Granby Tower

utcltjay

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

Definitely nice looking towers. They could also use some new buildings.

Hopefully the residential trend continues for Norfolk, it's a great way to get new towers and life into the city.

Anyone one know the reality factor on this. Pretty likely to happen?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

That is great news for Norfolk. It is great to see some newer development for that region. I can't wait to see them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

http://www.humphreys.com/v3_projects.php?project_type=ob

Page of the architect who will be developing Granby towers amongst other projects in norfolk.

I seem to have started a little debate over on SSC because of a link i've posted to the architects website.

It says the first tower is 25 stories on top of 6 stories of parking (31)

It puts the smaller one at 15 stories also on top of a 6 story parking garage (21)

Does anyone have any more info to verify this?

Also if u look at the # of units per bldg the first tower has 250 (10 per floor?) and the second 150 units (10 per floor?) which leaves no where else for the parking to go but underneath the structure. If i'm reading this right this is a pretty exciting development :).

• 2 months later...

The tidewater area of Virginia really is a major metropolitan area that is overlooked by many people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can't figure that out. Why do people over look this area, it has alot of great potential and cool place to live and companies need to come here. A NBA team needs to come here as well.

what is that other project that was on the board from that site? Where is that going to be?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haven't found out yet. I emailed the developer a few months ago bu t they haven't got back to me. I hope it's here, but i doubt it. It's pretty large scale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wont be surprised if Granby Towers happens to have more than just 400 condos and ultimately taller than where its already projected to be (6+25, 6+15) just simply due to the fact that Trader alone is bring a 1,600 person workforce to downtown.

I wont be surprised if Granby Towers happens to have more than just 400 condos and ultimately taller than where its already projected to be (6+25, 6+15) just simply due to the fact that Trader alone is bring a 1,600 person workforce to downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you are right dude. That is what i think norfolk is banking on. I've heard comments that they where hoping that would influence the granby towers by city officials

Heres a link to the details. http://www.norfolk.gov/News/Press/prdetails.asp?PressID=124

It seems she will be talking mostly about new urbanist ideas but i cant help but assume that they will talk a lot about their project and how it fits in with DT Norfolks revitalization as well (or else the city wouldn't have asked them to speak :D ).

Heres a link to the details. http://www.norfolk.gov/News/Press/prdetails.asp?PressID=124

It seems she will be talking mostly about new urbanist ideas but i cant help but assume that they will talk a lot about their project and how it fits in with DT Norfolks revitalization as well (or else the city wouldn't have asked them to speak  :D ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

anyone going i would like to hear some of the feed back from the meeting. I can't make it due to my schedule.

anyone going i would like to hear some of the feed back from the meeting. I can't make it due to my schedule.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Still don't know if i'll be able to or not. I'd really hate to miss this but my schedule is really hectic.

Better late than never,... I watched the State of the City address and the Mayor confirmed that Granby Tower 1 WILL begin construction before the end of the year.

Another quickie, he said Norfolk's Courts Tower is in the planning to be constructed sometime within the next 5 years and it's estimated cost comes in at almost $85 million (OUCH! That's expensive as hell! lol).

Better late than never,... I watched the State of the City address and the Mayor confirmed that Granby Tower 1 WILL begin construction before the end of the year.

Another quickie, he said Norfolk's Courts Tower is in the planning to be constructed sometime within the next 5 years and it's estimated cost comes in at almost $85 million (OUCH! That's expensive as hell! lol).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may be even more expensive if they build it in conjuction with the federal courts complex. The federal court expansion was supposed to go on the land that Granby towers is going on. The feds sat on it for so long that that land was taken. Now Norfolk is thinking about offering the feds land where their gonna put the courts complex to keep the feds from possibly claiming eminent domain on the Granby property. Norfolk really wants Granby towers to be built.

It may be even more expensive if they build it in conjuction with the federal courts complex. The federal court expansion was supposed to go on the land that Granby towers is going on. The feds sat on it for so long that that land was taken. Now Norfolk is thinking about offering the feds land where their gonna put the courts complex to keep the feds from possibly claiming eminent domain on the Granby property. Norfolk really wants Granby towers to be built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They probably didn't forsee Norfolk expanding the way it is. But they should have stepped in when they seen the land being bought not waiting for all of this to take place. This is very irresponsible of the federal govt.

I just spoke with Marathon Development (builders of Granby Towers), they said that the towers are 100% a go. They said that the Feds are NOT going to get the land and in fact there are several Federal judges that are on the waiting list to purchase some of these condos. They are working on a website for these towers as we speak. The height WILL stay the same and they said if anything it will increase, so we could be looking at some pretty tall buildings.

I just spoke with Marathon Development (builders of Granby Towers), they said that the towers are 100% a go. They said that the Feds are NOT going to get the land and in fact there are several Federal judges that are on the waiting list to purchase some of these condos. They are working on a website for these towers as we speak. The height WILL stay the same and they said if anything it will increase, so we could be looking at some pretty tall buildings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is excellent info, i appreciate it, keep it coming. I hope they do go a bit taller.

Archived