Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjcatl2

Big tenants seek Downtown space

11 posts in this topic

Sorry, but a link won't work, go to Pittsburgh Business Times - July 28 edition and you'll see it.

A number of major tenants are simultaneously searching for substantial amounts of Downtown office space, just as real estate professionals say overall interest in the business district is beginning to increase.
Here's a summary:

1) UPMC, which is looking for between 100,000 and 400,000 square feet of space - also looking to put its logo at the top of a high-profile Downtown building

2) U.S. Steel Tower, with 421,000 square feet of vacant space, is believed to be the leading contender to land UPMC, according to the sources, who are from two different real estate companies and requested anonymity because of the confidential nature of ongoing negotiations.

3) Equitable Resources is searching for 350,000 square feet of office space to accommodate its purchase of Dominion Peoples

4) Deloitte is looking for between 90-100,000 square feet either Downtown or on the North Side

5) Ariba may be considering a move

6) law firm Cohen & Grigsby PC is searching for 80,000 square feet, and

7) Cleveland-based law firm Jones Day is looking to expand from 65,000 to between 70,000 and 80,000 square feet.

8)

H.J. Heinz Co. had looked earlier this year at moving its headquarters out of 123,000 square feet of space at the U.S. Steel Tower, but real estate sources have said that search now appears to be on hold.

Hmm, I wonder why?

it would be weird to have a UPMC logo on top of the steel building. I'd always imagined PNC, Heinz, or USS would eventuly put their names up there..but UPMC would seams odd.

it would be weird to have a UPMC logo on top of the steel building. I'd always imagined PNC, Heinz, or USS would eventuly put their names up there..but UPMC would seams odd.

To me it seems like the crowing of the new King of Pittsburgh.

I have to say I would be pretty unhappy to see any logo atop the steel building. Too many logos can make the skyline look messy, and having one on the tallest building would look especially bad.

Fifth Ave place was ruined by a logo, now this... what's next PPG? Not every building was meant to have a logo. In fact most, weren't.

Fifth Ave place was ruined by a logo, now this

I couldn't disagree with you more. Before they put up that sign, 5th ave place was a boring anytown usa 80's building. The Highmark sign is very modern and bright, and the blue color tip looks way better at night than the old yellow one.

I have to agree with tooluther, I suprisingly like the Highmark sign... the blue is beautiful

I like the Highmark logo! You're right that not all buildings are meant to have logos on them... but I think the Highmark sign fits just right.

BTW for anyone who doesn't have Biz Journal access, here is the Tribune-Review article on the same subject...

Trib Article

(I think I've already added my opinions on the subject :D

2) U.S. Steel Tower, with 421,000 square feet of vacant space, is believed to be the leading contender to land UPMC, according to the sources, who are from two different real estate companies and requested anonymity because of the confidential nature of ongoing negotiations.

How does a signature building like this have so much empty space? Does anyone know what the asking rent price is?

One of the reasons is that it has a terrible floor plate. All that space may also include subleases available.