Can Spartanburg support another downtown hotel?

roads-scholar

Downtown Spartanburg seems to be on a roll these days with new restaurants, condos, office buildings, refurbished Morgan Square, the Chapman Cultural Center opening soon, and hopefully a new Mast General Store to anchor Main Street retail.

We all know that the Marriott at Renaissance Park has been an unqualified success but can downtown Spartanburg support another hotel? I personally feel something along the lines of a Hampton Inn would fit in nicely. It would be nice to have it located close enought to Morgan Square for guests to stroll over to the restaurants and shops.

I welcome everyone's thoughts.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the answer is yes. Maybe not one the size of the Marriott, but definitely something. Hampton Inn would be nice. Something could go in that lot next to the HJ building.

A better location would be on Commerce St where that lowrise flat building is next to the parking garage. Lets toss that and build up.

Downtown Spartanburg seems to be on a roll these days with new restaurants, condos, office buildings, refurbished Morgan Square, the Chapman Cultural Center opening soon, and hopefully a new Mast General Store to anchor Main Street retail.

We all know that the Marriott at Renaissance Park has been an unqualified success but can downtown Spartanburg support another hotel? I personally feel something along the lines of a Hampton Inn would fit in nicely. It would be nice to have it located close enought to Morgan Square for guests to stroll over to the restaurants and shops.

I welcome everyone's thoughts.

Roads-scholar your right on target. I think a limited service hotel within walking distance of Morgan Square should be a great opportunity for a developer. I also think that with the closing of Palmetto Galeries the market is also ready and hungry for Mast General, an Ice cream store, condo's and much much more.

Yeah the first ice cream store to open downtown will get a lot of business from me. I dont go the other ones because they are usually out of my way.

I hope we get a Cold Stone Creamery (it would be the 1st one in Spartanburg) downtown (I would wish for Marble Slab too, but there is a Marble Slab very close by in Converse). I've been to the one in Greer near Panera Bread and Target once, and they have great ice cream and they sing when you tip them.

I'm sure Spartanburg could. Wofford, Converse, and the Miss South Carolina pagaent would help keep it busy (among other things). I'd like to see one that would add to the skyline!

Spartanburg could also use a Spill The Beans! But then again, I wouldn't wish their new higher prices on you guys <_< . No, I'm not bitter. Just looking for a new favorite ice cream place... :whistling:

Coldstone is ok. I like Marble Slab batter myself. But either would do :) Supposedly there will be a Marble Slab on the westside in that new town center thing by the mall.

Well come to think of it, Greenville has two Marble Slabs close-by each other (one on Woodruff Road, and one in Haywood Mall)...maybe Spartanburg's downtown COULD support a Marble Slab. Sandwich Factory now has Hershey's Ice Cream in their store. Wasn't Ben & Jerry's looking for a Spartanburg location?

Well come to think of it, Greenville has two Marble Slabs close-by each other (one on Woodruff Road, and one in Haywood Mall)...maybe Spartanburg's downtown COULD support a Marble Slab. Sandwich Factory now has Hershey's Ice Cream in their store. Wasn't Ben & Jerry's looking for a Spartanburg location?

Good point.

Was Ben & Jerry's looking? This would be news to me.

You guys got me wanting ice-cream yesterday, so I had to walk to Baskin Robbins at the corner of Main and Pine. It's easy to forget that they are there. I wish they would update their location, but great ice cream cakes. The Hershey ice cream at Sandwich factory is pretty good also. i guess what I'm saying is I would help support all. Bring it on!!!

Oh, this is about hotels.... I think something along the Hilton Garden Inn or along those lines would be successful downtown. I don't know if Sparanburg is ready for another true full service hotel/convention center quite yet.

It could probably have some services, it just depends on what they are. The convention aspect is unecessary, and the hotel should only be used to enhance the Marriott's position as a convention/conference center. A restaurant would not be necessary if they build it closer to Morgan Square. Or maybe at the NW corner of Church and St John. That crappy little building there needs to go.

You guys got me wanting ice-cream yesterday, so I had to walk to Baskin Robbins at the corner of Main and Pine. It's easy to forget that they are there. I wish they would update their location, but great ice cream cakes. The Hershey ice cream at Sandwich factory is pretty good also. i guess what I'm saying is I would help support all. Bring it on!!!

Oh, this is about hotels.... I think something along the Hilton Garden Inn or along those lines would be successful downtown. I don't know if Sparanburg is ready for another true full service hotel/convention center quite yet.

In response to: You guys got me wanting ice-cream yesterday, so I had to walk to Baskin Robbins at the corner of Main and Pine. It's easy to forget that they are there. I wish they would update their location

It would be great to get one of those new two-in-one Baskin-Robbins/Dunkin' Donuts (the latter of which I heard was ALSO looking into locating in Spartanburg). I think they have some of these in some North Carolina cities such as Winston-Salem/Greensboro and perhaps Raleigh-Durham.

Archived