65 Monroe Center

BigPlayJ

Apple Store is very regional by nature. Unless Apple adopted a Wal-Mart-eque mantra (God Forbid!), Apple stores will be few and far between. GR was very lucky to get the one in Woodland Mall.

Well, I wouldn't say we were lucky. Apple will put them where they will make money and maintain their image. Being a little exclusive is part of that. They won't dilute the brand by going all Wal-Mart, but they will build enough stores to serve every major metro area. One is probably enough for the Grand Rapids market right now, sure. I doubt we'll see another one any time soon. And I'd really be surprised to see one downtown unless downtown sees a big uptick in shopping, bur right now downtown shopping is rather pathetic. Apple tends to put stores in malls and high-profile urban shopping districts.

I didn't really mean my comment to be taken seriously. But seeing as this building needs a new exterior I'm sure Apple could do something cool with it. Have you seen Apples Michigan Avenue store?

-nb

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this one in Pittsburgh isnt exactly in a high profile area. Downtown GR would be better than this, i think.

IMG_0894.JPG

I think if they put one downtown it could draw people without having it being in high-profile shopping district. I mean, wouldnt you rather buy your aplle computer at an apple store than at best buy, you can get all your service done by people that you know are trained. Plus, i think a lot of people would go to an Apple store, juat because its cool.

Location in a high profile place like Woodland Mall was no factor to me. I chose to go to the Apple store because I knew I was getting my stuff stright from the source instead of going through a third party that didn't know their butts from third base. You don't want to know the pains I had to go through to get Apple products before Apple store opened in GR.

I've always bought my Apple products online. It's never been a problem.

For me, the advantage of the Stores is maintanence. My iPod broke, I took it to the Woodland store and they gave me a new one that day. Super convenient.

What is not convenient is driving to Woodland. I would hit a downtown GR Apple store at least once/week, just for shiggles and to annoy the salespeople about new products. And this location would be perfect for it. (although apple would probably tear this place down in favor of a new build, so that's kinda sad).

Honestly, I'm not sure I care if this building is demolished or not. The orginal facade is long gone, and unless they bring back the art deco facade, there's not much worth saving here. If a new facade is attached then why save the underlying structure?

-nb

i agree 100% I only liked the old facade because it was art deco.

• 3 months later...

They have the Ionia side fenced off and they are ripping up the sidewalk.

Anyone know what they are doing?

This has been quiet for a while

Probably filling in the areaway under the sidewalk. A lot of the old buildings had them. I see there is a Rockford Construction sign out front. Let's hope things are moving forward.

I don't think anybody knows just how close I was to putting a sign up on that wall requesting it to get dressed. I went as far as buying some posterboard to do it. I was going to write

"Help, I'm Naked :(

please dress me."

on the posterboard and put it on that wall with some good tape.

He's also planning to recreate some of the Art Deco look of the Central Bank building with a new facade.

You've made me the happiest reader here today =D

After going to Chicago, I completely feel in love with the Hard Rock Hotel building, an art deco building clad in a black facade. It reminded me of 65 Monroe before getting undressed (although 65 monroe had a more modern look to it whereas the building in Chicago was distinctly more classical)

• 2 weeks later...

That would be a very effective way to annihilate the urban fabric of Monroe center, one of the last places in DT to get a good sense of what the core was like before the 1960's Urban Renewal. No more surface lots in DT please! :sick:

He would be before the Planning Commission asking for an OK to tear it down and put up a parking lot. :whistling:

• 1 month later...

I don't know if I would say the tan lacks creativity. It is, after all, the original brick. The building looks pretty solid to me (except for it naked appearance). I'm sure something nice will come of it.

The facade still looks better than some of the crap facades next door. ;)

removing the blk was a bad idea. i wonder if they saved it....to reuse.

nice way to make the building look liek all the other projects downtown-

will it be red or tan? hmmmmmmmm?

creativity is not one of GR's strong point when it comes to developing....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived