Construction Thread-Orlando-Paramount

Aga11940

there was a post in the waverly regarding a powerpoint presentation that will be conducted by Hardin. The presentation will be conducted next Thursday, September 14 inside the Waverly regarding completion date, number of floors, etc. Hopefully i will be able to attend it and if there are any new information provided, I will relay it on here.

Here's a pic of said posting in the elevators. They claim that the foundation concrete pour will set records for Central Florida. Could that be true? I thought Florida Hospital set some kind of record. It's hard to imagine a residential site trumping anything any of the theme parks or hotel resorts have done. I plan on being at the meeting, too. If anyone has any questions for me to lob at these guys, please let me know.

dscf0082wk2.jpg

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Negative Ghostrider. Florida Hospital will be the largest pour for quite some time. I spoke with the pump company last week and he said they are only pumping maybe 10,000CY, its still an impressive number but its nowhere close to Florida South. Remember also, the volume count has to be adjusted for the elevator pits which get poured ahead of time.

It'll be impressive. Simply with the location of the six pumps plus the line of trucks, all on a saturday night, downtown :blink: . It should be interesting.

Negative Ghostrider. Florida Hospital will be the largest pour for quite some time. I spoke with the pump company last week and he said they are only pumping maybe 10,000CY, its still an impressive number but its nowhere close to Florida South. Remember also, the volume count has to be adjusted for the elevator pits which get poured ahead of time.

It'll be impressive. Simply with the location of the six pumps plus the line of trucks, all on a saturday night, downtown :blink: . It should be interesting.

Maybe they are going for a speed record?

I'm playing around with my digital camera and YouTube, and everyone will be subjected to more views of the hole in the ground. The video is shot from the Waverly starting with a look north at the Lake Eola fountain ending with a look south at Star Tower topping out.

that's pretty cool. what a view of Star.

Well, the representative from Hardin gave his Powerpoint presentation and filled about 20 of us in on the upcoming concrete pour Sept. 23-24. The guy tried to impress upon us how big a deal it was but conceded that Florida Hospital was much larger. The pour will take 24-30 hours using six pumps (can't wait for the noise). Five concrete plants from downtown to Lake Mary are being used. To accommodate the truck traffic, Central will be blocked and turned one way from Rosalind to Osceola. Pine from Lake to Oscela will be off limits as well. Apparently 20 police officers have been assigned traffic duty in the area.

About two weeks after the pour, the tower cranes will arrive, one of which will come from Star Tower. One engineering bit I found interesting was how the the building will be "floating" in five feet of water when they take away the pump on the northwest corner. Apparently the Capital Plaza building on the other side of the Waverly has a deep basement, too, that they constructed the same way. The basement will have about 300 parking spaces for the Publix, and there will be another 350+ spaces in the deck for residents.

Probably the thing that concerned me the most was the actual height. The tower portion will be 16 stories that translate to about 240ft, which is the same height as the front portion of The Waverly. The Waverly is 22 stories at its max, and I think some people on the higher floors thought they would be looking down on top of The Paramount. It's really going to screw with my view. I'll still be able to see Lake Eola and the fountain, but will lose my horizon view to the northeast and will have to learn to close my blinds. There are several units in The Waverly for sale, and the majority are on the east side. I wouldn't be surprised to see asking prices creep down as buyers realize the impact of The Paramount on views.

As for the current timeline, they expect to build the basement to grade by the end of the year with a topout by June 2007. The Publix and move-in for some residents is expected to be by April 2008 with total completion of the project June 2008.

I'm sure there's something I'm missing here. Anyone else who was there want to chime in?

Sorry to hear about the view, but I got to tell you, I'm pleasantly suprised to hear that it will be the height of The Waverly. I guess that I have never really paid much attention to the height, so thats good to hear. Although @ roughly 14.5 feet/floor, taking into account that the first floor is 20 feet, seems like a bit of a stretch.

Is this entire building already in hard contract?

Can't wait for it to be completed and see the urbanity & foot traffic it will attract.

And for sure it will just turn into another gay publix.

And even NYC does not have a full size grocery store in their downtown. Yay!!!

and Miami won't either if Met 3 doesn't go thru with the WHole Foods.

Can't wait for it to be completed and see the urbanity & foot traffic it will attract.

Yes all contracts are hard. I was told that they have 4 unsold units left.

I agree with you on the urbanity and foot traffic. I'm a recent transplant as a short-term New Yorker and find it scary to walk around downtown Orlando because everyone is driving into their parking decks instead of walking everywhere.

I'm not sure what part of NYC you're referring to not having a grocery store, but there are at least four Whole Foods in Manhattan, three south of 34th Street and one on the Upper West Side with talks of opening one somewhere near Harlem. In lower Manhattan, Battery Park City has some options, but no one really lived near Wall St. and the South Street Seaport until after 9/11. No one really cooks in New York anyway, but for the ones that do, Fresh Direct is an online grocer that has a selection, quality and price comparable to the corner market but delivers the food directly into your kitchen within 24 hours. The closest my wife has been able to find anything like that here is OrlandoOrganics.

Back on the urbanity thing around Eola, how long will it be before Post Parkside is torn down for something bigger and better or converted to condos? If I bought into the Paramount, I'd be worried about my sight lines if the land the 4-story portion of Post is on is zoned for something higher.

Back on the urbanity thing around Eola, how long will it be before Post Parkside is torn down for something bigger and better or converted to condos? If I bought into the Paramount, I'd be worried about my sight lines if the land the 4-story portion of Post is on is zoned for something higher.

Post Parkside is a new structure-- built in the late 1990's-- the 4-story portion with retail at the base.

I sure as hell hope The Metropolitan goes first...

I sure as hell hope The Metropolitan goes first...

AMEN!

All that aside, Post is the only rental property downtown that has potential to be put up for sale and bought for additional redevelopment once land gets much more expensive in the next decade or so. There isn't much hope for seeing the Metropolitan go away since the condo owners would have to be bought out, but it could happen.

Archived