65 Monroe Center

BigPlayJ

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops....not 1927, but 1937 the stone was installed on the building.

Originally, the building (Godfrey Building) had two additional stories on it but Central Bank demo'd them.

What would be the concensus on black structural glass to be installed over the brick?

The Devil's in the details. The joint pattern, trim shapes, etc. are always critical, but especially so with a slick glass look.

Certainly...

I have been a lurker since January and have read the threads of individuals commenting critically (whether positive or negative) on the developments in the city.

Some of you know the cost of aquisition and construction, some of you do not. There is a fine balance between costs and market value. I would love to affix gold plated extriors with fine details, but the reality of it is inconceivable.

Most of you are de-facto students of developments and downtown buildings and have tremendous ideas. I guess I am searching for positive discourse - heck, I may even use YOUR idea for the good of our growing metropolis.

I am also aware that no matter what I do to the building someone is going to get ticked off - that's the business I am in. I guess I am testing this "Urban Planet" system to see if your ideas are valid and applicable.

Personally, I think the black looks like hell and would love to see it all removed. If you ask me, the closer you get to the original look, the better. I'd like to see some pictures too. Thanks for your insight and welcome, intovb! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input invite intovb (alliteration). I agree with Andy Torgo that something more in line with Front Row Condos next door would be the best direction if it's feasible. I don't particularly like the idea of 3 floors of black glass (once you add on the third). Can you "de-brick" the building like the Civic Theatre did and re-brick it? Or, what if you did a very transparent (slightly tinted glass) that actually showcased the brick facade beneath it, while hiding some of the defects? Something similar to this, but put the glass about 12" off of the brick.

202346131_3170a10bd4_b.jpg

Just a thought. Without seeing what lies beneath, it's hard to pick a direction to go. How about deskin the Alabarene and then we can assess it then? :D

Personally, I think the black looks like hell and would love to see it all removed. If you ask me, the closer you get to the original look, the better. I'd like to see some pictures too. Thanks for your insight and welcome, intovb! :thumbsup:

I agree that the black doesn't fit in with the setting very well and usually I am all for restoring buildings to their original design. The only reason I'd be hestitant with this building though is because there isn't much architecture around downtown from the 30s and 40s. I've been trying to think of an example another building from the era, but can't off the top of my head. There numerous buildings from roughly the 1880s to WWI and from after WWII through today, but there aren't many art deco designs from in-between.

I LOVE THE LITTLE BLACK BUILDING (pardon the caps), its so much different than most any other buildings in GR. It has always been one of my absolute favs (of course i like art deco so.....) I would say it depends on what you are going to do with the building, that will decide the look. But know this, if you make it look like the others on the block, then thats all youll have, another one on that block. Someones gotta be feeling me on this

BTW intovb, thanks for taking on this little building. There a few buildings downtown like this that at first glance seem kind of hopeless (Kendall, Keeler), but with some passion and a little creativity may turn out to be the best gems of the block, and help fill in the gaps of pedestrian level activity and curb appeal.

I LOVE THE LITTLE BLACK BUILDING (pardon the caps), its so much different than most any other buildings in GR. It has always been one of my absolute favs (of course i like art deco so.....) I would say it depends on what you are going to do with the building, that will decide the look. But know this, if you make it look like the others on the block, then thats all youll have, another one on that block. Someones gotta be feeling me on this

Aren't we getting (well-designed) Art Deco just down the street? Subway, Hallmark, and bank on Monroe?

Have you considered cheaply re-facing the building? This could be accomplished using rigid insulation with a plaster like finish on the exterior... You can use this in many thicknesses to create basically any look you want on the front of the building...

Edit- this is a very common approach for things like columns and pilasters in the south. I have seen this application used on full, multi-story walls with great success

Founder's Trust? That's not Art Deco. Not even close.

Think Civic Auditorium or the old Public Museum for Art Deco. They are the two finest example we have in Grand Rapids.

Otherwise great examples are the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings and Rockefeller Center in New York.

Have you considered cheaply re-facing the building? This could be accomplished using rigid insulation with a plaster like finish on the exterior... You can use this in many thicknesses to create basically any look you want on the front of the building...

Edit- this is a very common approach for things like columns and pilasters in the south. I have seen this application used on full, multi-story walls with great success

22060227pv2.jpg

(Sorry jbr12, had to do it)

*SHRUG* The guy was asking for options on how to work with what he had... Theres no need to limit himself to painting bricks and blocks that make a building look like a hodpodge of building over the years.

In his first post or so he specifically talked about budgets and things... while it might be nice if he did the 'proper' thing and tore down an entire wall and re-built it like someone suggested, I highly doubt that would fit into a budget easily...

I love the idea of cleaning the existing brick up and protecting it with a 'skin'. Something similar to this has been done to the Bank One/Chase in downtown Ann Arbor. You have to be at the right angle to notice the brick below, but I love the look

I agree. We have enough cute little painted Italianate style buildings on Monroe. I'd keep the black, play off the deco lights (if I can't have them I'm glad they'll be restored) and steel and give it a slick old deco look. Some nice lights on the side that match the round part of the lights and wash light up and down the wall.

Keep it like it is, please. That block needs some diversity in architecture. :thumbsup:

I think the black is ok, but maybe it should be polished up so it's really slick looking?

Also, I'm a fan of rooftop patios, with potted trees/bushes and some tables with umbrellas. If it's practical, that would be really cool.

Judging from what you've said here, and that fact that you've bothered to see what a group of people like us would like, I think whatever you decide will be good. :)

This building would make the best white table cloth restaurant or cool club. HIghlight the architectural friezes with silver leaf (I laughed about the gold plating commment earlier), but keep the art deco feel, even if some re-skinning has to be done. If this facade goes away, a few years from now, people will be lamenting how we lost such a great building.

BTW intovb, thanks for taking on this little building. There a few buildings downtown like this that at first glance seem kind of hopeless (Kendall, Keeler), but with some passion and a little creativity may turn out to be the best gems of the block, and help fill in the gaps of pedestrian level activity and curb appeal.

I agree with GRDad, Intovb. It is great that someone has finally decided to do something with this building. I was involved with a group that took a hard look at this building earlier this year and we concluded it would be a difficult project, especially given the acquisition cost. The building is also very long and narrow, which limits a lot of potential uses.

I for one wil axiously await the completion of the project. For the record, I'm not a fan of the black, but if it were dressed up with some corner accents, rooftop cornice, etc., it might look OK, especially if the exterior can be repaired.

Founder's Trust? That's not Art Deco. Not even close.

Think Civic Auditorium or the old Public Museum for Art Deco. They are the two finest example we have in Grand Rapids.

Otherwise great examples are the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings and Rockefeller Center in New York.

I thought that these were Beau Arts, not Art Deco? :dontknow:

I agree that it should keep true to its current design. It's a unique building in town, and there really isn't anything else like it. Although I do suggest that with a 3rd floor, it will need something along the top or some variety towards the top, otherwise a 3-storey black wall could be boring. Some accent lighting shining down along the wall would be great for night, and grab people's attention as well. Perhaps some decorational steel-looking border-like things (dunno what they're called) beneath and above the windows and along the roofline with an art-deco design could accomplish enough variety for the 3rd floor.

I do like this building, except for the back half on Ionia that is just painted black (it always bugged me). I would try to keep the Art Deco feel. It was mentioned that the building is long and narrow making it difficult to find uses. How about designing the new main entrance to open up in the middle of the building on Ionia?

Archived