Granby Tower

utcltjay

They could at least round it off to 30. Why is Norfolk so scared of a 30 story building? It's so maddening. One more floor and they will finally break that psychological cap on the skyline that has existed in Norfolk since the mid 80's. It makes me all the more anxious to learn more about those other projects that are going to be so much taller than what we have downtown. I for one would love to see an upscale resturant go on the top of it. A resturant on the 30th floor in the Granby district would do some insane business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like the saying goes, "There is ALWAYS space for one more". But you probably have one of the most ingenious proposals ever in this Downtown boom and it's THAT 30th floor restaurant! That alone will make Granby have another highlight in its long history. Imagine seeing brochures and ads by either the city or the developer, "Come dine in the state's HIGHEST and one of the most luxurious restaurants!" If developers are worried about over-supplying the market with residential buildings then keep it at that height BUT ADD that restaurant on the top! Remember, there is always space for one more!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if this area is ready for something like that. But that would be cool

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If people are willing to spend half their money and time at places like the Cheesecake factory, they'll definately flock to this. Especially with something as new and novel as a rooftop resturant in hampton roads. People aren't used to that type of dining experience around here and who can argue with a meal and a view? :D

If people are willing to spend half their money and time at places like the Cheesecake factory, they'll definately flock to this. Especially with something as new and novel as a rooftop resturant in hampton roads. People aren't used to that type of dining experience around here and who can argue with a meal and a view?  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If people voice for this type of restaurant then they will make, so how would we voice ourselves for them to do this? Can someone email the owner to build something like this?

If people voice for this type of restaurant then they will make, so how would we voice ourselves for them to do this? Can someone email the owner to build something like this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only wish i had that type of control, lol. If i could control development in this city Charlotte would have nothing on us :D . But alas, i'm just a little peon like everyone else. Maybe an anonymous letter to the pilot would do the trick :whistling: . They could put it in their opinion column. It would be titled "Norfolk needs highrise dining" ;) . Then everyone will read that and say "hey thats a great idea". Not likely, but i can dream can't i? :)

Well the courthouse is actually "hollow" when seen from the top. It has one of those courtyards or something I believe. Would it be possibe that they could convert the courtyard into a very modern building rising out of the old post office building? If not, why couldn't the courthouse move altogether a bit up Granby and then the post office building could be converted to lofts/etc. at a very nice price... Just my own thoughts.

Well the courthouse is actually "hollow" when seen from the top.  It has one of those courtyards or something I believe.  Would it be possibe that they could convert the courtyard into a very modern building rising out of the old post office building?  If not, why couldn't the courthouse move altogether a bit up Granby and then the post office building could be converted to lofts/etc. at a very nice price...  Just my own thoughts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, i never knew it was hollow like that. Thats a great idea, i would love to see a tower rise out of the middle of that thing. It would become one of the most unique buildings in the state. I doubt they're gonna move though. There are several federal judges on the waiting list for Granby towers, i presume, because its right across the street. I'm sure the judges have quite a bit of pull in site selection and i doubt they're gonna want to move too far away from what will potentially be their new home.

granbytower.jpg

Much bigger rendering courtesy guynvb from SSP. :D If they add any more floors to this it'll definately give the Westin a run for its money. They have an advantage too because they're gonna be starting construction much later than the Westin which is starting this summer. They can always pull a few floors out of their back pocket after the Westin has already started, though that would be a little sneaky. :ph34r:

That restaurant on the top floor is a great idea.  Even though the concept has been around for quite sometime, it would be one of the coolest things to happen in Downtown Norfolk.  And if not in Granby Tower, how about in the Hilton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Hilton sounds more like it would work better than around condos. Most people don't want people going up and down to a restaurant around their living spaces. Now a hotel would work alot better. Just my opinion though.

The Hilton sounds more like it would work better than around condos. Most people don't want people going up and down to a restaurant around their living spaces. Now a hotel  would work alot better. Just my opinion though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Economically speaking, I agree. Good suggestion man!

The Hilton sounds more like it would work better than around condos. Most people don't want people going up and down to a restaurant around their living spaces. Now a hotel  would work alot better. Just my opinion though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats why I suggested having it in the Hilton. If I lived in Granby Tower, I don't think that I would want people back and forth in my building just to go to a restaurant on the top floor. It just comes across as a better fit in a hotel.

Any guesses on how tall granby towers will be in feet. Judging from the rendering it must be at least in the low 400s. The more i look at it i really think its gonna beat the Westin. It looks like they're planning on some pretty high ceilings judging from that rendering. I think, at the very least, it will be taller than dominion.

Any guesses on how tall granby towers will be in feet. Judging from the rendering it must be at least in the low 400s. The more i look at it i really think its gonna beat the Westin. It looks like they're planning on some pretty high ceilings judging from that rendering. I think, at the very least, it will be taller than dominion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets hope we will get some buildings 500 ft.+ in Norfolk.

From the looks of it, its going to be at least 400 ft.  But sooner or later, (hopefully sooner) its going to be time to break the 30 story and/or 500 foot mark in DT Norfolk.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A few 4-500ft towers will be just what the doctor ordered for the skyline. Dominion tower itself is only 340. I hope the Hilton tops out at at least 400 as well so as to give the core downtown a little extra lift.

A few 4-500ft towers will be just what the doctor ordered for the skyline. Dominion tower itself is only 340. I hope the Hilton tops out at at least 400 as well so as to give the core downtown a little extra lift.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My personal opinion is that the city will build a parking garage beneath the hotel above the conference center with 25 stories of hotel rooms above all this! My guess would be that the new hotel will be 35 stories or 450 feet tall!

My personal opinion is that the city will  build a parking garage beneath the hotel above the conference center with 25 stories of hotel rooms above all this! My guess would be that the new hotel will be 35 stories or 450 feet tall!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm...curious the number you picked. I'm sure you're aware that the James Monroe is 449ft tall. :rolleyes:

Hmm...curious the number you picked. I'm sure you're aware that the James Monroe is 449ft tall.  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:P I thought that I would let the Westin tower at towncenter keep the title for now!

You do realize that you will go down in flames with the announcement of our next new tower don't you? :thumbsup:

:P  I thought that I would let the Westin tower at towncenter keep the title for now!

You do realize that you will go down in flames with the announcement of our next new tower don't you? :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: we'll see, i wish we could just combine skylines. If you were to add Norfolks density to Va Beachs height it would be quite impressive.

:rofl: we'll see, i wish we could just combine skylines. If you were to add Norfolks density to Va Beachs height it would be quite impressive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I say that we jointly build the world's largest tower and place it at Janaf as a start to combining the two skylines! :lol:

I say that we jointly build the South's largest tower and place it at Janaf as a start to combining the two skylines!  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We can make it a poor man's condo for all of us who can't afford to live in the new condos that they are building everywhere else! I think we sell all the units of a 200 story tower! :blink:

Archived