Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dtown

Traverse City, Michigan

29 posts in this topic

Here are some photos of Traverse City, MI. A city of about 15,000 located on Lake Michigan's Grand Traverse Bay. The Traverse City region is know as the Cherry Capital of the World, it produces 75% of the tart cherries grown in the US.

Well start it off with the West End Beach located just north of downtown, at the base of the GT Bay.

203563926_b3e458ae3c_b.jpg

Next up is the Radio Centre- Phase One buiding located on East Front St.

187043205_a8a31b313d_b.jpg

The corner of Front and Union St

187017021_3ccea09f6b_b.jpg

The corner of Front and Cass

187017022_8f7b8bf158_b.jpg

This one is looking up Union St at Grandview Parkway

203664836_e7349a2130_b.jpg

And this is the Jay Smith Walkway, a nice little urban park wedged between two buildings on Front St.

187043209_b44fb3cea6_b.jpg

One of the buildings in the Rivers Edge development on Cass Street with the Haggerty Insurance building on Lake Ave next to it.This used to be the site of a large iron foundary.

187043206_93139f0f4b_b.jpg

The old Ladies Library building( the one covered in ivy) and some other buiding that i think might be a chirch.

187043208_aec21e6155_b.jpg

And to close it out, a shot of the never ending blueness of Lake Michigan on a calm summer's day.

187017018_cda2149354_b.jpg

Looks like a cool place. I can't get over how tropical Lake Michigan looks in that last photo! What are the water temps in the summer on the lakes?

Well, I got hypothermia once, swimming in Lake Huron on the 4th of July. On the other hand, in a shallow cove of Lake Superior near Marquette, the water felt like bath water.

Generally, no one is going to mistake Lake Michigan for the Gulf of Mexico!

Well, I got hypothermia once, swimming in Lake Huron on the 4th of July. On the other hand, in a shallow cove of Lake Superior near Marquette, the water felt like bath water.

Generally, no one is going to mistake Lake Michigan for the Gulf of Mexico!

Ive been in both, the Gulf of Mexico and Lake Michigan, there is NO comparison!!!

Travers City is beautiful, I haven't been there in years. One of the most scenic drives I've ever taken is up the "Old Mission" peninsula, (I forget the name of it) out to the lighthouse.

No, you got it right, it's Old Mission Lighthouse. Typically, the northern lakes will reach into the 70 degrees during summer, especially bays like Grand Traverse.

I'm sorry, dtown, but I need to see more. :)

Awesome shots man! The first shots Ive seen of Traverse City, it seems like an awesome place :D

Cool pics, I'd like to see more also. I've been able to visit many towns up north but not Traverse City yet.

thanks guys.

unfortunatly i dont have anymore pics, my camera was full of photos that i forgot to pt on my PC, so i only had room for a few shots. i might go up there one more time this summer, so ill try to get more pics.

Recchia- the lakes are cold, lol. i also love how they look tropical. The Traverse City region is a very beautiful area. you should see the sand dunes, some rise 200 feet over the shores of Lake Michigan.

alright, i lied, i found a few more.

This one is of the Park Place Hotel, Traverse City's tallest building. weighing in at 10 stories.

204558800_0026d3ac7e_b.jpg

This one is of the back of the Haggerty Insurance Building, which is tied into the Rivers Edge building via a skywalk. Hagerty is the nations largest insurer of classic cars, collecter cars, and classic boats.

204558799_d894ababca_b.jpg

And to finish it off, the city's Duncan Clinch Marina.lol, im not sure what that floating thing is. someones fake campfire is my guess.

204558797_4779fe9901_b.jpg

Enjoy.

Traverse City! Thanks for the pics...I needed to see those! My family used to live in Harbor Springs, so I'm pretty familiar. Wonderful place. I think it would amaze some people that this is in the Midwest. Many people on the coasts just can't imagine that something like this exists in the middle of the country.

I would say Lake Michigan is better than the Gulf of Mexico. I can't stand swimming in salt water. :sick: The big lake's water temps this week has been in the upper 70's.

Great pics dtown!

Traverse city has a lot of growth going on. I have several friends from college who live there and believe its downtown will be like the next Ann Arbor. It definitely is starting to get a sort of cosmopolitan feel to it.

I hear a lot of good things come from Traverse City. At the same time, I hear that it's experiencing a sprawl problem comparable to cities much larger than itself. Hopefully, this will not effect the downtown renaissance, and I really don't think it will since Traverse City is the only major downtown for many miles. It pretty much has a monopoly on "urban living" in that area of the state.

yeah, theres lots of downtown development for a city that small. a couple of 7 and 8 story buildings planned.

I think it is the south and west areas of the city that are sprawling the worst. I remember when I went to Traverse City West High School and traveling down Silver Lake Highway and seeing the massive low-density sprawl. I think a lot of effort should be focused on Munson Avenue (US 31) as it leaves town and hooks around the east bay. That could be a very cosmopolitan strip (with a rural touch of course). :)

speaking of development, this project is that proposed 8 story building for the west end of downtown, its 100 feet tall, and includes condos and a public parking deck.

color_photo_perspective.jpg

Looks nice, but the bottom looks a bit too garagish. I wonder if that can be softened?

the bottom is a parking garage, lol.

I know. I just meant, maybe it can be softened more to look like a building. :)

Well, it looks like the project (as currently proposed) is now dead, anyway, since the city rejected the overwhelmingly bond, yesterday, that would have allowed the state to build the parking garage. The whole project, from what I understand, was contingent upon that.

yeah thats what i heard. Damn nimbys, hopefully the developer can find some provate investors or somethin, or come up with a differnt project.

I know. I just meant, maybe it can be softened more to look like a building. :)

It would be nice if it didn't look like what it is (a building on top of a prking ramp). I know that those are probably balconies, but it would help if the condos weren't as deeply recessed.

Plus, could you refresh my memory: is their anything on this site currently? I know if there is it can't be much.

its like a bunch of grass and gravel and a parking lot.I think that building in the corner of the lot was supposed to be demolished to make room for this building too.

existing4_fs.jpg

Well, I got hypothermia once, swimming in Lake Huron on the 4th of July

That's surprising considering Lake Huron averages 70 degrees in July, and hypothermia only sets in at a much, much colder temperature.