1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Charlie Crist (R)
    • Tom Gallagher (R)
    • Rod Smith (D)
    • Jim Davis (D)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no on that amendment too. I didn't think they clearly stated in the text of the amendment exactly where the funding is coming from. I think it even used the words "More than Likely" (More than likely from the tobacco settlement).

I'm sort of said that Davis lost, but Crist doesn't seem to be too bad of a Republican.

This might stir some flames here, but I was quite happy to see the Eniment Domain amendment on the ballot. I think business screws around in govt too much as it is.

Edited to add: I have always been wary of most amendments now a days after seeing people in from of the local malls and FSU campus pushing people to sign the amendment. I think it is sick that they pay people per signature to do that. :(

Unfortunately, we always get these other "feelgood" amendments thrown in the mix. What's next, an amendment that says we shouldn't kick puppies? Heck, let's just quadruple the homestead exemptions for anyone who was an eagle scout. And, let's offer up septuple homestead exemptions to any senior who lives north of Tennessee and wants to live permanently in Florida. I mean, after all, they're old, so we should all help pay their way to live in our fair state. Maybe we could use lottery and tobacco money to offset the cost. Uh oh . . . . . wait a sec . . . . . . :angry:

Sheeeeeesh!

I'd love to rant more, but I have to get ready for work. Maybe I'll do some more later.

I'm always amused at the post-election comments of some people. I know Jim personally (he's family of my wife), so I'm obviously biased, but I've never known him to actually be "bitter" about anything.

However, I'm also amused at how the losers in these elections are also supposed to just suddenly smile and act as if their opponents ideas aren't so bad after all. One can be a gracious loser without having to give up his core beliefs. There is no doubt that Davis would have had a tough time taking some of his ideas to fruition, but he was passionate about them and still believes in them. In the same vein, Crist will have a very difficult time getting his plans pushed through, especially now that his party can't bully bills through the legislature without garnering at least some real support from Democrats. I hope he can do it, because it will be good for the state.

=====================

Now to the topic of amendments. First of, all I've long been an opponent of having so many ridiculous ideas that somehow get passed and clutter up our state constitution. The problem is - there are always exceptions. *IF* there had been an amendment to demand that the lottery dollars would only SUPPLEMENT the education budget, then maybe our state's schools would be in better shape. Instead, the promise of not taking money out of education turned out to be a farce, as more and more lottery money just replaced dollars that were being moved elsewhere. What a crock. At least now that won't happen with the tobacco settlement money (I think . . . . I hope . . . maybe??).

Unfortunately, we always get these other "feelgood" amendments thrown in the mix. What's next, an amendment that says we shouldn't kick puppies? Heck, let's just quadruple the homestead exemptions for anyone who was an eagle scout. And, let's offer up septuple homestead exemptions to any senior who lives north of Tennessee and wants to live permanently in Florida. I mean, after all, they're old, so we should all help pay their way to live in our fair state. Maybe we could use lottery and tobacco money to offset the cost. Uh oh . . . . . wait a sec . . . . . . :angry:

Sheeeeeesh!

I'd love to rant more, but I have to get ready for work. Maybe I'll do some more later.

Mike

--

p.s.

I voted for Amendment 3, but it's quite ironic that IT didn't get 60% of the vote.

I said no to Ammedment 3 because I think teaching youngester not to smoke is responsible of the parents. The 56 millions can be used somewhere else. Not really useful to spend that kind of money to teach them not to smoke when the media did the opposite.

We will never reach our full potential as a State as long as we given into every whim that the AARP wants for seniors. We should concentrate more on those that will be in our State longer than 15 years...mainly education both secondary and universities. This will bolster us up as a real business player in this union. While there is definitely a place for Senior's rights at our table, this should not be our main force of our economic engine.

Archived