Spirit Square Mixed Use Development

dubone

Well, I just realized there was no thread discussing the news that came out late last week about the county looking for developers to redevelop the block around Spirit Square.

It is hard to discern, but it almost seems like all the arts space outside of the original First Baptist church building and theater would be removed. However, it could be added back as part of the new project, with the operating costs being absorbed by the private sector. The article mentions that the county would not only get the sales proceeds, and the future tax roles, but would also no longer owe the subsidy they pay now.

The county did not pursuing a lease renewal with Blumenthal, which ends next year.

If you can get to it, here is more information.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../31/story1.html

Interestingly enough, it seems that this could be, in part, related to the ballpark-new park location-2nd Ward land swap. The reason is that the city would give up their portion of ownership of Spirit Square to the county. Who knows, maybe the county will reinvest the liquidated assets into other parks uptown, like the theoretically unfunded new park in 2nd Ward, and the unfunded park proposal in 1st Ward.

Incidentally, WFAE is putting a small studio in the building now, behind Fox & Hound.

201299193_a9ca4786b6_o.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would be great to see the awkward parking lot fronting college st disappear. I also think the brick building behind fox & Hound has some character. Seriously, just being an older 3 story brick structure adds to a downtown that is mostly new. i hope that a demo of the fox and hound building isnt in the picture though.

As an aside, I always wonder if the cosmos/museum of the new south block will be redeveloped.

As an aside, I always wonder if the cosmos/museum of the new south block will be redeveloped.

I hope not. That block adds a lot of character and is very walkable. Imagine if the blocks to the north and east are developed with mid to high-rise buildings. It would make for a very dramatic streetscape as you walked between the cultural institutions, bars, and restaurants.

I am pretty confident that neither the Fox and Hound building nor the the cosmos block will be redeveloped. Both are filled with successful businesses and old buildings most people want to keep around. I'm not sure what old brick building is behind F&H. I think it is the stucco Spirit Square building pictured above that is directly behind F&H.

Archived