Construction Thread-Orlando-Paramount

Aga11940

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, the Main Event started about 5-6ish this morning when they turned on the floodlights. Check out this

at about 8 a.m. When I went to the street about that time, there was a chart near the truck staging area that said about 1100 cubic yards had been poured at that point.

View of three pumps along Central Blvd.

dscf0094ob6.jpg

Closeup of truck dumping concrete into a pump on Lake Ave.

dscf0095ov4.jpg

A view east on Central Blvd. with The Waverly in the background. About 40 trucks at a time are staged along Central from Rosalind to the site at Lake Ave.

trucklineupwx1.jpg

Close look at middle pump on Central

dscf0104xu7.jpg

And a closer look in the pit

inthepitut9.jpg

The noise is driving my wife crazy, which is an excuse to spend some time at the mall today. More updates to come.

I just got home a few minutes ago, and all's quiet on E. Central. They just turned off the lights, and the streets are open. I've been gone all evening and was wondering if anyone knew when they finished. They finished well in advance of what was expected.

Hardin is calling it the largest concrete pour in downtown Orlando. We all know Florida Hospital is the largest in the entire city. I got a copy of press materials Hardin distributed with these trivia details:

-Rinker Materials supplied the concrete from nine "Ready Mix" plants

-a time-elapsed camera captured the pour of the 11,000 cy of concrete weighing more than 54 million pounds

-in excess of 3,900 truckloads of dirt were removed in 30 days

-the foundation measures 250ft x 330ft x 4.5ft deep

-the foundation is supported by 80 augercast pilings 16 inches in diameter and 45 feet long

-a deep well dewatering system utilizing 25 point heads removes 350,000 gallons of water a day

-there are 1,680,000 pounds of high strength Schedule 75 reinforcing steel in the top and bottom layers of the foundation

-Hardin placed 900 cubic yards of concrete per hour at the height of the pour

-Rinker used 140 concrete trucks

-6 concrete placing booms were used

-About 400 workers were on site

It was fun while it lasted, and I guess we'll look forward to the cranes arriving in a couple of weeks.

I was talking with one of the Hardin workers yesterday and asked when the cranes would be showing up. He told me next weekend & they are actually using the last remaining crane over at Star Tower. I guess it comes down next weekend and moves basically across the street.

How convienient! :)

Pretty good stuff. I was very impressed by the coordination by the city given the obvious obstacles. Hopefully we can finally get this thing going vertical. As far as the cranes go, one is ready (obviously), but the other one on Star still has quite a bit of work left to be done that will require heavy lifting. The work that will take place in the next four months on Paramount, one tower can more than handle the load, assuming they use the one in the middle.

Still I'm not quite sure about the claim of being the largest pour ever downtown, CNL 1 was no slouch. Who cares? Good job. Go Orlando.

What will become of the SW corner that is yet to be excavated? That's where the big red crane is now. Will it be excavated later and poured later?

The guy from Hardin that spoke to residents at The Waverly said that it was already poured. They backfilled it to place the crane on it. I vaguely remember them doing it over the course of half a day about a month ago.

Does anyone have any idea how deep into the lot the tower portion is going to go? I assume it couldn't go any farther back than where the crane closest to Central will be. My wife and I have been trying to visualize just what will be left of our view corridor. I'm sure our sunrises and view of shuttle launches are safe, but we'll lose about a third of our lake view and no more views of pedestrian and street traffic on Central.

Crane is up. The big red mobile crane is being dismantled as I post. And there is a lot of timber on site today and forms are going up. This thing would start going vertical, but it's in the hole.

I think that compared to 55W and Dynatech ... they worked at lightning speed after the big pour to put tons of forms and such into the hole. If this keeps up it will fly past those two jobs in a hurry.

Archived