Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skycity

Does Pittsburgh still have farm land less than 5 miles from the "Golden Triangle"?

I remember reading a promotional paragraph on a map from the 1980's that was trying to sell the new Pittsburgh (you know, we've swept the smog out of the sky and built a new city, ect). They listed facts about Pittsburgh and I remember being stunned when I read: "Pittsburgh is a city with farm land less than 5 miles from the city's heart." Is this still true?! If so, even for the late 70's early 80's that would be quite rare for such a large city to have farm land so close to it's heart. Maybe the topography has something to do with it?

I remember reading a promotional paragraph on a map from the 1980's that was trying to sell the new Pittsburgh (you know, we've swept the smog out of the sky and built a new city, ect). They listed facts about Pittsburgh and I remember being stunned when I read: "Pittsburgh is a city with farm land less than 5 miles from the city's heart." Is this still true?! If so, even for the late 70's early 80's that would be quite rare for such a large city to have farm land so close to it's heart. Maybe the topography has something to do with it?

That's weird, but we do have a farm and a vineyard in Eastern Queens here in NYC. Incredibly the vineyard produces pretty good stuff, too.

Yeah I have seen a small farm in Reserve. (Very small, but they were growing corn there). There is also a small urban farm in Stanton Heights. I am not sure if these would count. But both could be within 5 miles of downtown.

There may well be full size farms within 5 miles that I don't know of. I am sure the topography has something to do with it.