65 Monroe Center

BigPlayJ

To add to this sentiment, I wouldn't think that anyone could question the developers intention in doing a first class rehab. He is putting his money into renovating buildings that the rest of us can only talk about. Was a poor material picked to side this building? IMO, yes. But it wasn't because he was trying to do a quick flip on moving this property. If anything, he would want it to look its best because he is planning on living there himself.

Speaking of which, I was amused when my wife and I were walking by this building on the way from Hopcat 2 or 3 weeks ago and we could see inside the windows a giant projection screen (I'm talking 6'+) on which some sort of ATV racing video game was being played. It just kind of threw me because I wasn't expecting to see any activity in there and I felt like I was accidentally invading someone's privacy. :) Looked like a pretty sweet setup though.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the material goes, it is meant to be used outdoors, so I don't think weathering will be an issue. To me, it really comes down to the "unfinished" look to it. But that's the way it goes sometimes. All but two units are sold, so maybe it's a non-issue.

Exactly. I think had they even used a glossy black as opposed to the matte black it might have made a huge difference.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

That horrible black cladding along the Ionia side of 65 Monroe has started to peel. There are two big sections towards the top of the building that have lost their finish entirely - how long before the rest starts to follow suit? Maybe this will be a wake up call for the owners to peel it off and replace with something of a more permanent nature. (And a little more aesthetically pleasing.)

Didn't see that one coming. ;)

That horrible black cladding along the Ionia side of 65 Monroe has started to peel. There are two big sections towards the top of the building that have lost their finish entirely - how long before the rest starts to follow suit? Maybe this will be a wake up call for the owners to peel it off and replace with something of a more permanent nature. (And a little more aesthetically pleasing.)

• 6 months later...

Wow- Drove by this building yesterday. Really looking bad and the fix 'em up paint job every time it peels isn't helping much. I think I'd be pissed if my condo was in this building and the outside looks like crap a few years later. Imagine what this building will look like 5 years from now. I hope the condo fees account for a new facade!

Joe

Archived