Grand Rapids Public Schools

numstead

• 1 month later...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Here is Palmer Elementary, a GRPS school that opened back up this January. Mostly interior renovations and window replacement.

Entrance Before-

2578164240076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

Entrance After-

2886490100076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

Gym Before-

2211842300076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

Gym After (new media center)-

2292930820076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

Classroom Before-

2576595720076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

Classroom After (same one)-

2576015750076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

New Gymnasium-

2121066070076271169S600x600Q85.jpg

I believe the gym at Palmer is brand new.

Another school being renovated is Harrison Park Elementary/Middle School. The elementary side received renovations during summer vacation after the last school year. The middle school will get it's renovations during this year's summer vacation. There is a brand new addition to both the middle and elementary school, but the middle school is the biggest addition. I'll try to get pics when I do go up there in the future. They would however be outside only pictures. I would like to see Union High School get renovations as well. They however received a brand new cafeteria during summer vacation between 2004-05 and 2005-06. I don't have pictures of it, but would like some. The media center should get renovations too. I think they should put Air conditioning in there. And the rest of the building just needs change now.

Thanks for the pics sfloria!

Is the gym a new construction?

This post is Regarding North Park School.

The school is over 80 years old. As for the building, it maybe best to replace it with a new building rather than renovate it. The reason it should ge rebuilt rather than renovate it is due to the fact that I've heard there are termites hidden underneath floors. In the gymnasium, they had to put down carpeting due to the fact that there were termites eating up the wood. This was in like 98-99. They have since I left that school in 1997 tried to keep up with some work. Some new windows, little remodeling to the cafeteria, little things like that, but from looking at the outside of that building, it looks like it isn't in that great of shape. It maybe possible to renovate, but probabily best to rebuild.

• 4 months later...

Harrison Park School:

If one has not been to Harrison Park School since like before Memorial Day, you will be in for a suprise. Over the summer, they have been renovating the middle school side of the building. They renovated the elementary school side last year. They've also been doing some work in the elementary playground as well. One will now notice new security cameras on some of the corners on the exterior of the building. Next, the biggest change to the project is what used to be the gym/auditorium in between the elementary school entrance door and the middle school entrance door is now a great big lobby area. The old elementary/middle school entrances had windows installed and I believe will now be used for office space. Today, I kind of looked in through there and it looks quite nice. Though it's still under some construction yet. Other projects included new windows/doors and this school year, the new addition will be opening up. Harrison's building dedication is scheduled to take place on September 20, 2007 at around 4PM. You can read the highlights newsletter for more details. I'll try to get pictures next time I go over in the area.

• 4 weeks later...

This LINK from MLIVE has the story of the controversy surrounding the GRPS school board from a meeting on Monday night.

Since this is a discussion forum about urbanism and the city, I think it is appropriate to consider this. I know that I have not been a supporter of the GRPS in the past, but I find this story to be full of extreme and alarmist reactions from the elected members of the GRPS board of education.

In a nutshell...

"Board Vice President Lisa Hinkel and member Arnie Smithalexander said parents do have school choice -- they are free to move to those suburban districts. "

So now they are encouraging people to leave. Do we desire a city that has no families? Do we want even more people leaving the city?...I thought the goal was to bring people into the city. This is just amazing. Hopefully the next time there is an election, we can rid ourselves of these clowns.

And then this gem:

"Smithalexander said she believes the parents' actions are "blatant racism," and that the parents don't want to send their children to school with minority students, which make up about 75 percent of the city school district."

This kind of statement speaks volumns to where this particular member is. Instead of trying to find ways to fix the GRPS, she simply blames racism. Convenient I guess. Always a nice scapegoat.

I can tell you, I have children in the charter schools. It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with racism or the fact that 75% of the school district is minority. It has EVERYTHING to do with the ineptness in delivering an education and our personal experience dealing with the GRPS.

Blatant racism...get real. That is an absolute insult to everybody with kids who have made sacrifices to live in the city and stuck it out trying to make this place better.

It is no wonder, that so many parents with school aged kids leave GR. It would appear that that is ok with the board and in fact encouraged!!

I sometimes wonder why I stay.

These comments will send a loud and clear message to any family to get out of the city or not move into GR at all. Don't these so-called school board members have any once of sense. The best type of household any city wants are families with school aged children. For starters, such families will need a bigger house. A bigger house will cost more than a small starter home or condo unit. That will garner more property tax for the city. Two, rich, middle class , or poor, the household income of a family with school aged children will have most likely reached its zenith. Therefore the city can garner more income tax from these families than say a freshly married young couple. Three, to meet the needs of raising children, the parents need to hit the local stores more often which means more sales tax for the city. All of this and a whole lot more makes a family with children the most desirable type of household to be living in one's city because the extra tax revenue they contribute can go into things like improving the school system.

So instead of making childishly snide comments, GRPS's school board school be bending over backwards to lure families to move into and stay in GR.

GR can't afford to snub families - Mayor Heartwell

As he points out, the board forgets to realize that families pay taxes to the city AND the GRPS even if their kids don't go there. Driving families out will kill the city and schools.

Understandably the board is frustrated at the large number of "choice vouchers" that are requested, but you can't lash out at and alienate potential future attendees of the school system.

This LINK from MLIVE has the story of the controversy surrounding the GRPS school board from a meeting on Monday night.

Since this is a discussion forum about urbanism and the city, I think it is appropriate to consider this. I know that I have not been a supporter of the GRPS in the past, but I find this story to be full of extreme and alarmist reactions from the elected members of the GRPS board of education.

In a nutshell...

"Board Vice President Lisa Hinkel and member Arnie Smithalexander said parents do have school choice -- they are free to move to those suburban districts. "

So now they are encouraging people to leave. Do we desire a city that has no families? Do we want even more people leaving the city?...I thought the goal was to bring people into the city. This is just amazing. Hopefully the next time there is an election, we can rid ourselves of these clowns.

And then this gem:

"Smithalexander said she believes the parents' actions are "blatant racism," and that the parents don't want to send their children to school with minority students, which make up about 75 percent of the city school district."

This kind of statement speaks volumns to where this particular member is. Instead of trying to find ways to fix the GRPS, she simply blames racism. Convenient I guess. Always a nice scapegoat.

I can tell you, I have children in the charter schools. It has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with racism or the fact that 75% of the school district is minority. It has EVERYTHING to do with the ineptness in delivering an education and our personal experience dealing with the GRPS.

Blatant racism...get real. That is an absolute insult to everybody with kids who have made sacrifices to live in the city and stuck it out trying to make this place better.

It is no wonder, that so many parents with school aged kids leave GR. It would appear that that is ok with the board and in fact encouraged!!

I sometimes wonder why I stay.

I support the improvements of GRPS but im sorry i would not at this point send my kid to this district. The books were outdated compared to suburban districts and the school i went to was not safe at all and so understand many parents concerns. I graduated 2003 and this was at all the schools i went to fights almost daily teachers not able to control the classroom while my brother who went to East Kentwood quiet the opposite. I think it will take time before parents see the districts improvements and want to send there kids to school in GRPS. Race I don't believe is the reason for parents wanting to send there kids elsewhere otherwise alot of thes families would have been gone along time ago they would not be still residing in Grand Rapids.

I support the improvements of GRPS but im sorry i would not at this point send my kid to this district. The books were outdated compared to suburban districts and the school i went to was not safe at all and so understand many parents concerns. I graduated 2003 and this was at all the schools i went to fights almost daily teachers not able to control the classroom while my brother who went to East Kentwood quiet the opposite. I think it will take time before parents see the districts improvements and want to send there kids to school in GRPS. Race I don't believe is the reason for parents wanting to send there kids elsewhere otherwise alot of thes families would have been gone along time ago they would not be still residing in Grand Rapids.

There is a dedication ceremony tonight, 4pm-6pm, at Harrison Park Elementary and Harrison Middle School (northwest side of the city, just east of Alpine Ave). Looks like they added "special classrooms" (whatever that means), a new gym, cafeteria, sports facilities, playground, etc.

• 4 months later...

Three interesting news bites regarding Grand Rapids schools today:

Parent group pitches school renovation plans

Enrollment was way down at North Park, plans to replace the school were scrapped by Bleke, parent involvement now instrumental in getting a $1 Million facelift, school enrollment is now up 283 from a low or 176 in 2002.

Christian elementaries plan merger

...due to low enrollment. Even the new Rockford Christian School enrollment is down.

Grammy nominee to launch GR school for fine arts

This is part of the group's plans to take over the Catholic Diocese property on Burton. The pilot school will be modeled after the successful 680 student fine arts magnet school in Kansas City and the Winan Acadamy of Performing Arts in Detroit.

This comes on the heels of news last week that Campau Park Elementary (the one surrounded by the new Campau Commons development I've posted pictures of here) had enrollment jump 60% in one year:

Rising enrollment helps Campau Park school survive

and then it was recognized by the Federal Government for academic achievement

Are things on the upswing for GRPS?

Just a comment: these plans are likely left over from the work of Dave Smith, GRPS architect who died suddenly in December. Might be a building and reno rush, followed by a long lag time as his successor is hired and moves into the position.

I worked with Dave on some school rooftop concerns. Very nice fellow, seemed to know what he was doing. Many of the Legacy.com tributes to him were amazing.

Just a comment: these plans are likely left over from the work of Dave Smith, GRPS architect who died suddenly in December. Might be a building and reno rush, followed by a long lag time as his successor is hired and moves into the position.

Well, as this is my project I can say we're very much ready to move forward on this one. GRPS Facilities Department is obviously in a huge state of change right now, but they are doing the best they can to move forward. This project is going before the GRPS school board tonight where we hope it will be approved and set on the path to completion.

The South end of the building was one of the most difficult to deal with. The huge energy sucking curtain wall system on the west side of the building is a thermal joke.

We have no idea why the windows were covered up either. We're not even really sure when it happened. But that single change is going to make one of the largest impacts for the school.

The gym is carpeted for the reasons you mention. GRPS has a standard rubberized gymnasium floor that they spec. This is one of the options considered for the gym.

Land is no issue for expansion. Even though the majority of the site overseen by the GR Parks & Rec department, there would be no issue with expansion almost anywhere on that large site.

This summer should bring a host of positive changes for North Park.

Archived