Visionary Member

The challlenge for the week to my fellow poster is to come up with a development plan for one of the following:

Southern Hills

North Market Area, including MLK

Allendale, near downtown

Cedar Grove

Line Ave District -Highlands area

Airport Area around Greenwood Rd

Please pick one of the following , please disregard any previous rendering because I want to hear your vision about these areas.

Golf Courses,Condos & shopping centers are inclusive

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't want to take up too much time talking about one area versus another so i will give a general idea for every area mentioned.

Southern Hills

I would work with the developers that represent the owners of land on Bert Kouns from I-20 to I-49.

There are more than 1000 acres of undeveloped land that could be used to attract a major manufacturing plant and a couple of movie studios. I would also work hard to create opportunities for revitalization of existing structures eg. old Sam's and old AT&T.

North Market (not including MLK, because i haven't seen it upclose in a long time and couldn't make a decision to correct without current info).

Since I-49 is going through that area anyway why not try to set up new zones for growth with the eventual growth of on and off ramps? At each of the 4 corners of an on/off ramp system you have the opportunities for gas, food and hotel. These may not be huge gains at first but they are a catalyst for further development.

Allendale and Cedar Grove

I would install more closed circuit security cameras to aid the police in patrolling the areas of known crime for criminal activity. We should help the decent people who are afraid to go out of their homes to get more involved in crime prevention. More random sweeps of known criminal hotspots and stricter enforcement of housing codes so we can speed up the process of tearing down the slums of crackhouses that criminals love to squat in.

Line Ave/Highlands

More of the same from the Allendale solution but also we should look into upgrading the power infrastructure and drainage around Youree drive. We should force the power company to do their jobs of cutting back trees to prevent power outages in that part of town because anyone who has lived there can tell you that outages happen way too often. Let's not talk about how Youree floods when it rains.

Airport/Greenwood Rd.

More building code enforcement to take out the eyesores that give a bad impression to the travellers who fly into Shreveport and the first thing they see is delapidated buildings all around them. Greenwood road is being renovated/rebuilt near the Par 3 golf course and the last time i looked it appeared to be all 5 lane. Now if only they could have done that to Mansfield Rd. a few years back, when they had the chance.

That is a rough draft and doesn't reflect any idea that i haven't fully fleshed out yet.

As i say, i am tired and am about to crash for the night,

Mudbugger

Archived