New Orleans Rap

UptownNewOrleans

On a scale of 1-10, how would you guys rate our rap scene? Honestly, I think our hip-hop scene is underrated. The only New Orleans rappers most people are familiar with are Juvenile, B.G., Lil Wayne, Cash Money & No Limit (when they were dominating N.O. rap & the south for all of the 90s, now they are practically dead). I can honestly say that New Orleans rappers do an exceptional job representing where they're from.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a scale of 1-10, how would you guys rate our rap scene? Honestly, I think our hip-hop scene is underrated. The only New Orleans rappers most people are familiar with are Juvenile, B.G., Lil Wayne, Cash Money & No Limit (when they were dominating N.O. rap & the south for all of the 90s, now they are practically dead). I can honestly say that New Orleans rappers do an exceptional job representing where they're from.

Sorry. Lived within NOLA city limits my whole life, and grew up in the Ninth Ward.....but rap's not my cup of tea. Not since it diverged from the more innocent boasting of Run-DMC, Kurtis Blow, Grandmaster Flash, De La Soul, etc. off into gang glorification.

I'm not from New Orleans, and I absolutely hate rap. However, looking in from the outside and seeing some of the big names that have come out of the rap scene in New Orleans, I'd say it's huge. Would I consider it underrated? I guess it depends how you look at it. Atlanta's scene is OVERrated, in my opinion, and I don't think you want that for New Orleans.

Atlanta's scene is OVERrated, in my opinion, and I don't think you want that for New Orleans.

All Atlanta's scene is doing is hurting the Rap industry. That stuff really is crap. There's just no talent, substance, or thought to it. You listen to modern lyricists like Lil Wayne or Jay-Z, where there is actually substance to the stuff, and then you listen to crap like "Dem Franchise Boys" and there is just no comparison.

Average lyrics from Dem Franchise Boys:

"Ride rims, ride rims, ride rims, yea I ride rims. Ride rims, ride rims, ride rims, yea I ride rims." And repeat that for another three minutes.

But I do like Ludacris and Outkast in Atlanta, and a lot of their best stuff is underground, so it doesn't appeal to the "mainstream."

All Atlanta's scene is doing is hurting the Rap industry. That stuff really is crap. There's just no talent, substance, or thought to it. You listen to modern lyricists like Lil Wayne or Jay-Z, where there is actually substance to the stuff, and then you listen to crap like "Dem Franchise Boys" and there is just no comparison.

Average lyrics from Dem Franchise Boys:

"Ride rims, ride rims, ride rims, yea I ride rims. Ride rims, ride rims, ride rims, yea I ride rims." And repeat that for another three minutes.

But I do like Ludacris and Outkast in Atlanta, and a lot of their best stuff is underground, so it doesn't appeal to the "mainstream."

I agree. I think NO has the best rapper in the game right now in LiL Wayne so it's not really underated, but right where it needs to be.

I just wish they'd stop glorifying all of the "activity" that is killing this city. Seems like some kids these days are out of touch with reality and seem to believe they are living a rap video. Go to school, get an education, a job, and spend your money on bettering your life instead of rims that keep spinning. Sorry for the rant.

I wholeheartedly agree, and this is coming from someone who almost lives & breathes New Orleans Rap. The only song I like from DFB (Dem Franchize Boyz) is Lean Wit It, Rock Wit It. I can lean & rock with the best of them, then dance to Snap Yo Fingers by Lil Jon :lol: Back to the topic, I wouldn't say they are necessarily glorifying criminality, simply giving a raw picture of what goes on in the New Orleans ghetto. SBCmetroguy said something I overlooked, the big names that have come out of New Orleans have represented us well, most of their videos were shot in various sections of New Orleans (What would be cool is if the entire French Quarter was used for a B.G or Juvenile video, that would be awesome :shades:). Ask any inner-city kid what they want to be & they'll tell you they want to be a rapper, football or basketball player. That's all fine & good but in case that doesn't fall through, having a back-up plan is important. That's what most of these kids fail to look at. That Is All.

I agree with GoodNews in that we are home to the best rapper in the game right now in Lil Wayne. He doesn't rep New Orleans much, but he really doesn't need to as everyone know's where he is from. I think his claim to be the "best rapper alive since the best rapper retired" in reference to Jay-Z, could definately be true, at least on the mainstream level.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Outkast even though I had no idea he's from Atlanta. And don't forget TI, he's one of the better ATL rappers.

• 5 weeks later...

We grew up listenin to underground stuff from New Orleans. Stuff alot of New Orleans people probably never heard of.

Stuff like Ruthless Juveniles. They from the 9th ward. This was before Juvenile blew up.

Stuff like LOG. Also from the 9th Ward.

And of course we came up on UNLV too.

I like people like MC L, whos from the 7th Ward. He created the term 7th Ward Hardhead.

In my opinion hes the best street rapper to ever drop from New Orleans.

Then you got people like Tim Smooth whos probably the best lyricist ever from New Orleans. People like G-Slimm, the old Mystikal, Ghetto Twiinz, Big Mike (of Rap-A-Lot fame).

Stuff like that. I aint really wit all the mainstream stuff. I like old Cash Money like Tec-9 first album Straight From The Ramp, old UNLV, Kilo G, old BG, etc...

To a certain degree you're right. Ever since No Limit and Cash Money fell off, New Orleans rap has fell off. We still got a few artists making noise like Lil Wayne, B.G., C-Murder, Fiend and some other underground artists. The first 4 artists are all I ever listen to.

You're talking about the Melph projects and yes it is in Uptown with Magnolia. It's N.O.'s only high-rise housing project, 12 stories. It's in between the Magnolia & Calliope, right along MLK in Central City.

• 2 weeks later...

<a href="http://www.allmusicvideocodes.com">

<embed name='RAOCXplayer' src='http://www.allmusicvideocodes.com/asx/14038.asx' type='application/x-mplayer2' width='300' height='300' ShowControls='1' ShowStatusBar='0' loop='true' EnableContextMenu='0' DisplaySize='0' pluginspage='http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Downloads/Contents/Products/MediaPlayer/'></embed></div><br><font style='font-size: 10pt;'>Music Video Codes</font></a>

Atlanta's scene is OVERrated, in my opinion, and I don't think you want that for New Orleans.

I do agree Atlanta's music scene is very overated but the A also some talent. I'm going to say 85% of the music coming out of the A is trash. New Orleans rap scence is more of a urban rap while Atlanta has more of a party rap scene.I think they should've left snap music local instead of forcing it on everyone. The only real person Im feeling out of the A is Jezzy. I don't believe T.I.,Dro or whoever. The two hottest rappers out now are Lil Weezy and Rick Ross.

• 2 weeks later...

Does Baton Rouge even have any big rappers?

not on the level that new orleans has, but anybody that is big on the local scene knows baton rouge has took over. Just like back when No Limit and Cash Money 1st had the underground on lock, alot of local acts out of Baton Rouge are having that kind of movement

Archived