New Orleans

NCB

I spent the day in New Orleans on Saturday for a photo tour of the city, and I thought I'd post them here. I got in early in the morning and started walking around at about 6:15 and at that point there was some action downtown, but it was still early on a Saturday so I wasn't expecting that much to be going on. But later on in the day I was very happy to see just how vibrant the city was. Tourist's were everywhere, musicians and street performers were all around the French Quarter, the Riverfront was packed, Cafe Du Monde was packed, Jackson square was alive with artists and performers, and every store, bar, and restaurant in the French Quarter was full. I talked with a group of tourists from Charlotte visiting New Orleans for the first time on the ferry ride across the Mississippi, and a bus full of Asian tourists was parked along the Riverfront. This was all just fantastic to see, and it seems like the tourists are finally starting to really pour into the city again, and the "Oh no, we can't go there, everything was destroyed, and it all looks the same as it did last August" mentality may be diminishing, which is great for the city in so many ways.

Anyway, here are around 50 of the pictures I took around New Orleans.

A beautiful morning sunrise over the Mississippi

img6573tp7.jpg

From American to European with the turn of a head

img7286sb5.jpg

img7287og8.jpg

img6605ko3.jpg

img6608zb5.jpg

img6630yo2.jpg

img6649dr3.jpg

img6662ta7.jpg

img6682rl3.jpg

img6689vq5.jpg

img6699cq0.jpg

I love this section of Saint Charles Avenue

img6700xy6.jpg

img6762on0.jpg

img6773mh7.jpg

img6785aw1.jpg

The side of the Superdome in all of its massive glory

img6846te8.jpg

img6842hz1.jpg

img6892et0.jpg

img6923dh4.jpg

Dense and colorful

img6928us8.jpg

img6934st8.jpg

img6947vq6.jpg

img6949yq8.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that don't know that photo 7 photo's up of the yellow building with the white car in front is a photo of a double shotgun. It's split right down the middle so 2 families can live in it. Personally I don't think I could survive in a house that narrow. I'd buy the neighbors out and turn it into one house.

Is New Orleans the biggest port in our hemisphere? I remember it was New York City, then it became New Orleans then it became New York City again.

I really like this batch of photos you've taken. I like that CBD parking photo, if I wasn't told I would've thought it was some major northern city like Chicago or New York City.

How about taking some photos of the neighborhoods? So people can get a feel for the varying housing and density levels? Like Lakeview, St Charles Ave., the denser poorer areas too. Don't take any destruction photos, just of housing that survived.

When I look at these photos, I'm reminded of all the people that said New Orleans should be bulldozed and I think of what a waste and a setback it would be to our nation to lose such a unique and vibrant city with so much history. If we actually did bulldoze it down I don't think future generations would have ever forgiven us for robbing them of a city that they'd love to visit but can only read about in the history books.

If you want to bulldoze something go bulldoze Atlanta.

Is New Orleans the biggest port in our hemisphere? I remember it was New York City, then it became New Orleans then it became New York City again.

Yes, the entire Port of South Louisiana(centered around the Port of New Orleans) is the largest port in the Western Hemisphere and the 4th largest in the world. In terms of bulk cargo, it is the largest in the world.

When I look at these photos, I'm reminded of all the people that said New Orleans should be bulldozed and I think of what a waste and a setback it would be to our nation to lose such a unique and vibrant city with so much history. If we actually did bulldoze it down I don't think future generations would have ever forgiven us for robbing them of a city that they'd love to visit but can only read about in the history books.

I feel the same way, and still can believe people can look at New Orleans and say "just bulldoze it." :sick:

And it amazes me sometimes how so many people just view New Orleans as a tourist destination, and forget about how much it actually means and contributes to this nation. Economically, we're talking about a port that in terms of tonnage, literally handles a full quarter of America's exports. And that New Orleans is at the center of the offshore area that produces 30% of America's oil. And in terms of history and culture, it is up there with NYC as one of the most unique and valued cities in the country.

I was in N.O. in 2001 for a conference and was very impressed with everything about the city. One of the things that I love the most about this photo spread is the diversity in architectural styles within a short distance. It shows how the city has interacted with its surroundings and the outside world.

• 1 month later...

Nice pics.

I haven't heard anybody talking about bulldozing any of the areas that were in the pictures above. Most of the bulldozing talk is about the lower 9th ward and areas below sea level. I won't comment on that since I haven't seen the area post-Katrina, and I don't live in the city.

Archived