Go Gators

2006 Governors Race  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Charlie Crist (R)
    • Tom Gallagher (R)
    • Rod Smith (D)
    • Jim Davis (D)

I know, Im actually surprised the Republican candidates polled as well as they did here. Exactly what I expected to happen in Orlando, happened. But this was a surprise.

Oh gese, now I have to dig into the ole' memory to see if I remember whos endorsing who. lol

So Ill just go down your list of questions...

1.) I know for sure Kendrick Meek is very much behind Smith, and he is adored in S. Florida. I know for sure that Wasserman Schultz (if you dont have fun saying that name, something is wrong :silly: ) is backing Davis, and I would assume Wexler is too. (ON a side note, did you see Wexler on the Colbert Report on the "Better Know a District?" Absolutely hilarious. Go to Comedy Central and find Colbert's section and watch the interview. Its worth it).

2.) Rich and Margolis are backing Smith, and I dont know for sure about Klein. Since he is in a race himself, I would have told him to steer clear of making any endorsements. Pretty much the whole Senate Democratic Caucus is backing Smith, and many State Reps too.

3.) Dawson is backing Smith. Campbell, I would assume Smith, they are big buddies. But I would say the same thing that I said about Klein applies to Campbell. The only thing good about Campbell, is that hes a Gator. lol :thumbsup:

4.) JEB is supporting Bolanos. Your right "Dema"lobos (as he has become known) very much fell out of favor with Bush, and the rest of Republican leadership. Needless to say, Villalobos will not be serving as the Senate President.

5.) I never make bets on elections. ESPECIALLY in Florida lol. And as far as the Leon polls, let me get back to you on that. I actually havent seen one recently from Leon.

GG thanks for that detailed reply!

You are right Meek is adored in South FL in certain groups and more in Dade and parts of Broward than in PBC.

I saw Wexler on Colbert, funny stuff. Isn't Wexler now doing a show or documentary for HBO? I think he'd rather be an actor than a politician...wait it's really all acting isn't it? :D

Very surprised that Rich, Margolis and Klein are backing Smith, I guess they know him better than Davis since they served at the same times.

No surprises about Dawson and Campbell support. I like all about Campbell except that he's a gator!

Maybe Villalobos will have to live on some secluded island w/ole Katie Harris....the red headed step children of the Rep. party.

Article in the Tally Democrat today says that an arm of AI did a poll and Smith and Davis are virtually tied in the race right now, w/60% undecided. Good thing Smith changed his retarded (as TJ has called them) commercials.

If you find out anything about Leon polls, please let me know. I googled and found really nothing.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been a conservative Republican since before I was eligible to vote. I have to admit though that I've "centered" a bit the last five or six years.

Now -- enter this year's gubernatorial race.

My parents just moved from Tampa in the last year, but they are quite conservative and had mostly good things to say about Davis.

Now -- enter my wife's family.

My wife is one of six kids. Her mom is one of ten. Every Thanksgiving they have a family reunion at someone's house in the southeastern U.S. About twelve years ago I met (now follow this) my wife's 1st cousin's husband - Jim Davis. Nicest guy you'd ever meet - sincere, humble and smart. I think he was in the state house at the time, and ended up mentoring a good friend of mine who was a freshman rep at the time (Joe Tedder - who is now tax collector for Polk County). Joe became a huge Jim Davis fan as they worked together on legislation from time to time.

So here's my dilemma. Based purely on politics, I'd probably agree with more of Crist's views, but not by much. The "personal" view of Crist is different, but (as I'm sure you'd understand), I'd rather not discuss them publically. In addition to that, my father-in-law worked in the AG's office, and does not exactly give Crist a sparkling endorsement.

However, my personal views on Davis are nothing but positive, and I do agree with him on a fair number of issues.

So - for me - which way do I go?

Jim Davis in '06.

Sigh. I may have to pull a Lieberman and become an independent! :)

Mike

--

I've been a conservative Republican since before I was eligible to vote. I have to admit though that I've "centered" a bit the last five or six years.

My parents just moved from Tampa in the last year, but they are quite conservative and had mostly good things to say about Davis.

My wife is one of six kids. Her mom is one of ten. Every Thanksgiving they have a family reunion at someone's house in the southeastern U.S. About twelve years ago I met (now follow this) my wife's 1st cousin's husband - Jim Davis. Nicest guy you'd ever meet - sincere, humble and smart. I think he was in the state house at the time, and ended up mentoring a good friend of mine who was a freshman rep at the time (Joe Tedder - who is now tax collector for Polk County). Joe became a huge Jim Davis fan as they worked together on legislation from time to time.

So here's my dilemma. Based purely on politics, I'd probably agree with more of Crist's views, but not by much. The "personal" view of Crist is different, but (as I'm sure you'd understand), I'd rather not discuss them publically. In addition to that, my father-in-law worked in the AG's office, and does not exactly give Crist a sparkling endorsement.

However, my personal views on Davis are nothing but positive, and I do agree with him on a fair number of issues.

Jim Davis in '06.

Mike

--

sighs :unsure: I always figured you were a Republican...lol j/k

Jim Davis in '06.

Mike

--

Mike,

I often agree with your posts and my thinking somewhat follows you here. A conservative, but much harder to pin down (more centered) as I get older. Right now I am considering Davis, Smith, and Crist. I differ a bit because I am leaning towards Crist but I could be swayed one way or the other. I really need to hear more about there positions, but I am much less sure than I normally am.

I do agree with others that Smith makes horrible commercials, but I won't hold that against him very much. Same with Crist not owning land or being married. I could care less.

With local elections, I am ALL about the newbie though for most positions. I am not a fan of many of the incombants in Tally. I am pretty sure about that.

If I owned stock in a company (State of FL,) I'd definitely want the CEO of the company (Gov.) to own some stock also.

Yea, but wouldnt you also want your CEO to actually show up at meetings to vote on company issues? (i.e. Davis' 414th ranking of 435 Congressman on missed votes, and the worst attendance in the state of Florida on votes)

Yea, but wouldnt you also want your CEO to actually show up at meetings to vote on company issues? (i.e. Davis' 414th ranking of 435 Congressman on missed votes, and the worst attendance in the state of Florida on votes)

You "dance" on that one GG as much as I "dance" on the ownership thing. :)

Yes I would I want him to show up, you are correct, but if I had to pick between the two evils, I'd want him to actually own stock otherwise he has no business leading the meetings.

If I owned stock in a company (State of FL,) I'd definitely want the CEO of the company (Gov.) to own some stock also.

poonther,

Used to be that you could only vote in the US if you owned land also.

This is as big of a non factor as his tan. I would rather judge a candidate by his position and how he deals with people.

You "dance" on that one GG as much as I "dance" on the ownership thing. :)

Yes I would I want him to show up, you are correct, but if I had to pick between the two evils, I'd want him to actually own stock otherwise he has no business leading the meetings.

So what youre saying, is that you hope CEO Davis picks a good VP of Operations (LG running mate), if he wins the primary, er I mean approval of Stock Holders, right? ;)

poonther,

Used to be that you could only vote in the US if you owned land also.

This is as big of a non factor as his tan. I would rather judge a candidate by his position and how he deals with people.

I was wondering when someone was going to bring that up. I forget, was land ownership really a requirement for voting in the USA or was that just a British thing? To me ownership just shows he has stake in State and investment in the State and it helps me relate to him better. It's not about the gentry thing.

For you it's a non-factor, for me it's a deal breaker. Just like for some of you, if CC was really gay (I ain't saying he is at all) would be a non-factor for me, but for many of you it might be a deal breaker. We all have our certain sticking points.

I actually think it's cool that the Gov. of the SUNSHINE STATE would have a great tan. What better way to advertise the warmth and sunshine of the state.

So what youre saying, is that you hope CEO Davis picks a good VP of Operations (LG running mate), if he wins the primary, er I mean approval of Stock Holders, right? ;)

Well that would help just as if CC wins, I hope he picks a VP of Ops that owns stock in the company.

Question: Do more states let the Gov. appoint their LG's (like FL) or do they elect them (like AL and GA?)

Which system to you think works better?

I'd be more inclined to say we should elect a LG based simply on it gives the people more control and if you have a Gov and LG from different parties it does help w/the checks and balances thing. Of course that could also bog the whole system down too. Or does it simply not matter in FL b/c the LG has such limited powers. Thoughts?

Well that would help just as if CC wins, I hope he picks a VP of Ops that owns stock in the company.

Question: Do more states let the Gov. appoint their LG's (like FL) or do they elect them (like AL and GA?)

Which system to you think works better?

I'd be more inclined to say we should elect a LG based simply on it gives the people more control and if you have a Gov and LG from different parties it does help w/the checks and balances thing. Of course that could also bog the whole system down too. Or does it simply not matter in FL b/c the LG has such limited powers. Thoughts?

If it is a Crist/Bense ticket, the election will be in the bag.

I dont think it really matters, LG is largely ceremonial. They will occasionally head commissions (such as the insurance committee that Jennings is heading now). But mostly are photo-ops, ribbon cuttings, state tours, etc.

If it is a Crist/Bense ticket, the election will be in the bag.

Funny you should bring that up.

I'd actually prefer that flipped. I also own property in Bense's home county, Bay, and I know as Gov. he'd be inclined to really look out for the best interest in his own backyard and maybe send some "rewards" their way. I'd also prefer the non-land owning tan man as the photo-op guy.

Funny you should bring that up.

I'd actually prefer that flipped. I also own property in Bense's home county, Bay, and I know as Gov. he'd be inclined to really look out for the best interest in his own backyard and maybe send some "rewards" their way. I'd also prefer the non-land owning tan man as the photo-op guy.

I would agree with that. Bense would be an excellent Governor. But more than that, he would have been, and may still be, an EXCELLENT U.S. Senator.

I would agree with that. Bense would be an excellent Governor. But more than that, he would have been, and may still be, an EXCELLENT U.S. Senator.

Nah man, I'd like my Senator to stay Nelson. One Rep. Senator is enough. Besides having one Dem. and one Rep. senator best reflects our state.

Jim Davis in '06.

Mike

--

I love it. The Pub's are worried that Charile is a closet liberal or something and the Dem's are worried that Davis is really Jeb in disguise. I had this dream where Lawton Chiles and Jim Fair met in heaven and were whooping it up over this year's crop.

It's interesting that a little thing like a tan-from-a-bottle is enough to turn the Pub's off, or is it that little fling with Katy Harris? That's what creeps me out. The first candidate I ever supported was Barry Goldwater (in your heart, you know he's Right). I'm pretty conservative but don't seem to have much in common with the current bunch of so-called conservatives.

There is no doubt that Crist is going to win the primary, unless someone comes up with one of TJ's smoking guns on him. The general is going to be a cat fight.

Nah man, I'd like my Senator to stay Nelson. One Rep. Senator is enough. Besides having one Dem. and one Rep. senator best reflects our state.

I'm supporting Harris. She is such fun. When she talks to you in person, she get's very into your personal space. She's such a trip. Just think how much entertainment we're going to get if Katy wins. She's totally worth the price of admission.

It's interesting that a little thing like a tan-from-a-bottle is enough to turn the Pub's off, or is it that little fling with Katy Harris?

Turn the Republicans off? Are you serious? It has turned a small minority of Repubs off. Crist has tremendous statewide support.

Archived