Go Gators

2006 Governors Race  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Charlie Crist (R)
    • Tom Gallagher (R)
    • Rod Smith (D)
    • Jim Davis (D)

Any drilling in the Gulf near FL is a loss. The compromise will be whitled away in the future I bet, the distance I mean. Sorry I'll still not be thanking ole Mel for anything and I was sad to see Nelson give in too.

AIF, who I believed you called "the 4th branch of FL gov." (it was them you were talking about?) came out from the get go for oil drilling and sadly they do have a huge influence over FL politics. FL should have been united in no oil drilling period. This Gulf Oil near FL is just a band aid. From what I've read, the supply there isn't much. Question: Will FL get any revenues from this oil or since it's so far offshore will all the money go to the Feds like it does in LA?

Didn't mean just you that get nervous. Charlie is more liberal than the "new improved family man Tom" and I believe thats sorta what TJ was sayin'. Nothin' wrong w/the words liberal or conservative. Be nice if some candidates took some stands in both directions on their platforms and not always just one of those ways. That maybe Crist's best selling point?

The historical figure or some here may feel he was mythological(that point I'll not debate for or against) I refer to is ole JC himself.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any drilling in the Gulf near FL is a loss. The compromise will be whitled away in the future I bet, the distance I mean. Sorry I'll still not be thanking ole Mel for anything and I was sad to see Nelson give in too.

AIF, who I believed you called "the 4th branch of FL gov." (it was them you were talking about?) came out from the get go for oil drilling and sadly they do have a huge influence over FL politics. FL should have been united in no oil drilling period. This Gulf Oil near FL is just a band aid. From what I've read, the supply there isn't much. Question: Will FL get any revenues from this oil or since it's so far offshore will all the money go to the Feds like it does in LA?

Didn't mean just you that get nervous. Charlie is more liberal than the "new improved family man Tom" and I believe thats sorta what TJ was sayin'. Nothin' wrong w/the words liberal or conservative. Be nice if some candidates took some stands in both directions on their platforms and not always just one of those ways. That maybe Crist's best selling point?

The historical figure or some here may feel he was mythological(that point I'll not debate for or against) I refer to is ole JC himself.

Im sorry if I may not read into some of your posts enough and it seems like I get short. Im real busy (hurry up Sept 5 so I can have a frickin vacation) and havent been reading them for detail, just kind of scanning them and getting from it what I thought I saw. I apologize for that.

I agree with you that Gulf Coast drilling is a loss. All Im saying is that, in a perfect world, it wouldnt happen. We dont live in that world, and we ended up with the best possible (or passable) solution.

lol no I did not mean AIF as the 4th branch of Govt. I was wondering why that kept coming up! Interesting question though, I will research that (in my spare time, aka after Sept. 5)

I would say that Charlie is more openly "liberal" than Tom. Tom has a long record of leaning towards the left. A kid around election time is not going to change it, and he cannot hide behind it. I agree more moderates are needed...more moderate to conservatice, that is ;)

Thats one thing I have voiced my opinion against to Carol Jean Jordan and some National higher ups in the Republican party. I hate that God has become politicized, because honestly, I think God would be very disapointed with both political parties. (Even though I do pray to God that Republicans keep winning hahaha j/k :lol: )

No need for apology, I didn't take your response that way. Good know that you were not gung-ho about drilling in the Gulf from the get-go. I definitely agree w/you about politics not mixing w/religion 100%! And I know we both agree that Tom's flip-flop to the righteous man he says he is nothing but a joke and a bad one at that.

So your vacation isn't until 9.5? No long Labor Day fun for you? When will you reside again in Tally or are you back already?

No need for apology, I didn't take your response that way. Good know that you were not gung-ho about drilling in the Gulf from the get-go. I definitely agree w/you about politics not mixing w/religion 100%! And I know we both agree that Tom's flip-flop to the righteous man he says he is nothing but a joke and a bad one at that.

So your vacation isn't until 9.5? No long Labor Day fun for you? When will you reside again in Tally or are you back already?

Correct. The primary is on Sept. 5th. Then we get a little break until the hoopla for the general starts. No real rest for the weary lol. I am back in Tallahassee. Some nice changes since Ive been gone, except for the extremely dissapointing Gameday Centre.

lol...

I'll be one to apologize for that darn Gameday building. I feel my picture taking may have impacted its outcome! :P

As for JC? Yeah the republicans don't own Him and He's very much a liberal in His teachings.

See, thats what Im against. God isnt a liberal nor conservative teacher.

See, thats what Im against. God isnt a liberal nor conservative teacher.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this? And do you know it for a fact or is it just your humble opinion?

Also I think that TJ wasn't calling the deity a liberal, just his/her type of teachings.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know this? And do you know it for a fact or is it just your humble opinion?

Also I think that TJ wasn't calling the deity a liberal, just his/her type of teachings.

I didn't call the "deity" anything, but Jesus is a man, and His teachings, as written in the Holy Bible, are most reflected in the positions taken by so-called liberals.

Florida Democratic Debate

TJ's Scoring Sheet

At the start of the debate I was neutral. I'd wavered between the two candidates for months. Honestly, the only reason I haven't solidly stood behind candidate Rod Smith is because he is from Alachua County. Other than that, before tonight I was on the fense.

Tonight I have decided. Based on each question I scored the candidates. I gave 2 points to the candidate with the best answer on a given question and 1 point to the other candidate. I did this for every question based on who answered best in my personal opinion.

Other factors are at play in my decision, such as how the nominee will fare against the republican. Fortunately my opinion on that issue is reflected in the outcome of my scoring so there is no conflict there.

----------------------------------Davis-----Smith

Opening Statement ---------------2------1

Schools -----------------------------1------2

Class Size --------------------------1------1

Death Penalty ----------------------1------1

Development -----------------------2------1

Everglades -------------------------1------2

Insurance ---------------------------2------1

Guns --------------------------------1------2

Candidate ?s

US Sugar Ads ---------------------2------1

Missing Votes ---------------------1------2

Insurance Rate

Increases --------------------------2------1

Class Size -------------------------1------1

Green Belt Law ------------------- 2------1

Lee-Pitts ---------------------------1------2

Board's ?s

Voting Machine -------------------2------1

State Universities ----------------1------2

Wet/Dry Foot Law ---------------1------2

Intangibles Tax ------------------1------1

Closing Statement ---------------1------2

Smith ------------------------26------27

What did the rest of Tallahassee think. I honestly feel Smith is better suited to go up against Orange Face.

Well, obviously I cant know anything for a fact. its just my HO. I think Dale basically said it right.

Florida Democratic Debate

TJ's Scoring Sheet

At the start of the debate I was neutral. I'd wavered between the two candidates for months. Honestly, the only reason I haven't solidly stood behind candidate Rod Smith is because he is from Alachua County. Other than that, before tonight I was on the fense.

Tonight I have decided. Based on each question I scored the candidates. I gave 2 points to the candidate with the best answer on a given question and 1 point to the other candidate. I did this for every question based on who answered best in my personal opinion.

Other factors are at play in my decision, such as how the nominee will fare against the republican. Fortunately my opinion on that issue is reflected in the outcome of my scoring so there is no conflict there.

----------------------------------Davis-----Smith

Opening Statement ---------------2------1

Schools -----------------------------1------2

Class Size --------------------------1------1

Death Penalty ----------------------1------1

Development -----------------------2------1

Everglades -------------------------1------2

Insurance ---------------------------2------1

Guns --------------------------------1------2

Candidate ?s

US Sugar Ads ---------------------2------1

Missing Votes ---------------------1------2

Insurance Rate

Increases --------------------------2------1

Class Size -------------------------1------1

Green Belt Law ------------------- 2------1

Lee-Pitts ---------------------------1------2

Board's ?s

Voting Machine -------------------2------1

State Universities ----------------1------2

Wet/Dry Foot Law ---------------1------2

Intangibles Tax ------------------1------1

Closing Statement ---------------1------2

Smith ------------------------26------27

What did the rest of Tallahassee think. I honestly feel Smith is better suited to go up against Orange Face.

I didnt get to see it live. I will turn to my best friend TiVo before the night is over before and check it out. Knowing what I know, I would say Smith will debate Davis all over the room.

And please refer to "Orange Face" as Mr. Governor ;)

I was biased going into the debate for Davis, but not dead set against Smith, well except that he makes poor commercials IMO. I'm also biased against the devil that is Big Sugar. I've worked in the planning field in South FL and seen first hand how they operate. Therefore once I found out they were lining Smith's pockets, that pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me.

Also I'm not so sure about Smith's insurance plan b/c I think abolishing the JUA (or whatever the current name is) is very risky business, too risky. I've got beach property now that I am struggling to find insurance for and I know from asking around, I'm not the only one and JUA maybe our only hope. But I'm not very versed in this subject, so please feel free to education me on the subject if you know more.

I think they both did a good job. Nobody stole the show or bombed IMO, but both were fine debaters. I think Davis is a better speaker than Smith, but Smith took it to him good about his absentee voting record.

I do agree w/a lot your scoring TJ. Great way to present that info.

Well, obviously I cant know anything for a fact. its just my HO. I think Dale basically said it right.

I didnt get to see it live. I will turn to my best friend TiVo before the night is over before and check it out. Knowing what I know, I would say Smith will debate Davis all over the room.

And please refer to "Orange Face" as Mr. Governor ;)

Nah... I think I like "Orange Face" better. :P

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I heard a conservative commentator today declare that Crist is a better communicator than was The Great Communicator Ronald Reagan.

His major point was that, given that so much we know of a candidate flows from his TV appearances, that Crist, given his presence and communication skills simply cannot be beaten.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I heard a conservative commentator today declare that Crist is a better communicator than was The Great Communicator Ronald Reagan.

His major point was that, given that so much we know of a candidate flows from his TV appearances, that Crist, given his presence and communication skills simply cannot be beaten.

I'm just loving that if Crist pulls it off, I'll be able to complain about those damn liberal Republicans. Just for the record, from where I sit, Jesus wasn't a liberal and certainly not a conservative. He was a progressive.

I'm just loving that if Crist pulls it off, I'll be able to complain about those damn liberal Republicans. Just for the record, from where I sit, Jesus wasn't a liberal and certainly not a conservative. He was a progressive.

Nope, he wasn't a progressive either. He was an absolute monarch who came to quell the rebellion.

Democracy sucks.

Nope, he wasn't a progressive either. He was an absolute monarch who came to quell the rebellion.

Democracy sucks.

How about we keep it on the candidates in this race and leave The Savior out of this one.

GG, where are the exit poll results? I haven't been able to locate those.

How about we keep it on the candidates in this race and leave The Savior out of this one.

GG, where are the exit poll results? I haven't been able to locate those.

You wont be able to locate them. And, I think the candidates broughtm God into this race (shocking, right?) so as the founder of the thread, I deem it acceptable :)

And Democracy may suck, but its the best option we have.

You wont be able to locate them. And, I think the candidates broughtm God into this race (shocking, right?) so as the founder of the thread, I deem it acceptable :)

And Democracy may suck, but its the best option we have.

Ghost's fav. candidate K. Harris sure has lately. I'm know he's really gettin' a kick out of her latest diatribe.

GG, you are right about democracy for sure. For having polar opposite beliefs on religion and politics, we sure seem to agree on a lot of subjects, especially when it comes to eating establishments.

Ghost's fav. candidate K. Harris sure has lately. I'm know he's really gettin' a kick out of her latest diatribe.

GG, you are right about democracy for sure. For having polar opposite beliefs on religion and politics, we sure seem to agree on a lot of subjects, especially when it comes to eating establishments.

Thats because if you dig deep down between the two political sides, you will be surprised how ridiculously similar they are. Its just where there are differences, they are pretty far apart. Now for the religion, yes, polar opposites haha.

Yes, we do seem to have good taste, literally.

Archived