Neuhoff and beyond

it's just dave

I like this modern proposal leagues more than Museum Plaza (which I believe is a neat concept but will probably do more harm to the future Louisville skyline than help). But I guess if you don't like modern, you don't like modern. Not sure what I think of the courtyard landscaping. However, I LOVE all the green glass and the idea of these type of modern developments in the Germantown area. The Nashville skyline would look great with a 700-800 ft. modern glass tower along these lines or maybe more along the lines this small tower recently completed in downtown Detroit (sans the silly spire).

Detroit1.jpg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give NT a break.

He is very passionate about what he likes and we should respect him for that. I am sure he has an opinion but it would not be what you would want to hear. He along with others that may or may not be on this forum are purest in their views. I can see where NT is coming from on a lot of issues because that is what he likes and he tries very hard to sway some here. I for one have given him way too hard of a time but I am sure he is just as frustrated with many here as some are with him.

Just trying to keep the peace and show some respect. :)

I like this modern proposal leagues more than Museum Plaza (which I believe is a neat concept but will probably do more harm to the future Louisville skyline than help). But I guess if you don't like modern, you don't like modern. Not sure what I think of the courtyard landscaping. However, I LOVE all the green glass and the idea of these type of modern developments in the Germantown area. The Nashville skyline would look great with a 700-800 ft. modern glass tower along these lines or maybe more along the lines this small tower recently completed in downtown Detroit (sans the silly spire).

Actually, I don't think this building is all that bad. Call me silly, but I like the spire, it adds a touch of art deco to the structure. I love art deco.

Remember that this is only a conceptual drawing and I am sure there is nothing in stone. The plans are very preliminary and years down the road.

Ah yes, that is true. But it's soooo much fun to dream about what could be, and this concept is really something special IMO. I really hope they manage to get this project going. Maybe it's something Bristol Development would be interested in.

Give NT a break.

He is very passionate about what he likes and we should respect him for that. I am sure he has an opinion but it would not be what you would want to hear. He along with others that may or may not be on this forum are purest in their views. I can see where NT is coming from on a lot of issues because that is what he likes and he tries very hard to sway some here. I for one have given him way too hard of a time but I am sure he is just as frustrated with many here as some are with him.

Just trying to keep the peace and show some respect. :)

I appreciate that, buddy. I know I can be a stinker sometimes, but I promise I am a sweety at heart--and it is only my love of Nashville that gets me all puffed up and purple when I see shuckster-architect gibberish slotted for my town. Things are changing, for the better, but I want them to be the best!

In the meantime--FieldMarshallJ and all the rest of the gang, I have held off on posting regarding the Neuhoff because I know some of the peoples involved and believe them to be good peoples. This is a very complex project and it is honestly taking me a while to digest, particularly given the mysterious absence of a visual maniefstation of all the good intentions I know to be in there somewhere. I have been told that the renderings do not depict the buildings' designs per se--rather, they are just a massing study, a conceptual "theory" of the Neuhoff. I think they reveal some very good things, and some downright ridiculous horsepants, but I need more time to think before I go a-ranting. I promise it will be boring and predictable when I finally do.

In the meantime, I am also in a new apartment in a new city, with no bookshelves and no Internet yet, so that slows things down a little bit too. But I will be back soon. Again--thanks for the kind words, Smeagolsfree.

And thank God that Nashville is The Athens of the South, rather than the Chandigarh of the South! May we rebuild for our children, rather than our hypothetical robotic cyber-buds!

This will be a huge, huge step in defining the NorthCap area (I think I just made that up) in much the same way as SoBro, The Gulch and Rolling Mill. .....

Just had a thought; why not call this part of Nashville what the first settlers called it when they noticed the French were using it to hunt food that migrated to this area. The animals were attracted to a natural salt lick and made easy prey for the French.

It was called, FRENCH LICK!

I know it is a little saucy sounding, but saucy is cool. You think it would ever catch on?

It was called, FRENCH LICK!

I know it is a little saucy sounding, but saucy is cool. You think it would ever catch on?

Perhaps about as well as "Freedom Fries." A lot of American sentiment is pretty anti-French right now. And vice versa.

Did these buildings come out of an Ikea catalogue?

I have to agree with FieldmarshallJ, these buildings do seem pretty mid-60s. I guess that is coming back in style, though. I am relieved at the thought that these are only massing studies. Otherwise, this complex would probably not address the street well and would look like a bad mid-century college campus (I am thinking of the hideous University of Illinois at Chicago campus) or a correctional facility, not that there is much difference. It really looks to me like a series of walls shutting the pedestrian out rather than welcoming them in.

I like some modern architecture, but this project would probably not be my favorite.

Just the same, I am glad that there is intention to develop this land. Isn't it near the waste treatment facility?

Does anyone know if they already own the land being considered for development or if they are planning on buying more property over there. I drove in that area yesterday and noticed some pretty good chunks of real estate for sale. Mostly industrial in nature. This entire area has got HUGE potential. Only a couple of blocks from Morgan Park Place too. I see the makings of a very hip and trendy neighborhood there.

• 6 months later...

Latest report from Intown Blog tells us that new renderings are now in. (They are not much actually but its updated news. The renderings come from the Architects Website that was commissioned for the project)

Here's the link.

http://www.shoparc.com/places.php?pr=14&id=2

Plus the site reports that the scope of the project is 1,000,000 sq ft.

Impressive!

Your right, not a lot of news here except they are moving forward with the project and that is newsworthy in itself. I think this is going to be one of the most exciting projects in Nashville and will rival anything going on in the Gulch. Give us ten years and the whole Capitol Mall area and Germantown are going to be amazing and the hippest place to

Your right, not a lot of news here except they are moving forward with the project and that is newsworthy in itself. I think this is going to be one of the most exciting projects in Nashville and will rival anything going on in the Gulch. Give us ten years and the whole Capitol Mall area and Germantown are going to be amazing and the hippest place to

Detroit1.jpg

I missed Ariesjow's first reference to this building in Detroit. However, as I look at it now, it appears to be a clone of the new Suntrust building in Nashville. I think this type of style looks fresh when (and only when) it's erected beside an older/classical style building as is the case there. In Nashville, it will be next to the Ryman, but unfortunately, it will look like it's about to swallow the whole "mother church" in one gulp.

Here are some related sites concerning the Neuhoff property. I did not include any history of the site. This is going to be a great area for revitalization. I know William and a few others on this board can answer question regarding the owners of the site. Hope this helps a little for those not familiar with the area.

http://www.greenroofs.com/projects/pview.php?id=15

http://www.tva.gov/ed_news/neuhoff.pdf

http://www.nashvillejazz.org/NeuhoffComplex.html

http://enclave-nashville.blogspot.com/2007...renderings.html

From the plan of Nashville, Germantown/Salem town plan:

http://www.civicdesigncenter.org/PDFs/germantown.pdf

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I think at this time I would call this a conceptual project. From what I understand it is years away. I am sure someone knows a lot more about it than I do. William Williams talked to the owners sometime ago and they said it was a long way from happening. This is one we will have to be very patient on if it happens at all.

• 3 years later...

Archived