question for motorcyclists--

Many motorcyclists were on the streets today (which is a Good Thing) but it's got me wondering...

most of the riders I saw were wearing full road armor [i.e., padded jackets and pants], black helmets, and straddling black motorcycles. How can they stand the heat? It astounds me!

Motorcyclists, my hat/helmet is off to you, but oy, vey! Tell me how you do it.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You get on the road and the wind keeps it bearable. Nothing is worse than being stuck in traffic on a motorcycle when it's 95 degrees out. Sometimes in the summer you may cut back on protection. You may wear just a t-shirt rather than a leather jacket, for example. But you have to wear jeans. Otherwise you'll burn your legs on the pipes.

-nb

I don't have a black bike (it's silver) but I do try to wear close to full gear every time I ride. The short of it is that the jacket I wear in the summertime is a lightweight textile mesh that is abrasion resistant so it'll help your skin in the event of a crash but at the same time air goes right through it. Helmets these days have pretty good ventilation and there are gloves that are lighter for summer and that flow pretty well. The only time I really get hot is when I'm stopped. I laugh at the people who wear shorts and t-shirts on bikes. I think it's crazy. Don't even get me started about the guys who wear sandals!

i see girls on the backs of bikes with shorts and sandals on, they'll be havin lots of fun when they fall and loose all the skin on their legs, or get burnt by the pipes.

Yeah, or when they come see me in the ER. Lemme tell ya, kiddos, helmets save lives and leathers save skin. My hat's off to the bikers who are smart enough to still protect themselves in the heat.

I don't have a black bike (it's silver) but I do try to wear close to full gear every time I ride. The short of it is that the jacket I wear in the summertime is a lightweight textile mesh that is abrasion resistant so it'll help your skin in the event of a crash but at the same time air goes right through it. Helmets these days have pretty good ventilation and there are gloves that are lighter for summer and that flow pretty well. The only time I really get hot is when I'm stopped. I laugh at the people who wear shorts and t-shirts on bikes. I think it's crazy. Don't even get me started about the guys who wear sandals!

You're all dead anyway if you crash. ;)

Viva shorts and sandals!

Archived