Granby Tower

utcltjay

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just spoke with Robinson Development (builders of the Harbor Heights), it will increase in height to 17 stories.

Harbor Heights website

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So is this the final rendering of the building? If so it looks far better with added details and textures and its nice to see it from the other side rather than the plain textured, Freemason St. garage side view rendering that we've been stuck with for a while. I got a question though, is it REALLY going to be 17 stories because in that rendering I'm on counting 15 in that picture.

I got a question though, is it REALLY going to be 17 stories because in that rendering I'm on counting 15 in that picture.

Like I said, I spoke with the developer (Robinson Devlopment) this morning and was told by them that it was going to increase by two floors. The rendering does have it at 15, but it is a rendering and not the final product.

Like I said, I spoke with the developer (Robinson Devlopment) this morning and was told by them that it was going to increase by two floors. The rendering does have it at 15, but it is a rendering and not the final product.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, this tower originally started at 11. With demand so high and the height on Granby towers still not finalized i'm getting goose bumps thinking about how tall those will wind up :) .

Wow, this tower originally started at 11. With demand so high and the height on Granby towers still not finalized i'm getting goose bumps thinking about how tall those will wind up  :)  .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats great lets hope it goes to 20 floors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be great but i don't think that will happen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could happen. I didn't think they were going to add 6 floors in total to harbor heghts, or 7 floors to the Westin, or 2 to the Trader, but they did. It seems to be the norm rather than the exception to add to a project instead of scaling back. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming days.

Those plans look very retro! Fortunately American towers tend to have a high-quality visual appearance. A few cities over here have a similar tower, but these plans mostly remind me of buildings I've seen in Oakland, CA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that is necessarily bad. honestly in Downtown Norfolk, it is a very good think that it has a variety of designs. Just to mention a few of the towers in Downtown the Norfolk Southern Tower, BB&T Tower, Suntrust Tower and former SouthTrust Bank Tower are all glass ( sky blue, black/dark smoke, reflective ocean blue, and deep ocean blue tinted colors respectively). Dominion Tower is all glass and marble, Bank of America Tower is all glass and concrete as well as the Armada Hoffler Tower in Va. Beach. I don't think buildings have to have this all glass look and honestly while glass buildings are nice, most are one color and I think it brings down a sense of variety in a skyline to see one-shaded, no concrete/marble/steel to their exteriors. The Trader Tower is going to be concrete and glass, Harbor Heights will be concrete, glass, and brick and both the Westin and Granby Towers will be glass and steel and both are set to be very nice additions to their respective cities. As for the upcoming Hilton, I'm willing to say it will be a design of concrete and glass that will come out to be very luxurious and artistic at the same time that will be admired by visitors and praised by historians who are into Italian renaissance architecture and the like.

@ace: I didn't say retro is bad by definition. Good retro is always welcome and this project looks like it could be good, although I would have to see what kind of materials will be used and how it all looks once construction has started.

It could happen. I didn't think they were going to add 6 floors in total to harbor heghts, or 7 floors to the Westin, or 2 to the Trader, but they did. It seems to be the norm rather than the exception to add to a project instead of scaling back. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree i didn't think all of this development in this area was possible its insain

granbytowerrendingbig.gif

With land scarce, all new developments are expected to be multi story. Care will need to be taken to ensure that the designs align with the character and feel of the rest of downtown, Polk said.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/storie...83629&ran=27723

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tim Polk for president! :D . Why isn't this guy the mayor instead of Fraim? B)

I was hoping for two!!!!!!They should make it around 32 stories since they are doing away with the 2nd tower.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah , so was i and i totally agree. That being said, the way they are talking there seems to be a couple of multi-story developments vying for that corner of Norfolk. It seems they did this soley for the purpose of conserving land for the courts complex and other developments that may occur in that area.

Yeah , so was i and i totally agree. That being said, the way they are talking there seems to be a couple of multi-story developments vying for that corner of Norfolk. It seems they did this soley for the purpose of conserving land for the courts complex and other developments that may occur in that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Screw the feds on the court go move in with the city courthouse that they are planning to build.

It seems they did this soley for the purpose of conserving land for the courts complex and other developments that may occur in that area.
Maybe, Maybe not. It says in the article that the tower will be surrounded by four-story buildings. How many? We don't know. And that there will also be an eight story parking garage. I think with all those buildings that block is pretty much filled. There would be no room for the courthouse to expand on that block.

I think they should build it up to 35-40 stories to make up for the other tower not being built
I also would like to see a 40 story tower to make up for the 15 story tower we're not getting. They are still in the design phase and if the demand is there then we could see it break into the 30's.

I also would like to see a 40 story tower to make up for the 15 story tower we're not getting. They are still in the design phase and if the demand is there then we could see it break into the 30's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lets hope it does, i think the demand will be there

They could at least round it off to 30. Why is Norfolk so scared of a 30 story building? It's so maddening. One more floor and they will finally break that psychological cap on the skyline that has existed in Norfolk since the mid 80's. It makes me all the more anxious to learn more about those other projects that are going to be so much taller than what we have downtown. I for one would love to see an upscale resturant go on the top of it. A resturant on the 30th floor in the Granby district would do some insane business.

Maybe they don't see the demand(in their minds) and are skeptacle to go above that and maybe it might be to expensive for the size pilings that they would have to drive there. The city is already 1 foot below sea level so it takes deeper pillings. its still in the design phase so we will see and i don't think its the city its the developers that are setting the height if i'm not mistaken.

Archived