Norwalk

Norwalk is a nice city, has been growing pretty well in my estimation (around 84k or so now I think), and continues to boom.

1) When do you think it'll join the big 5 in the 100k+ club?

2) When do you think (if ever) it'll overtake Waterbury as the number 5 city?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norwalk is a nice city, has been growing pretty well in my estimation (around 84k or so now I think), and continues to boom.

1) When do you think it'll join the big 5 in the 100k+ club?

2) When do you think (if ever) it'll overtake Waterbury as the number 5 city?

Norwalk has not been growing that fastly, only about 7500 in the last 25 years. One of the major pressures effecting Norwalk , in my opinon, would be the construction of Rt 7 (if it ever happens) and congestion on I-95. The few times I've been down to that end of the county, Norwalk seems to have a good amount of sprawl, particularly in the Rowayton neighborhood (which is just like Darien).

Waterbury should come from the top 5 in about 15 years. The taxes in the city are astromical, keeping the real estate prices down, becuase who would want to be paying 3k a year on a $100,000 home for the 'privledge of living there'.

I think Danbury will be the in the big 5 in about 20 years. It is closer to NY than Waterbury and is showing signs that it wants to densify. Currently under construction, there is about 250-300 unit apartment complex downtown on the site of a burned down lumber yard, and a 1500 unit 'new urbanism' project on most of the former Union Carbide headquarters just south of exit 1-2 of 84. There are also proposals for a 900 unit apartment building, in 7 story buildings, about 1/3 of a mile from the other complex downtown in a rundown industrial site as well as an 18 acre 'mini- research triangle' type devolpment on the west side of town.

I just remembered the construction of 2 or 3 50 foot luxry apartment buildings overlooking Candlewood Lake. Also, there has been built at least 1000 new townhouses in about 4 or 5 complexes in the last 4 years along the Danbury-Bethel line with plenty of space for 4 or 5 more of such complexes as well as 2 90 unit ones on in the vicinty of exit 2.

Archived