Charlotte Art Scene

Since we are on the topic of all things art in Charlotte, I just got an email mentioning The first Charlotte Literary Festival this weekend in central NoDa. In conjunction with the continual Elecfest. The event will go on all weekend and is featuring several notable authors: Omar Tyree, Patricia Gaines, among others. As well as vendors, food stalls, music and seminars by literary experts for a nominal fee.I am heartened by this effort. If sustaining an arts district in Charlotte is important to you drop by this weekend :thumbsup:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of people are disheartened by the lack of what they deem to be an adequate arts district. But instead of throwing stones at the local government (because that seems to be everyone's first resort no matter what the subject or party affiliation) I think we need to ask ourselves some pressing questions as to why the independent arts don't seem to be thriving here as they do in cities like Asheville. There has to be underlying reasons and patterns to the way Charlotteans behave that need to be addressed. I have worked with a few fringe theatres in town and many of them (well I think all of them) would regularly put on shows for as little a four audience members. Sometimes theatres have been known to play for two people and some theatres have simply not run shows on certain nights because no one at all has shown up. With some lame calculations this is what's funny about that. The Charlotte MSA is 2 million (give or take it's an easy number to calculate don't start a numbers fight) and the average fringe theatre in town is around 50 seats and does 3 performances a week for three weeks to complete its run. That means to sell out every night a fringe theatre need only get 450 people to see a show. Being artistically inclined I suck at math but I'm pretty damn sure that 450 is a miniscule percentage of 2 mil. So where does the problem lie? Advertising? Quality of Production? Location? Management? Or lame Charlotteans who sit around at RiRa complaining that the city has no independent theatre while actors wait backstage for 15 patrons to take there seats? My answer is all of the above. My point is subsidized rent shmubsidized rent, there is a lot going on that needs to be addressed and networked out and subsidizing rent may not do a whole hell of a lot on its own. Artists are creative people and with creativity anything is possible. It's just that there isn't a lot of creative thinking going on right now and when there is it seems there are fewer people volunteering for necessary leg work. This post made no sense, I'm sorry, I could write a few pages on this topic covering so many points of view but right now I feel so restricted by post length concerns.

Those of us who are concerned about the Arts in this town are not just sitting around and complaining. You need an exchange of ideas to get the ball rolling. Makecharlotteweird. com being a great example. Many Charlotteans are apathetic and the majority only seem to care about Nascar and getting their next promotion at BOFA so they can transfer to a "real city". Local government does need to be pressured to support Art on all levels in this town because people do value its importance. We need innovative programs like Artspace or similar that provide rent assistance. The meeting last week by Artspace was very well attended. Perhaps if most of the city and county were not so inclined to allow NoDa's artistic roots to die from benign neglect, there would not be so much animus.Artists may be creative but they can't sculpt or draw affordable workspace into existence. I hope The Literary Festival has strong attendance this week because perhaps it would show that some Charlotteans actually do care about culture in this town beyond black tie events Uptown.

Depending on local government will likely bring about nothing. And maybe it really isn't their job. I know the people that have complained about the withering of the art scene in NoDa like to beotch about the government, but what can they do? Charlotte does not own the galleries, the homes, the condos in the area. They have nothing to do with it. People are selling their property for what it is worth and renting it for what it is worth. You can't tell them they can't do that, but you can try and find a group, developer, arts group, or someone to create housing and gallery/studio space that is not looking for high profit.

To do this everyone interested must organize. No offense to anyone that might take it, but I always see people complaining, but never doing anything. Everyone wants to wait for someone else to take care of "it".

I can only guess why people are not going to fringe theaters. I am not a theater person myself. Maybe it is location. Maybe theaters are not providing what people want. I know it is hard to discuss because you really make artists upset by saying it, but it is a market also and if you are not producing what people want, they won't buy or won't come. If it isn't that maybe they don't know it is "out there" or available. I wonder how much better theaters would do if they were located where people live. People in Charlotte are weird about going to a part of town they don't know -- but lets say there were a theater in Dilworth -- would they likely get more patrons because they would know what was being produced or it would be easy on a Friday night? I wish our theaters were in places that already had nightlife (other than the obvious Spirit Square, etc -- they are doing fine). Something on East Blvd, or in SouthEnd, downtown other than Stonewall Street (as desolate area at night). Is the theater still open on Queens Road?

Overall I hope people just get involved and don't just talk about it at Starbucks and Caribou.

To me, the whole idea of an art scene in Charlotte is a bit of a "chicken or egg" arguement.

To support non-mainstream art productions (visual, production, otherwise) you need a large enough population that share those interests, but to attract that population, you need those amenities. I would argue that Charlotte doesn't attract many people with those interests.

I'm not a big fan of Richard Florida and his ideas about the Creative Class from an economic development standpoint, but I do think that the true "artsy" demographic (20 something without corporate ambition) has little interest in this city.

I don't think all the subsidized housing reserved for artists in the world will change that, and I don't see it as a worthwhile investment. The city will gain these amenities/people when it reaches a certain critcal mass, just as Atlanta did.

As far as what the city could do, it can promote the economic viability of being and artist in Charlotte. Host public outdoor art shows, increase the share of public art awarded to local artists as opposed to national artists, revise zoning ordinances to allow galleries and performances to occur in a wider range of categories.

Hey Now! I am a proud "20 something without corporate ambition" and I like living in Charlotte :D Granted, I flee to Asheville or Charleston many a weekend to get an artsy fix. But I don't want to move back to Charleston or move to Asheville as much as I love it up there. I like being in a larger city with more going on overall. I known Charlotte will never have the same artsy vibe of the aforementioned towns. We are very white collar and big sports oriented. That does not mean there can't be a viable artistic community though. Maybe blabbing constantly does create a bit of an echo chamber and preaching to the choir situation but its also a sign that people care. Location is very important. I agree that residents of this city identify themselves by neighborhood before they say "Charlotte resident" to each other. I am guilty of it :blush: This segmentation is self isolating and breeds unhealthy stereotypes, I rarely go beyond Dilworth-Eliz-PlazaMidwood and I know I am missing out on events in other parts of town that I think are so far away and alien. I know the new indie theatre in Ballantyne is great but I have not gone because I have a big Ballantyne mental block most days that I need to get over :lol: Maybe small visual art installations in all parts of town and groups could help. I think the Liz Ave revitalization would be a great area for increased artistic visibility in addition to The Visulite. I used to help with streetside painting and drum circles in downtown Charleston and they are all over Asheville. We are more limited in Charlotte, location wise but sidewalk art always draws attention and would fit in along Liz, Thomas and the Plaza, and NoDa. Just rambling thoughts here or "thinking outside of the box" for you corporate types :shades:

Hey voyager_12...You said that you have help with street side painting and drum circles in downtown Charleston and they are all over Asheville. AWESOME... now that is what we need. That kind of cool art action. I'm seriously thinking about starting an Outsider Artists Society in Charlotte. There is a really cool group in Atlanta called Whohadada. Whohadada Arts Group. Check it out. They are a bunch of cool cats that just want to be creative and cut through the "you know what." and just be artists. There are several art society/groups/guilds etc... here in town but they sure are all so invisible. I have been here for 20 years and I never really hear what they are doing. I'm not sure why that is. I have been moaning and groaning about this for years and frankly I am getting on my own nerves. I want to do something. I applaud the arts groups that are out there in Charlotte but I guess personally I have not seen or found super funky, cool, exciting art events like other cities have. I think it is awesome that a couple of us that seem to want to be proactive and have the same vision have found each other. I'm just throwing this out there but would any of you be interested in starting a new small grass roots local arts society? Heck, I don't have the time to do this but who does. I'm about to go nuts and need to at least try to make something happen. Just try. Let's start throwing some ideas out there of things that you guys would like to see happen in Charlotte. I'll keep a document of ideas. Then maybe let's get together, come up with a name, logo, mission statement, possible events, etc... What the heck... Any interest out there? Even if we only do one event like an auction that net proceeds go to a charity at least we can say we did something. Thoughts...

Charlotte Native, Yeah, I really think our posts are in the same line. That's why I was saying that there are so many factors that can be called into blame when it comes to lagging support for fringe theatre in Charlotte. I also think that everyone involved in many arts want to be the star and no one wants to be the grunt, but it takes all kinds eh?

Voyager, You may want to swing by SKNet Cafe on Liz on Tuesdays if your into indie films. From what I understand they put on locally produced indie films on the last two Tuesdays of the month. I've yet to get over there myself but I'm sure they're quite the mixed bag but probably a fun way to spend a Tuesday.

These are a few links also:

www.group101clt.com

www.indiefilmforce.org

www.charlottefilmfestival.org

I also think more pressure should be applied to individual developers through grass roots efforts to include discounted space to arts groups. I don't think the local government has to do it for us. Remember the government did give these groups that handy dandy tax exemption status. Which I suppose brings me to a couple of points if you'll bear with me.

1) I think the gap between existing independent arts groups and developers needs to be bridged. Typically a developer could right off any rent discount given to an arts group off as a charitable donation if I'm not mistaken. Another thing is that I think groups that aren't backed by the ASC are simply a little timid when it comes to being proactive in seeking space with developers. They immediately look at new projects like Grubb's Liz or others in NODA and PM and immediately write off the possibility as too expensive and the developers as ivory towered suits that won't care. However, we do talk sometimes on this site about how in mixed-use developments how the condos sales on floors above can pretty much cover retail space on the bottom floor, so it seems that a project as large as say Elizabeth Avenue (fully built out) could cover a spot or two on the street offered at a discount. The developer (Grubb in this case) gets a tax write off, gets to say what it did to everyone willing to listen in order to give folks warm fuzzies about their company, and in addition the discounted arts spaces help make the condos more attractive to potential buyers and help fill seats in the adjacent restaurants. I think Grubb knew that, in the very beginning I think they wanted to attract NCDT to Liz. I saw a rendering for the theatre, NCDT decided to look elsewhere but that doesn't minimize what appears to be a commitment on their behalf to arts project in the development. I doubt NCDT paid for those fancy renderings.

2) A lot of independent arts groups simply do not know what there doing in a lot of arenas. These groups are dependent entirely on volunteers. (With theatre serving as an example) they may have a talented director or actors but they may not have anyone that knows squat about real-estate, branding, marketing, website design and maintenance, or accounting. That can be a severe hindrance, remember a lot of these people probably majored in their art and avoided business classes like the plague. In a business town like Charlotte you've got to at least have people that are able to bring together these two worlds into a harmonious relationship to turn any art group into a sustainable organization.

Also get in touch with Artists Helping Artists, not sure if they have a website, but they work out of Area 15 across from Urban Stash on 15th (i think that is the cross street) off North Davidson Street. They are a grassroots group that are trying to work on some of this.

As for drum circles -- PLEASE! That used to be one of my favorite parts of gallery crawls in North Davidson (before it got its cutesy name) and at Fat City. Do them anywhere! How about an impromptu art showing and drum circle in the crappy parking lot across from Latta Pavilion in Dilworth? There is plenty of space, it is a busy corner and would get a lot of notice...

Bring the drums, etc, to the first Friday crawl on Camden Road in SouthEnd. They block off the block between Tryon and Park Ave and have skateboarders, bikes, and a big party every month. The shops and galleries are all open, there is usually a whiffle ball game in the street, there are vacant lots all over. They would gladly let anyone set up artwork if they brought it and would certainly welcome a circle.

Other than that, how about picking a night to have a circle downtown? Give notice and just start! But please let me know, I wanna be there.

Soon after I moved here I joined the local Moveon.org anti war group and we have random demonstrations and hold signs at intersections all over Charlotte every couple months. Its based on an email list. Its just an example of a very ad hoc group that manages to come together when just a few are committed. Sure lots of people stare at us or are express their opposing views rather bluntly :blush: But I bet the response from people to art would be much more positive and less life threatening :lol: If we can drag peace and hippie signs and deal with eye rolling and yells of "commies!!, Then those of us interested in community grassroots art could create something as well.

Soon after I moved here I joined the local Moveon.org anti war group and we have random demonstrations and hold signs at intersections all over Charlotte every couple months. Its based on an email list. Its just an example of a very ad hoc group that manages to come together when just a few are committed. Sure lots of people stare at us or are express their opposing views rather bluntly :blush: But I bet the response from people to art would be much more positive and less life threatening :lol: If we can drag peace and hippie signs and deal with eye rolling and yells of "commies!!, Then those of us interested in community grassroots art could create something as well.

I saw you guys on the corner of East and Kenilworth! I love what you are doing with that (I had a move.on gathering at my house in 2002) but do the same thing but with fun stuff next time -- bring on the drums!

Well Moving Poets Theatre of Dance is getting the heck out of Dodge according to today's Observer. Says Charlotte is too conservative, the ASC does not provide enough backing and city leaders only support strictly traditional art forms and don't embrace true cultural diversity. Charlotte just does not welcome progressive art. Duh. He could have read UP months ago and figured that one out. Its definitely a loss though. Surprised they lasted as long as they did to begin with.

Of course the ASC would point to "Charlotte Shout" in response. Because that's whats considered "cutting edge" and "risky" art in this town :rofl:

Archived