Radon Problem

tismekll

I would love to relocate to Greenville. It looks like everything I could want in a "new home town".

In my relentless research, I found several articles about radon in Greenville. This has me taken back I must admit. Any first hand information from Greenville residents? Thank you.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Radon is a moderate problem in the Upstate. Soil conditions under the house you are looking at have a lot to do with the concentration of radon in the house, and the soil around here varies greatly (though it is mostly red clay). The best solution is to have a home inspector (who is already inspecting the home for other issues) test for Radon, and take the appropriate steps to alleviate the problem, if one exists.

BTW, welcome to UP!

Radon is a moderate problem in the Upstate. Soil conditions under the house you are looking at have a lot to do with the concentration of radon in the house, and the soil around here varies greatly (though it is mostly red clay). The best solution is to have a home inspector (who is already inspecting the home for other issues) test for Radon, and take the appropriate steps to alleviate the problem, if one exists.

BTW, welcome to UP!

Thank you for your response :-) I would definelty have the house inspected-I guess my concern is the cost involved in radon removal if that is a problem. Something to think about I guess. Thank you for the welcome.

southcarolina_large.jpg

Radon tend concentrate in areas with high levels of granite rock, which you see in the Upstate of SC. Greenville is built on large sections of granite, so there are higher than normal levels of radon. It varies from house to house and especially in different parts of the county. The northern part of the county, being in the mountains, has more radon.

http://www.epa.gov/radon/zonemap/southcarolina.htm

Just get the house tested. There are radon resistent houses, and houses can be retrofitted for radon, so its not necesarily a deal killer.

I havent heard about radon in years. Not that it means anything :)

We were given radon test kits in elementary and middle school to take home and test for it. You sent it off and they told you the results at some point. I never thought much about it really until now.

• 1 month later...

They have adopt a road signs behind Furman on Duncan Chapel Road that recognizes gotradon.com which stands for Got Radon for the longest time I thought it was pronouced "Go tra don" like some Godzilla monster. That's one web address that could have used a hyphen.

Since they have an Adopt a highway sign I assume they must have a local office or something. The web site doesn't look like it's been updated since 1996.

They have adopt a road signs behind Furman on Duncan Chapel Road that recognizes gotradon.com which stands for Got Radon for the longest time I thought it was pronouced "Go tra don" like some Godzilla monster. That's one web address that could have used a hyphen.

Since they have an Adopt a highway sign I assume they must have a local office or something. The web site doesn't look like it's been updated since 1996.

That reminds me of Pen Island, a website devoted to custom-made pens. Their URL?

http://www.penisland.net

They could have used a hyphen as well, huh? :rofl:

That reminds me of Pen Island, a website devoted to custom-made pens. Their URL?

http://www.penisland.net

They could have used a hyphen as well, huh? :rofl:

Yep, my wife and I develop and design web sites as part of our business so I notice things like that and try to advise clients on good web addresses to chose but you've got to wonder if they chose that name on purpose to get the web traffic. I bet a lot of people visit who normally wouldn't go there!

Archived