that it has its own identity. It serves as a rural service center for middle and southern middle Tennessee....thus...out of the orbit of Nashville. Many of the other surrounding metro communities are pulled into Nashville due to their size. This is not the case in the boro.

Is it that big of a deal to give a city of 90,000 people and what will soon be the largest university in Tennessee a space of its own to breathe? Have we ever considered the fact that more may post if we had our own space?

I'm just asking for everyone to cut us some slack and let us get out from under Nashville.

Well...Do They deserve forums? The question here is whether Murfreesboro deserves one, not whether other cities do also. You should figure out a way to "undo" your vote since it's invalid.

It's like the old saying..."did you bring enough for everybody?" I am just saying that, if you give Murfreesboro a forum for their projects, other growing communities deserve forums as well. And I believe that would lead to a messy large forum. So, I am actually voting no on the Murfreesboro forum....and my vote is not invalid.

This is another thought.

What about a Nashville Metro forum for the counties outside Davidson. I think if we do one sub forum then others would have to be done. Just a thought. I am not going to vote until this idea is considered. :)

Yes...three geographic regions....West...Middle...and East

We could convert the coffee house into the "surrounding counties." Although I'd have to say, if we did this, what in the world are they doing in the Atlanta forum?

It seems as if it is just Atlanta Metro and Atlanta Coffee House. If that is the model, then there would be no sub metro forum and I can't see a Boro sub forum with just a few people. I think we should all be happy with the growth of all the communities in the Metro area and just dont slam communities. There can be healthy discussions for all the surrounding communities. I for one like to see what is going on in all of the surrounding area without having to go to another forum.

Maybe we should rename the Nashville forum to Nashville/ Middle TN. Much in the same way Miami and South Florida forum is now.

Edited by smeagolsfree

The Nashville forum is supposed to cover the Nashville metropolitan area, not just Davidson county. Maybe we ought to change the name to reflect this.

I would very much appreciate that. I preferred the name "Middle Tennessee," though I would be ok with Nashville/Middle TN as well. Again, my interest is certainly not in putting down Nashville, but in building up my city.

I think a Nashville/Middle TN or Nashville and vicinity is fine. I really don't think Murf has enough going on to warrant their own forum and I'd like to be able to go to one forum to see the topics for all of the Nashville area. I don't think any other cities/metro areas are contemplating moving a suburb into its own forum.

Just this weekend, I met two people and asked where they were from and they responded 'Nashville', but further discussion revealed they were from Murf. Hint, hint....