Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NCB

New Orleans

18 posts in this topic

I spent the day in New Orleans on Saturday for a photo tour of the city, and I thought I'd post them here. I got in early in the morning and started walking around at about 6:15 and at that point there was some action downtown, but it was still early on a Saturday so I wasn't expecting that much to be going on. But later on in the day I was very happy to see just how vibrant the city was. Tourist's were everywhere, musicians and street performers were all around the French Quarter, the Riverfront was packed, Cafe Du Monde was packed, Jackson square was alive with artists and performers, and every store, bar, and restaurant in the French Quarter was full. I talked with a group of tourists from Charlotte visiting New Orleans for the first time on the ferry ride across the Mississippi, and a bus full of Asian tourists was parked along the Riverfront. This was all just fantastic to see, and it seems like the tourists are finally starting to really pour into the city again, and the "Oh no, we can't go there, everything was destroyed, and it all looks the same as it did last August" mentality may be diminishing, which is great for the city in so many ways.

Anyway, here are around 50 of the pictures I took around New Orleans.

A beautiful morning sunrise over the Mississippi

img6573tp7.jpg

From American to European with the turn of a head

img7286sb5.jpg

img7287og8.jpg

img6605ko3.jpg

img6608zb5.jpg

img6630yo2.jpg

img6649dr3.jpg

img6662ta7.jpg

img6682rl3.jpg

img6689vq5.jpg

img6699cq0.jpg

I love this section of Saint Charles Avenue

img6700xy6.jpg

img6762on0.jpg

img6773mh7.jpg

img6785aw1.jpg

The side of the Superdome in all of its massive glory

img6846te8.jpg

img6842hz1.jpg

img6892et0.jpg

img6923dh4.jpg

Dense and colorful

img6928us8.jpg

img6934st8.jpg

img6947vq6.jpg

img6949yq8.jpg

The largest port in the Western Hemisphere

img6962cq8.jpg

img6971be4.jpg

img7081qh8.jpg

img7263fp9.jpg

img6997mp9.jpg

img7034af4.jpg

img7032ux4.jpg

Jackson Square

img7111kh1.jpg

img7118tp6.jpg

img7122jh5.jpg

img7126ih5.jpg

img7130jf3.jpg

img7134vu2.jpg

Pirates Alley

IMG_7155BW.jpg

On the Saint Louis Cathedral

img7153zg1.jpg

And now into the French Quarter

img7172qz6.jpg

img7194rr0.jpg

img7208cz6.jpg

IMG_7210BW.jpg

img7216cb8.jpg

img7225yb6.jpg

img7231mg3.jpg

Cheers from the Crescent City!

IMG_73174.jpg

WOW ! ;) Truly great shots Nate. Thanks for sharing all of those pics. What a great looking city. New Orleans is an urban oasis. Such variety in architecture both old and new. Very impressive density too. Some of those shots of the urban canyons were suprising as well.

This is certainly the BEAST of New Orleans threads. Awesome, great tour! In this photo, this is the block I stayed in last time I was in New Orleans. I stayed at The International House, which is in the center on the right side of this photo:

img6934st8.jpg

Absolutely stunning shots, Nate! Great composition in those shots :thumbsup:

Wonderful pics Nate. :thumbsup: Nice to finally get to see some of the pics you took on your recent trip. Were all of these pics from that one trip?

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Wonderful pics Nate. :thumbsup: Nice to finally get to see some of the pics you took on your recent trip. Were all of these pics from that one trip?

Yep, all of these pictures were from my photo tour on Saturday. I took a total of 736 pictures in a little under 10 hours.

Excellent thread. Thanks for sharing these with us.

I love NO.....there's just some charm the city has that can't be found anywhere else!

awesome pics. I recall they were thinking about tearing down the superdome after the hurricane ordeal. Is that still so?

awesome pics. I recall they were thinking about tearing down the superdome after the hurricane ordeal. Is that still so?

Oh no, it's currently recieving a $180+ million renovation, with plans for another $150 million renovation in the near future. It will reopen on September 25 on Monday Night Football for the Saints first game in New Orleans since Katrina, vs the Atlanta Falcons. :thumbsup:

New Orleans is the best cultural center in the South and some of these pics show it :thumbsup:

New Orleans is the best cultural center in the South and some of these pics show it :thumbsup:

agreed. i would argue only new york has more of a cultural influence in the US. NO is truly one of a kind

I went ot the Rite Aid show last year, ANd I was really impressed. :D Left Right when katrina hit :D