1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Charlie Crist (R)
    • Tom Gallagher (R)
    • Rod Smith (D)
    • Jim Davis (D)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still wish Scott was in. He'd stand a better chance than the two we have.

If Scott Maddox were a 3rd Democratic Candidate, he would be in 3rd place. He made the right move of getting out.

Should've added "Other" as an option.

Sorry, I was just considering candidates who have a chance. But I guess I should have thrown it in anyway. Go ahead and just post who you would have voted for then.

Just curious GG, why'd you do two separate polls for Orlando and Tally? Would it not have been more accurate to do a poll in the All Florida topic threads? Or did you want to see how Orlando would vote and then how Tally would vote individually?

Just curious GG, why'd you do two separate polls for Orlando and Tally? Would it not have been more accurate to do a poll in the All Florida topic threads? Or did you want to see how Orlando would vote and then how Tally would vote individually?

Thanks for this poll and the others here. It gives me a good picture of both the total size and a bit of an idea of the intellectual abilities of the group. Of course, in my world view, the smart people are the ones who agree with me.

The telephone push polls are coming fast and furrious. I've been talked to about governor canidates, CFO canidates, 3 different county commission candidates and one that was a generalized Democrats are evil push poll.

They all seem to go about the same way. They ask a couple of softball questions and then go into "so, do you think {insert name of favorite candidate here) is more in favor of killing baby bunnies or totally screwing up our country/state/county?

To me, push polls cross the ethical line from persuasion to manipulation and getting a push poll that is biased against a candiadate gives him/her a good chance of getting my vote. If I can figure out who the push poll is in support of, he/she will never get my vote.

Once upon a time, the League of Women Voters worked to stop crap like this. Today they seem to be nothing more than an advocacy group for the two dominate parties.

If Scott Maddox were a 3rd Democratic Candidate, he would be in 3rd place. He made the right move of getting out.

I'm not sure I agree w/ 3rd place. I think Scott Maddox is probably more popular around the state than either of the two candidates leading on the Democrat side. Its hard for me to choose one in your poll because I know absolutely NOTHING about either one. They both seem like your typical stomp speech politicians, well at least that Smith guy does. He might not get my vote, but we'll see how the other guy does with his commercials.

Is it just me, or does Smith's commercials sound alot like old GEICO commercials.

^ Yeah TJ I agree w/you about the Smith commercials. I was not very impressed w/them at all. However these TV ads will be less effective this year IMO b/c many folks like me now have TiVo or a DVR. I never watch commercials now since I got a DVR. I was out of town this weekend (w/out my beloved DVR) and finally saw the TV ads for the 2 Republicans and Smith. I have yet to see a Davis ad air yet.

Question: I have heard or read this a few times and I can't remember where. Is it true or not that Crist has NEVER owned a home in FL or owned a business thus he's never paid any type of property or business taxes to the State. I do find that hard to believe since he's lived in FL for so long. However if that's true, I'd find it difficult to vote for a man that's never "paid into the system" like myself and millions of others.

So can anyone debunk that info. I've read about Crist? I'm not looking for debate just education and IF it is true, would that fact sway your vote for someone regardless of who it is??

^ Yeah TJ I agree w/you about the Smith commercials. I was not very impressed w/them at all. However these TV ads will be less effective this year IMO b/c many folks like me now have TiVo or a DVR. I never watch commercials now since I got a DVR. I was out of town this weekend (w/out my beloved DVR) and finally saw the TV ads for the 2 Republicans and Smith. I have yet to see a Davis ad air yet.

Question: I have heard or read this a few times and I can't remember where. Is it true or not that Crist has NEVER owned a home in FL or owned a business thus he's never paid any type of property or business taxes to the State. I do find that hard to believe since he's lived in FL for so long. However if that's true, I'd find it difficult to vote for a man that's never "paid into the system" like myself and millions of others.

So can anyone debunk that info. I've read about Crist? I'm not looking for debate just education and IF it is true, would that fact sway your vote for someone regardless of who it is??

On the good side, Chain Gang Charlie, while not as some report, a closet liberal, seems to be at least open to "alternative" views. He's polite, personable and has a great tan.

I don't care a fig if he's gay, bisexual or likes blow-up dolls that look like 3CPO. Crist's sexual preferences are no more my business than Clinton's cigar fetish. I am, however, disturbed that according to some press reports, Charlie and our favorite Republican icon, Katy Harris, used to date. That, in my very humble opinion, makes me worry about his decision making abilities. I'd feel better about him if he were dating Jeff Gannon.

Yes, looking back, putting this poll as 1 in the Florida Section would have been much smarter lol. :) However, I do get more of an idea of geographical preferences by doing it this way.

I'm also interested in the CLAIM that Crist has no wife or kids? Is this also true? Does this hurt his chances as a republican candidate, having no credibility on "Family Issues"?

Yea, its true, but does it really mean anything?

Charlie is considerable ahead of anyone in the polls, primary and general. Dont by into TG's family values speeches. He is 62 now, and a PLAYBOY until he was 55 or so. He found a wife (who is a great lady, that he doesnt really deserve) and a kid, and is all of a sudden a conservative after a lengthy liberal record. May I also point out that he switched parties about time the Republicans took control over Florida government.

I'm not sure I agree w/ 3rd place. I think Scott Maddox is probably more popular around the state than either of the two candidates leading on the Democrat side.

Maybe, but Maddox went out with way to much negative press. 527's would have killed him.

Is it just me, or does Smith's commercials sound alot like old GEICO commercials.

Smiths commercials are TERRIBLE. But I know him personally, and he is a great guy. Im a Republican, so Im not voting for him (and he understands and respects that), but for all you Democrats out there, I would HIGHLY reccommend you consider him voer Jim Davis. Take it for whats its worth.

Education-

Crist rents a 1-Bedroom apartment in Clearwater Beach and has NEVER owned property.

He's also been divorced for about 16 years and has no kids.

Thanks for that education Toad305. I knew he had been married once (briefly I think) and has no kids. That fact really doesn't bother me, but what does bother the heck out of me is that he has NEVER owned property in FL nor a business. As someone who owns property in FL and a biz plus my entire adult family each owns at least one piece of property and another business, I just find that fact despicable and horrible. I know you pay some taxes w/your rent money, but it just ain't the same. It seems as if he's only taking from the "machine that is FL" and not putting into it. But by the looks of our poll, it seems I'm the only one bothered by that fact. :(

TG is a joke w/his big switheroo, but I don't think he was ever a liberal, just a moderate. I also liked him much better as a pot-smoking playboy.

As for Smith, he's too much like a Dixiecrat to me, I prefer a progressive 4th generation Floridian land-owner who takes personal ownership in our State.

So the fact that he doesnt own a business makes him unqualified?? :blink:

No the fact he owns no property in FL after all these years or if not that at least own a biz and pay mega taxes makes him not a good CHOICE for Gov. IMO b/c has no "ownership" in the system he wants to lead.

No the fact he owns no property in FL after all these years or if not that at least own a biz and pay mega taxes makes him not a good CHOICE for Gov. IMO b/c has no "ownership" in the system he wants to lead.

I agree Poonther. I think anyone who'll be in charge of managing the money of the state ought to have a substantial amount of their own in the pot.

I think his family is also an issue, because the republicans have made it an issue for just about every other election since W Bush wasselected president. Now that it seems their potential candidate may not be as strong in that category they want to not make it an issue. I want it to be an issue.

And as far as this Smith guy goes. Right now I think he's a freak, just because of his retarded commercials. Until I see something drastically better I'm in favor of the other Fella. And I guess I'll vote in your poll now.

I agree Poonther. I think anyone who'll be in charge of managing the money of the state ought to have a substantial amount of their own in the pot.

I think his family is also an issue, because the republicans have made it an issue for just about every other election since W Bush wasselected president.

And I guess I'll vote in your poll now.

Just because you dont personally own land doesnt make you a nonsubstantial contributor. Condo owners pay taxes just like people who live on owned land. And if we dont like that, we certainly wouldnt like all the people who we hope to move in to all our condo projects downtown would we? And another example, if you think every representative should have interests within their district, then what is your opinion about Commissioner Proctor, or anyone else on the Commission who doesnt live in their district.

I dont care if they personally have a family. I dont think you should rush in to a family around election time when you used to be a playboy like a different candidate did. What is important is that you support the traditional marraige.

Thanks for deciding to grace the poll. :thumbsup:

Does Crist own a condo? If so he owns property and this whole argument about him not having money in the pot is pointless.

I'm not in favor of someone representing a district they don't come from.

Exactly TJ. Owning a condo = Owning property/land, but based on what Toad305 said that isn't the case w/Crist.

Charlie rents a 1-bedroom highrise condo for $1200/month on clearwater beach. assuming the condo fees are around $200-$300/month his landlord is charging clearing $900.

Wow Toad you know your stuff, however is the landlord really clearing (pocketing) $900 if he still has a mortgage on the place?

Also surely Crist rents a place in Tally too?

Also surely Crist rents a place in Tally too?

Yes he does rent in Tally too.

Not real undercover stuff. Yuo can find it in any anti-Crist (not Christ lol) or Democratic blog/website.

Ill do some research on how much taxes condo owners pay in relationship to home owners. Ill bet its not far off if it is at all.

However, I would rather have a condo owner than a Rep. who is ranked #414 out of 435 on missed votes in Congress. Also, in his tenure, he is responsible for two pieces of passed legislation. #1, a proclomation congratulating the Buccaneers, #2? You guessed it. A proclomation congratulating the Tampa Bay Lightning on winning the Stanley Cup.

Anyway, TJ, about what you said earlier regarding who you liked based on TV ads. Please dont base a candidates potential on that (and I mean that seriously, not in a mean or sarcastic way). If you dig in and research policy and issue stances, I think you will find Jim Davis really doesnt have much to offer.

Poonther, I dont think Smith is to Dixiecrat. He is in a commanding lead in South Florida, and Dixiecrats dont fly in South Fla.

Sorry about my rant. Im passionate about this stuff. :)

Archived