65 Monroe Center

BigPlayJ

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great to hear Big Play J! 65 is the black building on the corner of Ionia and Monroe Center, correct?

That is the one. I'm not sure what it going on, but it looks like they are looking at removing that skin. There was a hi-lo there yesterday extended up to the roof area it looked like they had removed a piece of the skin to expose the brick.

I'm pretty sure that building is actually two buildings that were connected together at one time. I think it was originally a bank and then the FBI used it for a while.

We shall see.....

That building is across the street from my office so I've been keeping tabs on the work the past couple of days. They basically have removed only one piece of the black exterior and exposed some tan colored brick. I walk past here every day and am torn with which design I'd like better, the original brick or the black cladding from the 40s. I have to say though that the current exterior is in pretty bad shape in some places and is actually crumbling. Whether it's worth fixing, I'm not sure.

I get dibs on the two deco light fixtures in the main entrance!!

Joe

That building is across the street from my office so I've been keeping tabs on the work the past couple of days. They basically have removed only one piece of the black exterior and exposed some tan colored brick. I walk past here every day and am torn with which design I'd like better, the original brick or the black cladding from the 40s. I have to say though that the current exterior is in pretty bad shape in some places and is actually crumbling. Whether it's worth fixing, I'm not sure.

It looks like the "new" window patterned may have completely ignored the original window placement.

If true the brick wall could be a mess.

I don't know JR. It looks like the tops frames of the windows line up:

204023772_30155e0a53_o.jpg

It will be interesting to see what comes out. Are we going to have another painted brick building in the end? -_-

edit: I think the section to the right is already the exposed brick painted black???

Look at this:

65monroecenter4.jpg

I don't know JR. It looks like the tops frames of the windows line up:

edit: I think the section to the right is already the exposed brick painted black???

Look at this:

65monroecenter4.jpg

Yeah, the section to the right is painted brick, as is the rest of the lower building behind it. I also didn't see which company is heading up this project.

I am interested to know....does anyone have any ideas as to what they think the facade for this building should look like?

We have been going round and round for months on what to do with the Albarene stone that was installed in 1927 (incorrectly, by the way) and still keep within our budget. It is literally peeling away from the building and has posed a safety issue.

I think our only option for the rear portion of the building is re-painting it. It would be unwise to blast it due to the cost, and because the two brick styles do not match. Any ideas will be welcome!

I would be glad to share our plans with Urban Planet in time, we are currently in negotiation with a few different users. The final product will be a positive addition to the block!

I am interested to know....does anyone have any ideas as to what they think the facade for this building should look like?

We have been going round and round for months on what to do with the Albarene stone that was installed in 1927 (incorrectly, by the way) and still keep within our budget. It is literally peeling away from the building and has posed a safety issue.

I think our only option for the rear portion of the building is re-painting it. It would be unwise to blast it due to the cost, and because the two brick styles do not match. Any ideas will be welcome!

I would be glad to share our plans with Urban Planet in time, we are currently in negotiation with a few different users. The final product will be a positive addition to the block!

Just for clarification, is the Albarene stone the black facade pieces or is it the cement block-looking stone that the original windows are filled in with?

They are slabs of stone (a locally mined stone) that would be similar to a granite or marble counter-top installed in kitchens. It looks like granite, but it is a mix of a slate and sand stone.

Each piece weighs 250 lbs - and is painted with an oil based black paint. It is grey underneath with "strudel" like earth tone lines running through it sporadically.

We will be adding another story as well....

I'm missing something, first you said "I am interested to know....does anyone have any ideas as to what they think the facade for this building should look like?"

and then you said:

"By the way, we are going to be re-installing the stone on the front of the building and we are retaining the "look" it has now."

Can someone clarify?

Oops....not 1927, but 1937 the stone was installed on the building.

Originally, the building (Godfrey Building) had two additional stories on it but Central Bank demo'd them.

What would be the concensus on black structural glass to be installed over the brick?

Archived