Gangs In Columbia

sonofaque86

There is no answer that the government can provide. Its up to parents to take steps to improve their situation and keep kids out of that type of thing. If its a neighborhood thing, then they should find a way to move. Kids are not smarter than their parents, and good parents should know what is going on.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no answer that the government can provide. Its up to parents to take steps to improve their situation and keep kids out of that type of thing. If its a neighborhood thing, then they should find a way to move. Kids are not smarter than their parents, and good parents should know what is going on.

You are absolutely right Spartan, but the sad fact is that these kids have no strong parents. I would control my kid beyond what the law allowed before I allowed him to become involved in gangs. The parents are unable and garbage, so the government must step in. The best thing to show the kids an alternantive by mentoring in the inner city schools. And the other is by simply stepping up arrests to keep these kids scared. They are punks, nothing more, but they are dangerous. I am not afraid. Let them break into my home and they will see that some of the public is armed and dangerous too! I'll be getting my carry permit soon since I am planning to be working in some of these areas hopefully improving some of the neighborhoods. I did this in Orlando and the neigbors loved me. They loved seeing old rental crack houses being redone and moved in by respectable familes. It was gratifying work and paid decent too. But I have no respect for thugs and will defend myself if attacked. If more of us were armed, the criminals would be scared of us. I know this is a touchy subject, but it's part of the solution.

It's defintely the younger crowd mainly teenagers. Alot of the kids are too young and are not aware of the consequences for such acts. Everybody was young and made mistakes and when you got older to understand you would look back and say."Man I made a A*$ out of my self". These kids needs some guidance in their life. And as I said before alot of the parents don't even know their kids are participating in gangs. Because they know their parents will literly kill them.

I think the question that needs to be answered is "why do kids get involved with gangs in the first place"? I think it's because they don't have anything else to do and their parents either don't care or they're too busy working to support the family to be able to keep an eye on their kids. I think mentoring projects are very important. Teenagers need strong role models who can help them through life's pitfalls.

• 5 months later...

This story will only be more fodder for the sensationalists. I'm not denying that it's a problem (in just about any growing city), but some people will see gang behavior under every rock and behind any type of lawbreaking activity in the city.

I truly hope Coble means business about this and isn't just offering some feel-good type of strategy that won't be adhered to when the rubber meets the road (e.g., the homeless issue).

^ I agree krazee. People will undoubtedly conclude the Columbia is somehow not a safe place to live (compared to the suburbs), though it probably further reinforces the sterotypically bad parts of town around Providence and north Columbia. I think that was a well written article, which unfortunately highlights a growing problem in Columbia. Be thankful that the police are already on top of it.

Archived