Sad news to report for Razorback Fans....Paul Eels was killed tonight

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was killed in a head on collision tonight on I-40 near Russellville. Paul Eels was the Voice of The Razorbacks and the long time sports anchor for Channel 7 KATV. Prayers go out to his family.

That is terrible news, he was a great guy who loved the hogs. From the police report it appears that his vehicle crossed the median and hit another car head on, killing both him and the driver of the other car. prayers go out to there family.

That is terrible news, he was a great guy who loved the hogs. From the police report it appears that his vehicle crossed the median and hit another car head on, killing both him and the driver of the other car. prayers go out to there family.

Unfortunately there have been quite a few fatalities this year because of the often dangerous roads in this area. It's heartbreaking and I'll say a prayer for both their families.

Unfortunately there have been quite a few fatalities this year because of the often dangerous roads in this area. It's heartbreaking and I'll say a prayer for both their families.

It was on I-40 around Russellville.

Sad, that guy was the essence of the football program as long as I remember. I don't remember far enough back to recall a broadcast without him. He was also just a nice, classy guy.

I think for everyone he really was the voice of the Razorbacks. I really wonder if there's anyone out there old enough to remember anyone else doing the job before him. He apparently was up here in Fayetteville for that event they had at the golf course (I can't think of the name right now) and was driving back down to Little Rock. I also remember him well for being on KATV back when I lived in Pine Bluff. It's been a bit rough for the state recently. Losing Win Rockafeller and Paul Eels both so recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Mike Nail will be the new voice of the Razorbacks. In a sense he already was, he called the Razorback basketball games and I thought he was the best choice to step in after the late great Paul Eells. I'm not sure if he'll do both footbal and basketball games. While Paul Eells had ties to Little Rock Mike Nail has ties to NWA. I'm not sure but I think he also used to be on the local stations just like Paul Eells was down in Little Rock. If I am remembering correctly he was on KHOG then switched over to KNWA (I can't remember it's original moniker). But he had already left well before the stattion switched over to being just a NWA station.

Looks like Mike Nail will be the new voice of the Razorbacks. In a sense he already was, he called the Razorback basketball games and I thought he was the best choice to step in after the late great Paul Eells. I'm not sure if he'll do both footbal and basketball games. While Paul Eells had ties to Little Rock Mike Nail has ties to NWA. I'm not sure but I think he also used to be on the local stations just like Paul Eells was down in Little Rock. If I am remembering correctly he was on KHOG then switched over to KNWA (I can't remember it's original moniker). But he had already left well before the stattion switched over to being just a NWA station.

Mike Nail is going to do it this season. After this year there will be a nationwide search.

Mike Nail is going to do it this season. After this year there will be a nationwide search.

Ah, I see. I hope that if he is interested in staying on that he'll be given first shot. I've always liked him quite a bit and thought he was a great fit for the job.

Ah, I see. I hope that if he is interested in staying on that he'll be given first shot. I've always liked him quite a bit and thought he was a great fit for the job.

He is, but I think they want someone that is young enough to be a long-term guy for the job. Paul Eells came from out of state and had no previous UA affiliation an worked out extremely well. I'm assuming whoever gets it will be offered some kind of gig with KATV as they are the parent of ARSN and he would be involved in the coaches' show, other UA segments, etc.

Archived