Neuhoff and beyond

it's just dave

While cruising the NCharrette of late, and wondering about this property as I drove by the other day, this has come to our attention. I, like the author of the comments, too, had always thought the Neuhoff property would be nicely redone as an arts/condo/greenspace development, but I wasn't quite prepared to see the renderings on this link.

I would avoid going bonkers over this quite yet, but it's an amazing use for these old buildings and the surrounding area. This will be something to watch. I hope these plans can materialize. This will be a huge, huge step in defining the NorthCap area (I think I just made that up) in much the same way as SoBro, The Gulch and Rolling Mill. Imo, there is room for striking classical and striking contemporary. These, and NT, you might have to help me here, are difficult to describe with regards to style. But, I love this. I really love this a lot.

http://intownnashville.com/intownreport/20...date-oh-my-god/

Check it out.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:w00t::yahoo: Wow, thanks so much for posting this. The NorthCap (love that term!) area has been a neighborhood I have thought about alot, as Germantown is my favorite neighborhood in the city. I love how this gets right in there with the waterfront. Just to be clear though, this still doesn't connect downtown out to Germantown right?

dave

in the second picture after the link where is the current building? it seems much more expansive than what i havr seen. does this plan redevelop the industrial sites in front of the current complex (nearthe railroad and the gate?)

Just look for the buildings around the smokestack, those are the ones currently in existence. I was talking to someone who knew about this project, but was unaware that additional property was being considered. I would say, a lot of additional property. Neuhoff didn't encompass all this land originally. Somebody's keeping secrets from us...but we can wait. Hope this one happens.

Holey Moley! That development concept is awesome and mind-boggling as well!!! Geez, I hope this get built. I hope they build it just like the rendering. This would totally transform North Nashville in a profound way, setting the stage for much, much more to come. How exciting!

Here's the renderings from this most exciting proposal:

Neuhoff1.jpg

Neuhoff2.jpg

Neuhoff3.jpg

Neuhoff4.jpg

By the way, I could go along with NorthCap as a name for the area. I tried to think of some alternatives like NoChar, but that one doesn't sound too appealing to me.

How about NoRo for North of James Robertson Parkway?

Nice pictures. Must have dropped a wad on those.

However, my skepticism meter is off the scale. I don't see any heavyweights behind this who have a history of making things happen. Just one rich kid with a lot of time on his hands.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see something like this develop. I'll gladly eat crow if any of it starts to come together, but for the time being, I am filing this next to the renderings of the proposed 55 story Marina Tower (although this does look nicer). <_<

Nice pictures. Must have dropped a wad on those.

However, my skepticism meter is off the scale. I don't see any heavyweights behind this who have a history of making things happen. Just one rich kid with a lot of time on his hands.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see something like this develop. I'll gladly eat crow if any of it starts to come together, but for the time being, I am filing this next to the renderings of the proposed 55 story Marina Tower (although this does look nicer). <_<

I know the owner of the Neuhoff property, and I can assure you that he and his sister are serious about redeveloping. He's well aware of its potential and has explored many possibilities. Neuhoff was the first property in Nashville [and maybe Tennessee?] to get a green roof. An arial shot of the roof, with downtown skyline in the background, was featured a couple years ago in Metropolis magazine in a very nice spread about Nashville. I believe a lot of thought and planning have gone into the site since then, noting the recent proposal and renderings. Also, Neuhoff already has the attention and support of various city bodies, unlike Marina Tower. They have been working with respectable new-to-nashville firms to handle various design aspects. Plus, the International Center for Living Watersheds? That just sounds like a good idea.

I know the owner of the Neuhoff property, and I can assure you that he and his sister are serious about redeveloping. He's well aware of its potential and has explored many possibilities. Neuhoff was the first property in Nashville [and maybe Tennessee?] to get a green roof. An arial shot of the roof, with downtown skyline in the background, was featured a couple years ago in Metropolis magazine in a very nice spread about Nashville. I believe a lot of thought and planning have gone into the site since then, noting the recent proposal and renderings. Also, Neuhoff already has the attention and support of various city bodies, unlike Marina Tower. They have been working with respectable new-to-nashville firms to handle various design aspects. Plus, the International Center for Living Watersheds? That just sounds like a good idea.

I appreciate your respectful response, Barakat, and conceed that you make some good points. Plus the additional background you provided sheds a little more light on what's behind this plan. However, as much as I like the general concept of what is proposed, it seems a very ambitious undertaking for someone with little or no track record for development that I know of.

I'm still going to temper my excitement about this until I see some dirt move.

I didn't even know about this project. It would be quite a jewel in that area of town. Is that the parcel set aside for the new high school and the museum wedged in between the two sections of this project?

I know a guy out of NYC who has millions in Federal Tax Credits who would probably love to know about this project. He has helped out in financing the Westin in Memphis. His name is Bill Grinker of Seedco Financial Services. This is exactly the type of project he is looking for in Nashville.

How about NoRo for North of James Robertson Parkway?

LOL, good call on that one.

I know a guy out of NYC who has millions in Federal Tax Credits who would probably love to know about this project. He has helped out in financing the Westin in Memphis. His name is Bill Grinker of Seedco Financial Services. This is exactly the type of project he is looking for in Nashville.

Do I hear matchmaker? :thumbsup:

Seriously though, sounds like a great project, I'm still a bit fuzzy on the exact location though.

Awesome, Dave!!!

I have been wondering about this property for a while why it has not been re-developed. This would go hand in hand with the master plan for the river front at the NCDC. I look at this project as being done in phases over the long haul. Now if we could just get PSC off the water and have another development just as dramatic there, Nashville would be breathtaking to say the least.

I didn't post this a while back and dont think I could find it now, but there was an article in the Tennessean about the Nashville vs Charlotte and Atlanta as far as the DT's new developments go, and it was stated Nashville had the edge because of the river. Neither Charlotte or Atlanta have a river. Remember this is not a slam against either city. Nashville has huge potential at development because of the undeveloped land on the river near DT. In ten years, I think we will all be surprised at what is happening all along the river.

That's exactly what I've been ranting about for the last two years... Nashville's river can be a tremendous asset if developed properly. I also happen to think it's the perfect size for a river DT... not too wide... not too narrow. Plus, the city controls both sides... rather than having another municipality or state across the river.

FMJ, I think the renderings above show the possible layout schemes rather than the actual architectural designs of the buildings. I really don't know for sure.

Not entirely so. Atlanta has the Chattahoochee, but it's a distance from downtown.

I have to admit, I'm not too enamored of those tacky modernist designs. It screams "1965" to me. :sick:

I'm surprised NewTowner hasn't jumped in here yet on that one. PHofKS's assessment is on the mark. Neuhoff has been a slow, slow process. But it could catch on as Germantown redevelops more. The plans indeed look ambitious and a project of that scale is very costly. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't appear as though the project would extend the street grid over on the property as Rolling Mill Hill is doing.

wow... all that land around the old plant is vacant. It's begging to be developed.

Everything I'm hearing seems to indicate that there is a real possibility for this thing. The big question is whether they can attract someone with pockets deep enough to finance it. It's a beautiful project, it's bold, it's daring, and it's just what Germantown needs to literally take off. It could also spur additional exciting riverfront developments. Please, please someone with deep pockets get on board.

HOLY CRAP I love the design of these buildings! It looks exactly like alot of the newer stuff I saw in The Netherlands. My only concern is that it appears as though some of the buildings don't particularly address the street all that well. Other than that all I have to say is WOW!!!!

I'm surprised NewTowner hasn't jumped in here yet on that one. PHofKS's assessment is on the mark. Neuhoff has been a slow, slow process. But it could catch on as Germantown redevelops more. The plans indeed look ambitious and a project of that scale is very costly. Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't appear as though the project would extend the street grid over on the property as Rolling Mill Hill is doing.

Yeah, I was hoping NT would jump in and echo my sentiments. I do hope the design doesn't resemble the drawings, otherwise it'll be our "shorty village" version of the nightmarish MuseumPlaza in Louisville. I just tend to have a visceral reaction to probably 90%+ of most modernist designs.

Archived