2006 Governors Race  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Charlie Crist (R)
    • Tom Gallagher (R)
    • Rod Smith (D)
    • Jim Davis (D)

poonther,

i stated my post incorrectly last time...

i have no idea if he is clearing anything... all i know is that he is basically charging crist somewhere around 900-1,000 bucks considering there has to be a condo fee of a few hundred dollars....

this is all public info.. just google it.

it is strange that his landlord only wants a grand for a unit where i'm assuming they rent for close to 2 g's on the open market...

By AARON SHAROCKMAN

Published March 15, 2006

ST. PETERSBURG - Charlie Crist's landlord has paid $4,324 in fines, back taxes and interest for improperly claiming a homestead exemption on a condominium he rented to the attorney general and candidate for governor, the Pinellas County Property Appraiser's Office said Tuesday.

Lawrence Compton, a 65-year-old retired accountant, illegally claimed a $25,000 homestead exemption on a condo he has rented to Crist for more than three years, said Daryl May, the property appraiser's director of investigations. State law says a homeowner who claims the exemption must live on the property unless he or she is on military duty.

Yet Crist has paid $1,265 a month to rent the 22nd-floor, 1,200-square-foot condo at Bayshore Towers in St. Petersburg. In 38 months, while Compton received the homestead exemption, he also collected $48,070 in rent.

When asked "Was this property rented?" Compton circled "no" on a July 2005 property appraiser's questionnaire.

The discrepancy was revealed by the St. Petersburg Times last month during a routine check of Crist's personal finances. Crist said then he did not know his landlord, a small campaign contributor, was claiming the tax break

"Could he not do that?" Crist asked.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look up the canditates and I voted for Jim Davis. He seems to fit my political beliefs the best. I am a middle of the road democrat and some of the issues that I disagree on with the democratic party he seems to feel the same way I do(for example the partial birth abortion issue).

Ironically, out of the Republican's I was very much impressed with Charlie Crist's stance on issues. I might disagree with his views but he doesn't seem to promise more than what a governor can do (like I found on Tom Gallager's and Rod Smith's site). I really don't care what a polition does in their personal life (though I was dubious about his whole not owning land in Florida thing, but then I don't own land in Florida either). Just as long as they do thier job well.

The only thing I don't like about the republican canditates is the fact that they are trying to run on "Jeb's Legacy." I hated when the democrats did it after Chiles left office (I think that is why they lost). I want my leaders to lead, not follow. :)

(forgive my spelling errors!)

[quote name='DaiDreamer5' date='Aug 4 2006, 12:59 PM' post='515990'

The only thing I don't like about the republican canditates is the fact that they are trying to run on "Jeb's Legacy." I hated when the democrats did it after Chiles left office (I think that is why they lost). I want my leaders to lead, not follow. :)

(forgive my spelling errors!)

I loathe loathe loathe the Rod Smith's airport/insurance commercial. It just creeps me out. Nothing against Smith personally at all. The man should have fired whoever made those ads. The whole time the ad is running, I just keep watching his hair flapping in the wind. I keep watching them thinking maybe one time he'll get too close to one of those helicopter blades and get a nice buzz cut. Now that would win my vote! :P

Where's Smith coming from and where's he going on that bus? He does seem to be in a hurry, damn those reporters.

I loathe loathe loathe the Rod Smith's airport/insurance commercial. It just creeps me out. Nothing against Smith personally at all. The man should have fired whoever made those ads. The whole time the ad is running, I just keep watching his hair flapping in the wind. I keep watching them thinking maybe one time he'll get too close to one of those helicopter blades and get a nice buzz cut. Now that would win my vote! :P

Where's Smith coming from and where's he going on that bus? He does seem to be in a hurry, damn those reporters.

Funny you should say that, but Smith did "fire" that ad firm and is onboard with a new firm. They were pretty horrendous ads. I get the idea theyre going for, but HORRIBLE execution. New firm now, look for his next ad early-mid next week.

^Great!

And like Poonther, a little comedy with the fan blade of the helicopter would have won my vote. It would have been funny if it caught his shirt and flung him in the air to the next city! Even a stupid blow up doll with clothes on would have been funny. He would have had my vote right away.

GG, are you his camp. manager?

Much, much better! More of this and I might actually change my mind. Jim Davis has a pretty good commercial running too. I like the Bob Graham endorcement with the Tallahassee Democrat quote at the end.

This is going to be tough. I'm honestly a swing voter right now. This is a first!

Much, much better! More of this and I might actually change my mind. Jim Davis has a pretty good commercial running too. I like the Bob Graham endorcement with the Tallahassee Democrat quote at the end.

This is going to be tough. I'm honestly a swing voter right now. This is a first!

NO!!!!!!!!!! lol

I am very much Republican, and backing Crist in this race.

These are still creepy ads IMHO. Still needs a lot of work. Not to mention the ad is ENTIRELY misleading. Smith is preying on the people that no very little about Stem Cell Research. What Bush vetoed is using federal tax dollars to fund EMBRYONIC Stem Cell Research. Adult Stem Cell Research is still being funded. Of course, that would weaken his argument, wouldnt it?

Anyway, this far into the race, "much better" isnt going to cut it. You have to be in full stride now. Davis has only released one commercial. He really isnt polling that well outside of the Bay area. We'll see what happens. These next few weeks are going to be Stress City, USA for me haha. :blink:

Good Lord TJ,that's like asking Bobby Bowden is he the coach for UF Gators. :huh:

I do like that ad much better b/c his hair isn't flappin' in the wind.

GG when we discussed Mayernick's ad and his target market, the uneducated voter, you said the offensive nature was good b/c that's what they would remember. Can't the same be said for Stem Cell Research in an ad? In essence just saying the name Stem Cell Research is a "touch point" that many will remember and many are for. So I thought this too like all good political commercials played to the ignorant!

Besides it's way better to burn up those embryonic stem cells than it is to use them in research to save lives.

I'll be willing to wager that Davis will take Democratic South FL no matter what the polls say and I'd think having Graham in his commercials would help down there too.

Good Lord TJ,that's like asking Bobby Bowden is he the coach for UF Gators. :huh:

I do like that ad much better b/c his hair isn't flappin' in the wind.

GG when we discussed Mayernick's ad and his target market, the uneducated voter, you said the offensive nature was good b/c that's what they would remember. Can't the same be said for Stem Cell Research in an ad? In essence just saying the name Stem Cell Research is a "touch point" that many will remember and many are for. So I thought this too like all good political commercials played to the ignorant!

Besides it's way better to burn up those embryonic stem cells than it is to use them in research to save lives.

I'll be willing to wager that Davis will take Democratic South FL no matter what the polls say and I'd think having Graham in his commercials would help down there too.

Well, remember, not necessarily just the uneducated voter, but the uninformed. The difference being that there are educated people that just dont care about politics at all.

But as far as the content, you are correct. Regardless of what people know about the logistics of Stem Cell and the legislation that has gone through Congress, if they are for it, all they are going to remember come Sept. 5 is that Bush vetoed it, and Bush is Republican, so ALL Republicans must be against it. Thats far from the truth. I cant recall the vote count off the top of my head, but I know there are many R's who are very much for it.

You may be surprised about South Florida. Smith is VERY well liked down there, and a lot of their Congressional Heros (both State and US) down there are endorsing Smith. Its like when JEB endorses someone, a lot of people will vote for that person will vote for them regardless, because JEB said so. (See Villalobos/Blonao (state senate) race in South Florida, and King/Terry (state senate) race in Jacksonville).

Im glad yall are interested in something I can actually contribute to in this "urban" world. lol

Also, can all the people who voted for Gallagher in this poll give me the reason(s) that you choose him instead of Crist (or vice versa). Just for my own curiosity, no negative motives at all. I have great respect for Tom Gallagher.

i picked Gallagher for this among other reasons, it took Charlie THREE times to pass the bar exam... and as an attorney, that is just sorry... plus his skin is a creepy orange color and he seems to be completely insincere. way for a poli-sci guy to base his decision on the issues! :P

The best thing about Charlie is that he is a good listener. He may not agree with you, but he'll give you a listen, ask good questions, and sometimes act on what you bring him. He's not an idealogue. He's a nice enough guy, but yeah, the tan from a bottle is a bit weird. Fortunately, I don't base my vote on tanning behavior and it's unlikely that we'll be going to the beach together.

I'm not concerned about the bar exam. A lot of people have trouble with our bar. It's one of the most difficult in the country. I am not choosing him to prosecute a civil suite for me or defend me in one. I could care less. He's at least as smart as Jeb. I don't agree with him on a lot of his issues, but he and I agree on more than Gallager and I do. I will support him in the primary and have sent money his way. As far as the general election goes, we'll see. I don't know much about the Dem's yet and I'm not impressed by party affiliation. I have taken notice that Senator Graham is supporting Davis, and Graham is a smart guy.

i picked Gallagher for this among other reasons, it took Charlie THREE times to pass the bar exam... and as an attorney, that is just sorry... plus his skin is a creepy orange color and he seems to be completely insincere. way for a poli-sci guy to base his decision on the issues! :P

I am ROFL :rofl: at that Monti. I too find myself being that way. No matter much I educate myself on a candidate and no matter how well informed I am, I sometimes revert back to something silly and primal as what they look like or how they handle themselves. Is it wrong and stupid? YES, but sometimes I just can't get past it.

My example would be Mayernick, you guys know what I said about him the first time I saw his website. Then I forgot about it until I saw him on TV and the first thing that came into my mind was, man that guy looks uptight...like he's just uncomfortable in his own skin. I don't know why I think that way and I know I should not, but damn it I just do.

Ghost I'm a huge fan of B. Graham's. I think he was one of our better Governors since WWII. Now I know you guys will point out all sorts of stuff to tell why I'm wrong about that, but I don't care, I liked the guy and I'm old enough REMEMBER him as Gov., not just what I read about it .

I am ROFL :rofl: at that Monti. I too find myself being that way. No matter much I educate myself on a candidate and no matter how well informed I am, I sometimes revert back to something silly and primal as what they look like or how they handle themselves. Is it wrong and stupid? YES, but sometimes I just can't get past it.

My example would be Mayernick, you guys know what I said about him the first time I saw his website. Then I forgot about it until I saw him on TV and the first thing that came into my mind was, man that guy looks uptight...like he's just uncomfortable in his own skin. I don't know why I think that way and I know I should not, but damn it I just do.

Ghost I'm a huge fan of B. Graham's. I think he was one of our better Governors since WWII. Now I know you guys will point out all sorts of stuff to tell why I'm wrong about that, but I don't care, I liked the guy and I'm old enough REMEMBER him as Gov., not just what I read about it .

Yeah. He's a nice guy and smart. When he first ran, I was a little concerned being from a big dairy family down south and all, but he has been a credit to the state. He's a genuine nice guy, a gentleman, and someone who I'd go fishing with, which in my world, is high praise.

You may be surprised about South Florida. Smith is VERY well liked down there, and a lot of their Congressional Heros (both State and US) down there are endorsing Smith. Its like when JEB endorses someone, a lot of people will vote for that person will vote for them regardless, because JEB said so. (See Villalobos/Blonao (state senate) race in South Florida, and King/Terry (state senate) race in Jacksonville).

Looky looky our poll is now tied between Crist and Davis!

Tell me if you know GG, who is pushing Smith in Dade, Broward and PB? Surely not Wexler? Or Wasserman-Schultz?

Do you know who Nan Rich, Gwen Margolis and Ron Klein are backing? Man that sounds like the Jewish mafia. :)

And while you are at it: Skip Campbell or Mandy Dawson where are they throwing their weight if anywhere?

Who is JEB! supporting? I thought House of Wolves (Villalobos) fell out of favor w/the Bushes.

Want to bet on who takes the Dem. primary in PB, Broward and Dade? I know Davis will take PB and Broward. Dade's always the hardest to predict.

And finally which Dem. is leading in the polls in Leon?

Looky looky our poll is now tied between Crist and Davis!

Tell me if you know GG, who is pushing Smith in Dade, Broward and PB? Surely not Wexler? Or Wasserman-Schultz?

Do you know who Nan Rich, Gwen Margolis and Ron Klein are backing? Man that sounds like the Jewish mafia. :)

And while you are at it: Skip Campbell or Mandy Dawson where are they throwing their weight if anywhere?

Who is JEB! supporting? I thought House of Wolves (Villalobos) fell out of favor w/the Bushes.

Want to bet on who takes the Dem. primary in PB, Broward and Dade? I know Davis will take PB and Broward. Dade's always the hardest to predict.

And finally which Dem. is leading in the polls in Leon?

I know, Im actually surprised the Republican candidates polled as well as they did here. Exactly what I expected to happen in Orlando, happened. But this was a surprise.

Oh gese, now I have to dig into the ole' memory to see if I remember whos endorsing who. lol

So Ill just go down your list of questions...

1.) I know for sure Kendrick Meek is very much behind Smith, and he is adored in S. Florida. I know for sure that Wasserman Schultz (if you dont have fun saying that name, something is wrong :silly: ) is backing Davis, and I would assume Wexler is too. (ON a side note, did you see Wexler on the Colbert Report on the "Better Know a District?" Absolutely hilarious. Go to Comedy Central and find Colbert's section and watch the interview. Its worth it).

2.) Rich and Margolis are backing Smith, and I dont know for sure about Klein. Since he is in a race himself, I would have told him to steer clear of making any endorsements. Pretty much the whole Senate Democratic Caucus is backing Smith, and many State Reps too.

3.) Dawson is backing Smith. Campbell, I would assume Smith, they are big buddies. But I would say the same thing that I said about Klein applies to Campbell. The only thing good about Campbell, is that hes a Gator. lol :thumbsup:

4.) JEB is supporting Bolanos. Your right "Dema"lobos (as he has become known) very much fell out of favor with Bush, and the rest of Republican leadership. Needless to say, Villalobos will not be serving as the Senate President.

5.) I never make bets on elections. ESPECIALLY in Florida lol. And as far as the Leon polls, let me get back to you on that. I actually havent seen one recently from Leon.

Archived