Granby Tower

utcltjay

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a question. Will Granby Tower, the garage, and smaller building be built all on the same block? From the look of the renderings that is what it seems. If all that in the rendering is on the same block, which block will it be on, the block with AT&T or the York high-rise?

I got a question. Will Granby Tower, the garage, and smaller building be built all on the same block? From the look of the renderings that is what it seems. If all that in the rendering is on the same block, which block will it be on, the block with AT&T or the York high-rise?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that originally the towers were going to be built on two lots on the west side of granby street between brambleton and bute street. Now that he has only one tower I believe marathon is negotiating with the City to interrupt York Street which currently runs through the property and make the whole property one lot with York street dumping right into the garage for the tower.

I believe that originally the towers were going to be built on two lots on the west side of granby street between brambleton and bute street.  Now that he has only one tower I believe marathon is negotiating with the City to interrupt York Street which currently runs through the property and make the whole property one lot with York street dumping right into the garage for the tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I kind of hope they don't, or they allow some form of "throughway" through the garage b/c with many developments in many cities, once you start closing off roads or sidewalks you get problems with blocking off areas which can curb development in those surrounding areas. Idk though, either way the new design looks very nice and will be a great addition to the skyline.

--Va. Power has a huge hole dug up and it's roped off with caution tape and cones across the street from Fed. Court Building. Maybe it has something to do with power rerouting for the tower.

--Also, over at the Harbor Heights site, they are still driving piles for the foundation. The D'art center is still standing, but it shouldn't be to much longer.

--The Trader Tower is also busy driving piles a block or so over.

--The larger vacant lot across from the Premiere Theater on Granby is under contract.(according to the real estate billboard) Wonder what the new owners have in mind? Seeing is how there's nothing there just land. It would be new construction and not renovation.

By mid-summer Norfolk should have 2 maybe as many as 3 tower cranes downtown. I'm thinking that Trader will probably only need one, while the large footprint of HH may require 2.

--Va. Power has a huge hole dug up and it's roped off with caution tape and cones across the street from Fed. Court Building. Maybe it has something to do with power rerouting for the tower.

--Also, over at the Harbor Heights site, they are still driving piles for the foundation. The D'art center is still standing, but it shouldn't be to much longer.

--The Trader Tower is also busy driving piles a block or so over.

--The larger vacant lot across from the Premiere Theater on Granby is under contract.(according to the real estate billboard) Wonder what the new owners have in mind? Seeing is how there's nothing there just land. It would be new construction and not renovation.

By mid-summer Norfolk should have 2 maybe as many as 3 tower cranes downtown. I'm thinking that Trader will probably only need one, while the large footprint of HH may require 2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you say "driving piles", is that the same for both Trader and Harbor Heights? Are they doing the same thing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I hope HH gets 2. It is one of the largest buildings in Hampton Roads, and the Cosmopolitan got 2, so we should get 2! :)

"--The larger vacant lot across from the Premiere Theater on Granby is under contract.(according to the real estate billboard) Wonder what the new owners have in mind? Seeing is how there's nothing there just land. It would be new construction and not renovation."

That is a cool little lot I would love to design something for. Hope they put something cool and urban on it.

So vdogg....when does Harbor Heights get a sticky??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno. I guess i could put one up but there doesn't seem to be as much interest in that as there is the Hilton, Trader, Westin etc. We'll see how it goes. If people start posting more pics/updates etc. I'll create a seperate thread for it.

Passing by the site today there were numerous construction vehicles on the Granby lot. While some of these are for the utility relocation they can't possibly all be for that. There was even a vehicle with a wrecking ball on it. Is there any demolition scheduled to go on for the Granby site? Also, the street running through the site (york street?) is now closed off by construction vehicles. This may be part of site prep work that Okinawas friend in planning mentioned (so Gadams can cosolidate his property). It would appear that the pace of preparation for this project has really picked up and it makes me wonder if they may indeed still try and start by fall instead of early next year as was mentioned in the last article. Btw, Gadams is due to submit final site plans within the next 30 days.

Interesting pic in today's paper. A freelance photographer from Chicago is taking a pic to use for promotional and sales purposes for the builder of the Granby Tower.

granby.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was there an article attached to this picture? Is it up on the pilot site or only in the paper.

The pictures are probably for the website which should be up and running by this summer. I can't wait for that! Also, with this going on i'm pretty sure that flurry of activity i saw yesterday was connected to the project. Especially since that basket that he's in looks like a part of the lift i saw yesterday. Somebody should probably go down and take some pics of the area so we can get a feel for exactly the type of equipment is on site and what it's being used for.

Archived